• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

JPTracker

Just returned from our annual homeowners meeting. Some of the highlights of the presentations:

6-pack lift. Primary reason for this lift and to move it up to St Georges Prayer is to connect Stateside to the West Bowl. West Bowl permitting is not far enough along to justify spending the $6 mil for the lift right now so the the Bonnie will still be used. West Bowl permitting is progressing but has wildlife, stream and wetland issues. Want at least 16-18 trails to justify new chair. 6-pack and West Bowl are several years away.

Will need more water for snowmaking for West Bowl. One solution proposed is a pipeline direct from the Missisquoi up 242 to Jay, A $5-6mil investment. This is possible because the Missisquoi is a class c river but the Jay Branch Brook is a Class A.

Current bed base 2,400, will be 3,000 by next season, final goal is 4,000 beds (2015-2016)

Stateside hotel will open by Christmas. Currently on schedule.

Recreation Center, to be built next year, will include climbing wall, 160 seat movie theater, volleyball courts, teen center.

Mountain biking to be added, probably just lower mountain to start.

Amphitheater to be located between Learning center and Lodge to hold events similar to VSO concert last year.

New entrance road for the fall.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
West Bowl permitting is progressing but has wildlife, stream and wetland issues.

Raise your hand if you didn't see this coming...
(keeps hands on keyboard :rolleyes:)

I know they had quite a few changes to the layout of West Bowl between Master Plans 4 and 5 to adjust for wetlands and streams. I wonder what other adjustments they are having to make. Bear habitat and Bicknell's Thrush are likely at the top of the "wildlife issues" list.
I also wonder if activities over in the "wilderness" of Big Jay have contributed to the state pushing back on development of North Jay? IIRC, the Big Jay area was swapped to the state and supposed to remain trail free wilderness. The swap of land would allow Jay to develop along the ridges of the main valley where the resort is. However, as we know, the Big Jay bowl is hardly trail free wilderness.

fbrissette

Just returned from our annual homeowners meeting. Some of the highlights of the presentations:

6-pack lift. Primary reason for this lift and to move it up to St Georges Prayer is to connect Stateside to the West Bowl. West Bowl permitting is not far enough along to justify spending the $6 mil for the lift right now so the the Bonnie will still be used. West Bowl permitting is progressing but has wildlife, stream and wetland issues. Want at least 16-18 trails to justify new chair. 6-pack and West Bowl are several years away.

I did not think it was as pessimistic as that. Bill said that he thought permitting would be finalized this year. We got some interesting insights as to how it works however. Jay asks for X chairlifts and Y trails. State counters by saying you only get 2 runs and 1 chairlift. Then, they negotiate back and forth, and clearly, the economic windfalls to the region have a big say in how much the State will concede in the end.

Will need more water for snowmaking for West Bowl. One solution proposed is a pipeline direct from the Missisquoi up 242 to Jay, A $5-6mil investment. This is possible because the Missisquoi is a class c river but the Jay Branch Brook is a Class A.

Current snowmaking pond is operating at its limit. Additional snowmaking cannot come from the Jay Branch Brook. The investment for drawing water from the Missisquoi River only makes sense if the West Bowl is a go. This would mean snowmaking on the West Bowl, but also additional snowmaking capability on the rest of the mountain.

Current bed base 2,400, will be 3,000 by next season, final goal is 4,000 beds (2015-2016)
My understanding is a little bit different. 3000 by next season is what I heard. They will add another 400 beds next year for a total of about 3400 beds. After next year (2014) all work should be completed on the resort east side (Entrance all the way to Tram base). Their conceptual development plan was always for 4000 beds. The rest of the beds will come with additional development linked to the West Bowl.

Mountain biking to be added, probably just lower mountain to start.

Walter Elander mentioned Mountain bike trails for next Spring.

A few numbers to add:

- West Bowl development is estimated at 20 millions.
- skier-visit for last season was 400000, an increase of 70000 from the previous year.
- they also had 320000 visits to the waterpark

Other interesting tidbits:

in 2004 70% of their business was from the Burlington and Montreal areas.
Last season: 14% from Burlington, 19% from Montreal, 35% from Boston and 20% from NY.

Bill specifically mentioned that the current uphill capacity was well matched to the current downhill capacity of the hill (I strongly agree with this). As such, faster lifts or new lifts will only be put in place when the downhill capacity of the mountain is increased (West Bowl).

The new day lodge will have twice the size of the old one.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

Current snowmaking pond is operating at its limit. Additional snowmaking cannot come from the Jay Branch Brook. The investment for drawing water from the Missisquoi River only makes sense if the West Bowl is a go. This would mean snowmaking on the West Bowl, but also additional snowmaking capability on the rest of the mountain.

Aren't they putting in the new sewer line under Rt 242 this summer? Too bad they aren't also burying pipe for a future connection to the Missisquoi as well. That would save some $ to bury both pipes at the same time. However, that would be a gamble to do it if it never happens in the end.

BigJay

Aren't they putting in the new sewer line under Rt 242 this summer? Too bad they aren't also burying pipe for a future connection to the Missisquoi as well. That would save some $ to bury both pipes at the same time. However, that would be a gamble to do it if it never happens in the end.

I haven't been up 242 in over a month... but if they were redoing (rebuilding) (foundation, pipes, drainage, etc.) 242, i would make sure that the new lines for snowmaking are put in at the same time... while everything is excavated, it costs pennies to add a pipe while your on the side. Adding a line once all is done would be pricey as a standalone project.

As for Mountain Biking: Owl's Head (20min north of Jay) is currently planning and building MTB trails around the base area and towards the golf course. 12km (8mi) will be put in this year. 3 years out, they want to have 50km of trails for all habilities. With many trails opportunity in the area and a future indoor bike park at Burke, N.VT will soon be a mountain biking mecca.

Hope Jay Peak jumps on the saddle and starts planning new trails! I know Hardy Avery from Stowe was out there 3-4 years ago to flag some trail corridors around the golf course... but now, should it all move stateside with summer activities moving to this side?

thetrailboss

Staff member
As for Mountain Biking: Owl's Head (20min north of Jay) is currently planning and building MTB trails around the base area and towards the golf course. 12km (8mi) will be put in this year. 3 years out, they want to have 50km of trails for all habilities. With many trails opportunity in the area and a future indoor bike park at Burke, N.VT will soon be a mountain biking mecca.

Hope Jay Peak jumps on the saddle and starts planning new trails! I know Hardy Avery from Stowe was out there 3-4 years ago to flag some trail corridors around the golf course... but now, should it all move stateside with summer activities moving to this side?

Kingdom Trails/Burke is already a mecca. Good timing for Bill Stenger and company since many a former Burke owner
could never get anything going in the summer.

Mpdsnowman

It is a beautiful area in the Summer and its hard to beat it when it comes to mountain biking. It will be interesting to see if the new management takes (or sort of takes) hold of that nice cash cow niche. Im sure the locals around the mountain have their heads up out of the grass on this one. Mountain biking really does bring in good money...

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Picture of hotel/lodge construction from Jay's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/JayPeakFan#!/JayPeakFan

Looks like the hotel section consists of prebuilt pods that get stacked together like containers on a ship.

943578_10151720269104441_1864382449_n.jpg

Smellytele

thetrailboss

Staff member
Certainly makes construction a lot faster. I wonder how the quality of the units will be?

And too bad that we don't see a lift construction crew working there....

dlague

It looks like the Bonadventure terminal is missing close to the new Hotel. Is Bonnie going to get adjusted for this next season or is the Powerline lift going in? I have not hear of any news about the lift on Stateside. Cannot keep track.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It looks like the Bonadventure terminal is missing close to the new Hotel. Is Bonnie going to get adjusted for this next season or is the Powerline lift going in? I have not hear of any news about the lift on Stateside. Cannot keep track.

They (quietly) announced that Powerline is not happening this season. They are moving the Bonnie terminal uphill IIRC.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
With all of the new development at Jay it looks like plans for big conventions are starting to roll in (you'll get the pun if you keep reading).
http://new.pitchengine.com/pitches/68f8604c-2b23-4fae-8e78-bca36ef75155

Gonna be some nice cars rolling around the NEK that week. My guess is they will be doing cruises between Jay and Burke via Lake Willoughby. The Burke Toll road will likely be busy too. Lot of photo ops around the area for owners.

This part kind of surprised me: "The autocross and time-speed-distance events require a venue to meet specific needs, something Jay Peak was in a unique position to meet as the resort’s ownership recently purchased the nearby Newport Airport.”
Apparently, The Jay ownership purchased the operational rights to the state airport. I had no idea that was even possible.