• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 04/30/06 TR and Pics

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Skied: April 30, 2006
Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Warm, Spring conditions, Soft Bumps, Some Bare Spots
Trip Report: What a differance a week makes. Last week plain sucked between that and my wife's knee, I decided not to go up this weekend. Long story short, Saturday my wife's knee suddenly felt better, forcast looked good, called BobR who was up in K to see how conditions were. Bob tells me they were great, all system go, we were bar hopping in Killington by 6:30 that evening :)

Next morning didn't plan on getting out too early, but when I woke up to warm temps and bluebird skies, I just didn't see a reason to waste the day in the hotel. We got to the mountain by about 8:30 ran into some Zoners, chatted a bit and got on the lift by about 9:00. Conditions were great, Superstar was groomed but at the same time bumps were left intact on skiers left. We started out taking the Skylark/Bittesweet combo, all nice soft snow which bumped up very quickly, and these were some of the softest, sweetest bumps you could ever ski. Skied this trail a couple times with my wife, then she decided to take a break. Tried Bittersweet, the Black Diamond part, which was very bumped up. The bumps were great, only problem there was some rocks starting to come throug in parts. Then went to try Superstar, the headwall was all bumps and a fair amount of rocks coming through, once you got past the rocks the rest was Great! A combination of bumps and groomed trail, which even the groomed part started getting bumped up very quickly. All in all a great day of skiing and both me and my wife are very happy we decided to go at the last minute. She tought her season was over two weeks ago, now she was smiling. She smiles, I smile :) Pics can be found here: http://killingtonaccessrd.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=37

Vortex

Andyzee. I would have liked K on Sat better if I could have hung out longer. It was really getting nice as departed The only problem was all the little pebbles in the rippons that weere middle superstar. Same as you came into the BitterSeet/skylark merge. I hope I said that right. Very glad to hear V made an apperance back on skies. thankx for the report.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Bob R said:
Andyzee. I would have liked K on Sat better if I could have hung out longer. It was really getting nice as departed The only problem was all the little pebbles in the rippons that weere middle superstar. Same as you came into the BitterSeet/skylark merge. I hope I said that right. Very glad to hear V made an apperance back on skies. thankx for the report.

Yeah, V was very happy. It appears that for snow conditions Sunday was a better day, the snow was soft right from the start. However rocks and pebbles were not only in the middle section of Superstar, that wasn't too much of a problem, but they were at the headwall as well. That seemed to be a bigger issue, but the skis made it with nothing more but minor scratches, and the day was a stellar day of spring skiing. :snow:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Bob R said:
I had some many dings in my skies my wife was helping me unload the gear and said what happend? I just laughed.

Hehe, if your day was anything like mine, those dings just put a smile on your face. Nice reminders of a good day of skiing.

Greg

Staff member
Sweet looking bumps here:

P4300045.JPG

~~drool~~~ :p

Charlie Schuessler

A friend & I were there Sunday and had a blast until about 2:30 where Superstar was becoming too crowded and the headwall was nasty rock city. We found Skylark & Bittersweet much less crowded and skied all three trails all day long.

It is much nicer closing the season out on a warm sunny day than cloudy-raining days.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Charlie Schuessler said:
It is much nicer closing the season out on a warm sunny day than cloudy-raining days.

Yeah, it was a great day to finish out the season, lift serviced that is, and actually got some color yeseterday, racoon eyes and all :)