• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington...Lodging Question

JoeyL

First hello to everyone. I'm new to this site....discovered it while I was on another.

My question is this....I'd like to take my family skiing at Killington Thanksgiving weekend...leaving Friday morning and coming back Sunday late afternoon.

I haven't been there in ages and would like some recommendations on lodging either on or at the base of the mountain.

Also at that time of year what type of conditions can you expect...I know it depends on the weather but with normal weather patterns....how many trails on the mountain could be open around this time.

My son and I are pretty good skiers....my wife and two daughters are middle of the road intermediate.

Thanks very much for your help.

Geoff

JoeyL said:
My question is this....I'd like to take my family skiing at Killington Thanksgiving weekend...leaving Friday morning and coming back Sunday late afternoon.

I haven't been there in ages and would like some recommendations on lodging either on or at the base of the mountain.

Also at that time of year what type of conditions can you expect...I know it depends on the weather but with normal weather patterns....how many trails on the mountain could be open around this time.

My son and I are pretty good skiers....my wife and two daughters are middle of the road intermediate.

I've skied Thanksgiving at Killington for 25 years. Personally, I think it's the absolute worst weekend of the year to ski Killington. In a typical year, the terrain is very limited and they get a huge influx of people sharing a very limited number of acres. The only mitigating factor this year is they sold an awful lot of cheap season passes that black out Thanksgiving.

There's no such thing as "typical" since the amount of terrain they have depends on how cold it's been. In an average year, you can expect the K1 gondola, the Glades/NorthRidge area, a few ways down Snowdon, a way down Rams Head, a way down Snowshed, and at least one way down from the Superstar quad.

I've been there years where the only thing open was Rime under the Glades triple. I've been there years where there were several expert trails open like Superstar, Highline, Cascade, East Fall, & Bear Claw.

At that time of year, the only thing "on" the mountain is the Grand Summit. Any other place you stay will require taking some kind of shuttle. Parking is a disaster early in the year and you're going to have a long walk from your car to skiing if you don't get there early.

JoeyL

I've been to Sunday river a bunch of times.....just want to get an idea of what it's like that time of year up there as well.

Time off for me is precious...gotta spend it wisely.

tirolerpeter

Where to go?

JoeyL said:
I've been to Sunday river a bunch of times.....just want to get an idea of what it's like that time of year up there as well.

Time off for me is precious...gotta spend it wisely.

For the same money, you could go to Salt Lake. There are any number of packages available through
Skiutah.com or, PM me and I will gladly give you many ideas on how to put it together yourself for very little money. I go out there every year, (planning a January trip with three buddies this year) and have always found terrific snow conditions from mid November onward.

Geoff

Given the state of Killington at the moment, I'd advise anyone thinking of paying money to ski Killington on Thanksgiving to avoid it. They still haven't started making snow.

Grassi21

I'm planning a trip to Killington sometime in February. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the WiffleTree condos? I read a few posts on another site that ripped it a new cornhole. But the price is cheap compared to some other locations I looked at.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Yes this is my first post and yes I will use this emoticon frequently. I just wish they were Jack and Cokes...

:beer:

bvibert

Staff member
Grassi21, I don't have any answer to your question, I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. :beer: :D

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Grassi21 said:
I'm planning a trip to Killington sometime in February. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the WiffleTree condos? I read a few posts on another site that ripped it a new cornhole. But the price is cheap compared to some other locations I looked at.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Yes this is my first post and yes I will use this emoticon frequently. I just wish they were Jack and Cokes...

wiffletree is ok..They are older then the other condos and they look it. Its still not a bad place to stay. Check trailcreek I think the prices are about the same.

Tyrolean_skier

Grassi21 said:

Thanks in advance.

May I suggest that you ask the same question at www.killingtonzone.com. You will probably get more responses regarding Whiffletree. From what I know, they are considered to be on the low end of the condos at Killington. However, I have a friend that owns one of them and I know that he redid practically the whole condo last year so you may luck out with his or one like it.

kcyanks1

Re: Killington Lodging for Turkeyday

ThinkSnow said:
I work p/t for a ski/snowboard travel agency called "Snosearch." Check out their rates for the holiday weekend:

http://www.snosearch.com/East/ThanksgivingKillington.htm

Tell Jerry that Tom sent you!

No affiliation at all, but at least for large group trips (like 48 students), Snosearch is great. I organized a trip last year to Sugarbush with Jerry and am doing another one this year to Sugarbush, and someone else in my group is doing a trip to Killington. I'm not sure what their personal packages are like, but if you need a coach bus and a dozen rooms for a group (and meals as a group if you go to Sugarbush and stay at the Powderhound), it's a good choice.