• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington - Friday, 11/10/2006 (contingent on opening)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Zook - you can grab an Amtrak train right in downtown Rutland, 15 minutes from Killington. The Ethan Allen Express goes by way of Albany and is 5-1/2 hours to NYC.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I put this in the skiing and snowboarding forum, but since it'll effect this trip figured I might well put here as well. This from spinmasterK on KZone:

spinmaster said:
Oh, by the way ... we're going to be making snow tonight and for the next five days so the report will be changed in the morning and updated daily from here on out. Plus, I'll have more photos too!
Now do we all feel better?

loafer89

NOAA is predicting a significant weather pattern change with an inland running storm track next week (rain) and much warmer temperatures by midweek. I think that I will go up on the 7th if Killington is opened and the forecast holds for next week.

Greg

Staff member
Not looking good right now...

Check this out:

spinmaster said:
9:00 a.m. -p Currently 24 degrees at the Mixing Bowl and we have 155 guns on line covering Rime, Reason, Goat Path, Killink & MTS.
Now the plan moving forward is that will will continue to make snow at the top of the mountain through this weekend. Due to the latest weather forecast which has warm temperatures and a chance of r**n for Tuesday and Wednesday, we will not be making snow from mid-mountain down. Check Matt Noyes weather discussion for a full explanation: http://www.mattnoyes.net/
The Million $ Question: We will attempt to cover the bottom of the mountain in order to provide top-to-bottom skiing when the next snowmaking weather window opens. As of today though, that doesn't look too promising until the week of Nov. 13th.

That is wicked lame. I am pissed. They could open Wed-Fri of next week if they wanted to. They did it in 2004 after 5-6 days of snowmaking...

I'm still holding out hope. Perhaps this is a matter of under-promise / over-deliver? I doubt it, but you never know... Plus the weather pattern can change...

Keep the positive vibes people. And maybe something else will open that could be a contigency plan. I am determined to ski on the 10th!

Greg

Staff member
That news just made me sick!! I am in to a contigency plan... Somebody will be open by the 10th.

Enter Win and the mighty Sugarbush..? ;)

Seriously though Killington, break out the trucks if you have to. Pipe-dream, I know...

Grassi21

That news just made me sick!! I am in to a contigency plan... Somebody will be open by the 10th.

Same here. I've already requested the day off.

Don't forget about mighty Woodbury. We can BBQ at my place in Southbury afterwards.... just kidding about Woodbury. I'm willing to BBQ anytime.

loafer89

Check this out:

That is wicked lame. I am pissed. They could open Wed-Fri of next week if they wanted to. They did it in 2004 after 5-6 days of snowmaking...

I'm still holding out hope. Perhaps this is a matter of under-promise / over-deliver? I doubt it, but you never know... Plus the weather pattern can change...

Keep the positive vibes people. And maybe something else will open that could be a contigency plan. I am determined to ski on the 10th!

100% in agreement, very lame on the part of Killington, but expected with a company on a tight budget. At least they could open with the gondola/truck method if they wanted to, but they have made it clear they do not.

At the very least I may go to Woodbury with Warren, perhaps on sunday.

Greg

Staff member
That news just made me sick!!
For as extremely excited and distracted I've been for the past 12 days, I've now done a complete 180. Sick is right. I feel like vomiting... :( :puke: I don't know why I do this to myself every year...

What really sucks about it is they're not even going to blow snow at the lower elevations so even if the warm-up doesn't happen or is only a slight warm-up, or the storm track changes (we're 4-5 days out folks!), we're still outta luck. I'm beside myself.

2knees

talk about a kick to the nuts. I was all hyped up for this until i saw dave's post on killingtonzone last night. I thought maybe, just maybe, it was an under promise/over deliver thing like greg said. that doesnt appear to be the case though.

Grassi21

100% in agreement, very lame on the part of Killington, but expected with a company on a tight budget. At least they could open with the gondola/truck method if they wanted to, but they have made it clear they do not.

At the very least I may go to Woodbury with Warren, perhaps on sunday.

Now you have me thinking. I'm ten minutes away and jonesing real bad. Maybe I'll take a ride this weekend.

How bad is that rope tow?

Greg

Staff member
talk about a kick to the nuts
Yep. That about sums it up...

Now you have me thinking. I'm ten minutes away and jonesing real bad. Maybe I'll take a ride this weekend.

How bad is that rope tow?

http://forums.alpinezone.com/10946-woodbury-open-4pm-today.html

Never done it.

Okay, folks - let's re-group. I would be on board to just about any lift-serviced skiing within say a 4.5 hour drive. Maybe there will be other options? Sugarbush, Mount Snow, Hunter, Jiminy (very unlikely) are all places I would consider. Maybe even Sunday River, but I would probably need to head up Thursday night and crash somewhere.

Grassi21

Maybe there will be other options? Sugarbush, Mount Snow, Hunter, Jiminy (very unlikely) are all places I would consider. Maybe even Sunday River, but I would probably need to head up Thursday night and crash somewhere.

I'm down for almost anything. I would have to pass on anything that requires an overnight stay.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I say we stick with Killington on the 10th and have a contingency plan in place, not sure what. I wouldn't want to waste a vacation day on Woodbury, Sugarbush is not planing on opening before the 18th, maybe Bellyeare?

loafer89

I think that it might be in our best interest to try to get together early next week before the predicted warmup and rain chances (tuesday night - thursday) come through. I can get out on tuesday if needed. Anyone that is opened at that point would have fresh snow surfaces and active snowmaking.

Just my 0.2 worth

loafer89

I say we stick with Killington on the 10th and have a contingency plan in place, not sure what. I wouldn't want to waste a vacation day on Woodbury, Sugarbush is not planing on opening before the 18th, maybe Bellyeare?

Belleayre says they will open on November 11th.

Greg

Staff member
If they're not making snow this weekend on the lower elevations, and the truck option is not on the table, we're outta luck for sure. I would bite on a trip to any of the Catskill areas.

I think that it might be in our best interest to try to get together early next week before the predicted warmup and rain chances (tuesday night - thursday) come through. I can get out on tuesday if needed. Anyone that is opened at that point would have fresh snow surfaces and active snowmaking.
Not sure I can swing it. But feel free to fire up a new thread here in T&E and propose something...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I think K is out..They don't even have the guns on the lower part of the mountain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So here is what I think:

1). For this outing, some folks have already made arrangements for Killington. So it is best that we stick with Killington. That said, other people can plan other outings at different places.

2). Re: Date. I think we should stick with the 10th but have a back-up date in mind. Again folks can get together on their own, but for this event we should try to make arrangements that meet most folk's goals. FWIW Fridays and weekends (I know, I know) are probably the best for most.

3). I'd keep the optimism. Many folks are relying on national sources, like Accuweather, which may not be as accurate. We won't know what the weather will be until the day after.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.