• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jackson Hole Sold

Hawk

The best part of first class is the Club World lounge at the Airport. We go early and get free food and booze before the flight. Especially when you go to Europe. The best.

crank

The best part of first class is the Club World lounge at the Airport. We go early and get free food and booze before the flight. Especially when you go to Europe. The best.
Yes to this. My wife used to travel a bunch for work, business class to Europe, and she had status with Delta. We really enjoyed the lounges. Virgin Atlantic's in London was a standout I remember. She has the opportunity to travel globally with a big project right now, but no longer has the desire or energy. Sadly we have burned through most of our miles and now are paying for flights.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes to this. My wife used to travel a bunch for work, business class to Europe, and she had status with Delta. We really enjoyed the lounges. Virgin Atlantic's in London was a standout I remember. She has the opportunity to travel globally with a big project right now, but no longer has the desire or energy. Sadly we have burned through most of our miles and now are paying for flights.
Which VA Lounge in London? We were at the one right by where our Delta flight departed (I can't remember which part of LHR) and it was nice.

Hawk

Yup Virgin is know for thier hospitality. Good for you guys. We did Britsh Airways at Logan and at Heathrow. Also very good.

crank

Which VA Lounge in London? We were at the one right by where our Delta flight departed (I can't remember which part of LHR) and it was nice.
I can't remember... but it was a really nice place to hangout for a few hours.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can't remember... but it was a really nice place to hangout for a few hours.
The one we were at was spacious. It had a fitness room, a billiards table room, and an outdoor deck. The food and service were great. Virgin is great.

Abominable

Also I really don't understand how you can say security useless...

I wouldn't be getting on a plane if they didn't have the "BS security".

Fair enough. I was more referring to the remove your shoes and empty your water bottle bit, not so much the metal detectors. But didn't mean to diminish anyone's efforts or concerns.

Funny enough I once got held for almost an hour in Amsterdam because they saw the late night street shawarma spilt on my shoes and wanted to test for explosives.

djd66

I travel a ton and literally have millions of miles and hotel points,... its my one perk. Someday my kids will have to fly coach and stay in a motel 6 (Krusty says they are pretty good), but I should be good for a while. Some of the nicest lounges I have been in are in Asia, Cathay Pacific Lounge in Hong Kong is amazing!

So Inclined

yes, but was he truly passionate about wanting to help those young doctors become better skiers or riders? if not, then he should'nt be simply tagging along to help them cut lines in return for a generous tip, cause that would be BS.

fact.
- I believe the extreme manifestation of this phenomenon - some rich hot-skiing swell (and their kids/friends) buying full-day privates with the primary purpose of cutting lines is almost exclusively at big, crowded, pricey mountains with serious terrain like the aforementioned Jackson Hole (or Vail, or Aspen, etc). No one, I imagine, is doing this even at a Mount Snow or Stowe or anywhere around here.
- Also safe to assume any instructors getting this kind of 'golden lesson' would almost certainly be experienced L3s (or on that level.) Likely the most passionate and devoted there by default.
- What everyone - wealthy or not - has figured out over the past couple years (at least at my mountain) is that buying a "group private" for their kids (along with their nieces/nephews/kids' friends) is a deal compared to putting them in kids' programs. So that's what they do. It's typically a mess trying to teach a private group made up of a 4 yo, a 6 yo, a 9 yo and a 13 yo all at the same time, but the system is there to be gamed like that. That's a different thread.

Last edited:

So Inclined

An instructor should be an instructor because they're passionate about wanting to help other people become better skiers/riders.
In principle I agree, but could just as rightly say that those in charge of a ski area should be in charge of a ski area because they're passionate about providing a safe, reasonably-priced, exciting, well-maintained place for skiers and riders to enjoy their sport.
It's an ideal :unsure:

Hawk

- I believe the extreme manifestation of this phenomenon - some rich hot-skiing swell (and their kids/friends) buying full-day privates with the primary purpose of cutting lines is almost exclusively at big, crowded, pricey mountains with serious terrain like the aforementioned Jackson Hole (or Vail, or Aspen, etc). No one, I imagine, is doing this even at a Mount Snow or Stowe or anywhere around here.
- Also safe to assume any instructors getting this kind of 'golden lesson' would almost certainly be experienced L3s (or on that level.) Likely the most passionate and devoted there by default.
- What everyone - wealthy or not - has figured out over the past couple years (at least at my mountain) is that buying a "group private" for their kids (along with their nieces/nephews/kids' friends) is a deal compared to putting them in kids' programs. So that's what they do. It's typically a mess trying to teach a private group made up of a 4 yo, a 6 yo, a 9 yo and a 13 yo all at the same time, but the system is there to be gamed like that. That's a different thread.
I can't speak about Mt Snow, but I do know that it definately goes on at Stowe. The second floor at Spruce Peak lodge is a private club for all the really wealthy owners. All the people at bought the houses above the base and condos in the builing. I have a friend that I ride bicycles with that is in that club and ownes a house. Her and her fiends have a standing lesson with one of the top instructors every Saturday from December to March. It includes some very high placed executives and wives. Again, it does not bother me in the least. If I was that wealthy I would be right in thier with them.

AdironRider

I can't speak about Mt Snow, but I do know that it definately goes on at Stowe. The second floor at Spruce Peak lodge is a private club for all the really wealthy owners. All the people at bought the houses above the base and condos in the builing. I have a friend that I ride bicycles with that is in that club and ownes a house. Her and her fiends have a standing lesson with one of the top instructors every Saturday from December to March. It includes some very high placed executives and wives. Again, it does not bother me in the least. If I was that wealthy I would be right in thier with them.

Wealthy people ski and take private lessons. News at 11.

Hawk

In principle I agree, but could just as rightly say that those in charge of a ski area should be in charge of a ski area because they're passionate about providing a safe, reasonably-priced, exciting, well-maintained place for skiers and riders to enjoy their sport.
It's an ideal :unsure:
You must know some instructors at Sugarbush. Sure they want to help people be better. That is the job and to do it well is pretty hard. But also, most of the insturcors I know that are long term, do this as part of thier income. It is a job and most of them that live up there have at least 2 jobs. They want to get paid to do this work and privates and tips are a huge part of that. Any ski instuctor I know would love to get one of these people or groups that want to go to the front of the line. Get paid to free ski and show peole around the mountain. Hell ya. Easy money.

jimmywilson69

Any ski instuctor I know would love to get one of these people or groups that want to go to the front of the line. Get paid to free ski and show peole around the mountain. Hell ya. Easy money.

Who wouldn't want to do that. and if I could reasonably afford it I might do the same as a paying customer. When I was at Jackson in 2019, the private lesson was $800 for up to 4 people for 4 hours I think. If it was an epic powder day and you had 4 people it might be worth it for a private tour around the mountain while cutting the line. Hell the guy might even be able to teach me a thing or 2

drjeff

Mount Snow has 1 or 2 families who hire the same instructor every weekend and seem to use him for 25% instruction reasons and 75% cutting the line for the Bluebird reasons for atleast the entire morning

BenedictGomez

Funny enough I once got held for almost an hour in Amsterdam because they saw the late night street shawarma spilt on my shoes and wanted to test for explosives.

Last month at EWR my toddler was randomly selected & pulled aside for an explosives check.

skiur

Last month at EWR my toddler was randomly selected & pulled aside for an explosives check.

How long did that take? We're they professional about it? If there was nothing excessive about it than I don't see anything wrong with that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
How does your friend feel about Stowe becoming EPIC?

Edd

Seems ridiculous, but If they didn’t do that then people would hide their contraband on their baby
Yeah, exactly, those guys can't win. The complaints will flow no matter what they do. Not jealous.