• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jim McKay

trtaylor

Jim McKay, the voice of ABC's Wide World of Sports, has passed away.

I remember vividly, watching skiing many Saturday afternoons on Wide World of Sports. A very distinctive voice, I associate him in my mind with all of televised winter sports.

Bummer.

Mikey1

It's a sad day. I will always remember him for his great Olympic coverage, especially the tragic 1972 Summer games in Munich. Great broadcaster.

frozencorn

It's still tough to this day watching Bob Costas try to pull off what McKay mastered with the Olympics.

Great man. Awesome broadcaster. The best.

jack97

agony of dee-feet! I still think of that phrase every time I wipeout.

The is just so ingrain into a generation of people.

I use to love watching WWS b/c I got to see other sporting events from other countries, same for the Olympics. Right now, it just not the same since American network coverage is about showing which American will do well. I liked it when the coverage was about the sport and the athletes themselves and not about nationalism.

frozencorn

I use to love watching WWS b/c I got to see other sporting events from other countries, same for the Olympics. Right now, it just not the same since American network coverage is about showing which American will do well. I liked it when the coverage was about the sport and the athletes themselves and not about nationalism.

My sentiments exactly.

darent

The is just so ingrain into a generation of people.

well said,It was great growing up watching WWS and having JIm in your living room.

Angus

this caught my eye today

from the washington post's review of Jim Nantz's new book

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/10/AR2008061001753.html

"My father loved sports, he appreciated it for what it was. He loved the stories that came out of it. To him, Wide World of Sports was like a travelogue, a show that took us to so many different places and let us look at other cultures. He saw it as a vehicle to expand our minds. It's how my dad looked at it and how I've always looked at it."