• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kitchen Appliance Suggestions

TheBEast

Trying to research some kitchen appliances.

Dishwasher - Seems like the only real difference is how many cycles the machine has, whether it is a quiet operation and if it has a delayed start. We're looking at some mid-range models from Bosch. Seems like you really don't need to go high end (over $800) to get something with some decent features.

Stove - Looking for a slide-in with a flat back (countertop will go on 3 sides of the stove) and a smooth cooking surface. Whirlpool seems to have a couple of good models at Lowe's that we're looking at.

Suggestions/comments?

Looking to take advantage of the tax-free weekend in MA coming up!

wa-loaf

Dishwasher - Seems like the only real difference is how many cycles the machine has, whether it is a quiet operation and if it has a delayed start. We're looking at some mid-range models from Bosch. Seems like you really don't need to go high end (over $800) to get something with some decent features.

I prefer dishwashers with a stainless steel tub. I think they clean a little better, are quieter and just feel more solid. Also one with the heating element hidden helps with avoiding a melted mess if you have something plastic that drops through during the wash.

ctenidae

We went all Jenn-Air when we gutted our kitchen 2 years ago. They had a great promotion going on.
Bosch and Whirlpool are both solid, but I'd look at getting both items from the same line so they match, and you may be able to get a twofer deal (when we bough a stove, oven, microwave, dishwasher and fridge all together, we got something like $750 back).

MR. evil

A family friend owns an appliance repair business. He has told us to stay away from anything LG. They look nice and have great features, but he says they are nothing but problems.

hammer

Bought a mid-range (~ $600) Bosch dishwasher from Lowe's a while ago...gets constant use. Is a bit smaller than the POS Kenmore it replaced, and the lack of a heating element means we have to be good about keeping the Jet Dry container filled and we do end up towel drying a bit on occasion. Wash cycle is also longer. Pluses are that it's quiet, which is great since our 1st floor plan is a bit open, and it supposedly uses a lot less energy (although with running the A/C this summer I can't tell by my astronomical electric bill).

TheBEast

Bought a mid-range (~ $600) Bosch dishwasher from Lowe's a while ago...gets constant use. Is a bit smaller than the POS Kenmore it replaced, and the lack of a heating element means we have to be good about keeping the Jet Dry container filled and we do end up towel drying a bit on occasion. Wash cycle is also longer. Pluses are that it's quiet, which is great since our 1st floor plan is a bit open, and it supposedly uses a lot less energy (although with running the A/C this summer I can't tell by my astronomical electric bill).

Yeah looking at one in this range at Lowe's. What's the Jet Dry container?

So doesn't seem to dry things as well?

Whatever we get will be replacing at least a 10+ year old dishwasher, so will be loads better!

hammer

Yeah looking at one in this range at Lowe's. What's the Jet Dry container?

So doesn't seem to dry things as well?

Whatever we get will be replacing at least a 10+ year old dishwasher, so will be loads better!
It's the container where you put the rinse agent...I call it the "Jet Dry container" but I'd guess that rinse agent container would be more correct.

The model I have has a stainless steel interior and does not have a heating element.

Here's an article I found that sums up the operation pretty well (it dries by condensation) and gives some tips on getting the dishes to come out dryer. We've actually found it to do OK.

http://www.lesjones.com/2009/08/20/why-isnt-my-brand-new-bosch-dishwasher-drying-the-dishes

deadheadskier

Staff member
Only recent purchase was a Maytag Dishwasher about a year and a half ago. Spent about $500 on it. Works like a charm.

Only feature I wish it had, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one is a timer for how long the cycle has to go until it's complete.

ctenidae

Only recent purchase was a Maytag Dishwasher about a year and a half ago. Spent about $500 on it. Works like a charm.

Only feature I wish it had, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one is a timer for how long the cycle has to go until it's complete.

The Bosch in Connecticut has that. Always irks me that it starts at like 90 minutes. I could have them all cleaned, dried, and put away in 20, but that's not much fun, either.

hammer

The Bosch in Connecticut has that. Always irks me that it starts at like 90 minutes. I could have them all cleaned, dried, and put away in 20, but that's not much fun, either.
Mine starts at 120-130 minutes...but I'd rather just load and push the button. Stuff doesn't get put away until the next day, which is one of my son's few chores.

WakeboardMom

Read Consumer Reports. I've had several KitchenAids and been very happy with all of them. I love the one that's in my house now; as someone else here said, when you have an open floor plan, a dishwasher is important, and mine is. I don't think you have to spend tons of money...the model I have is second from the top.

The dishwasher at the lake house SUCKS. My husband saw it on clearance at Lowe's and bought it on a whim. As he was installing it, I was reading reviews of it and all those sucky reviews were dead-on. Racks suck, dryer sucks, wheels fall off routinely and takes 130 minutes for a "regular" cycle...after which they are still wet.

I've found that Consumer Reports is the best bet for solid info.

TheBEast

It's the container where you put the rinse agent...I call it the "Jet Dry container" but I'd guess that rinse agent container would be more correct.

The model I have has a stainless steel interior and does not have a heating element.

Here's an article I found that sums up the operation pretty well (it dries by condensation) and gives some tips on getting the dishes to come out dryer. We've actually found it to do OK.

http://www.lesjones.com/2009/08/20/why-isnt-my-brand-new-bosch-dishwasher-drying-the-dishes

Good to know. I'm sure this would have caused a few scratched heads if we didn't know about this before.

mlctvt

Are you looking for a gas or electric cooktop?
What size 30", 36", 40" , 48" etc?

ctenidae

how.does.a.bosch.dishwasher.work.the.secret.is.out.jpg

The real reason Bosh dishwashers are so quiet.

TheBEast

Are you looking for a gas or electric cooktop?
What size 30", 36", 40" , 48" etc?

Electric, 30"

Working on a kitchen remodel in September to get our house ready to sell in a few years, so are really looking for good solid non-hassle appliances in a mid-tier price range.

hammer

Bosch service - fail

As much as I like my Bosch dishwasher I've had a very frustrating experience with their service department...

(warning...long rant)

1YO Dishwasher broke last week...does not drain and I've checked everything that does not involve pulling the unit out and disassembling it. Called Bosch customer service last Monday and they set up an appointment for Wednesday afternoon, 4-hour window. Was told that parts should still be covered but that I'd have to pay for the labor...OK, no extended service contract so that's fair.

Got a phone call on Wednesday morning and the service rep said that the technician had a personal emergency and could not make it. Re-scheduled for Friday afternoon. Not happy about the situation but at least I wasn't home already on Wednesday waiting.

On Friday, I'm working from home all day...had another visit in the AM. Wait around all day and get a call from the technician around 5:15 and he says that he's 20 miles away and there's a lot of traffic. Asks if he can come Saturday. At this point I'm more peeved...could have gone into the office if I knew he wasn't going to get to me until the end of the day. In addition, I had something to do on Saturday (college visit for my son) so I told him that I had no problem waiting for him to show up Friday evening.

Next call is at 7:30 from the technician...he decided to go home for the evening instead of stopping by. I told him I was not available on Saturday and he promised that he would stop by at 7AM to look at the dishwasher.

On Saturday morning, we're getting ready to leave for the college tour and 7AM comes and goes, no call from the technician. We head out as planned and I get no phone call all day. At this point I'm quite frustrated.

On Monday morning, I called up Bosch customer service right when they opened up at 8 AM (5 AM Pacific time) and told them the whole story. I made it quite clear that I didn't appreciate that the technician basically blew me off over the weekend and that I wanted someone else to come out for the service visit. They were apologetic and I was assured that the issue was going to be elevated. I waited around all day Monday for a call back from a service manager...nothing. Finally I called up again at around 5 PM and insisted on a different technician to come out ASAP. I now have an appointment with a local appliance dealer's service department on Friday morning...with everything (including labor) on Bosch's tab.

I don't mind getting the labor costs covered for my troubles, but I would have preferred not to have the hassles to begin with. I've also realized how much we depend on our dishwasher...situation's not as bad as having a clothes washer or dryer or a fridge break, but we use the dishwasher every day.

The main thing that aggravates me about this experience is that people who do service calls seem to think that everyone has the time/ability to wait around at home all day for them. I'm fortunate since in my line of work I can work from home, but there are a lot of people (my spouse included) who can not.

Puck it

As much as I like my Bosch dishwasher I've had a very frustrating experience with their service department...

(warning...long rant)

1YO Dishwasher broke last week...does not drain and I've checked everything that does not involve pulling the unit out and disassembling it. Called Bosch customer service last Monday and they set up an appointment for Wednesday afternoon, 4-hour window. Was told that parts should still be covered but that I'd have to pay for the labor...OK, no extended service contract so that's fair.

Got a phone call on Wednesday morning and the service rep said that the technician had a personal emergency and could not make it. Re-scheduled for Friday afternoon. Not happy about the situation but at least I wasn't home already on Wednesday waiting.

On Friday, I'm working from home all day...had another visit in the AM. Wait around all day and get a call from the technician around 5:15 and he says that he's 20 miles away and there's a lot of traffic. Asks if he can come Saturday. At this point I'm more peeved...could have gone into the office if I knew he wasn't going to get to me until the end of the day. In addition, I had something to do on Saturday (college visit for my son) so I told him that I had no problem waiting for him to show up Friday evening.

Next call is at 7:30 from the technician...he decided to go home for the evening instead of stopping by. I told him I was not available on Saturday and he promised that he would stop by at 7AM to look at the dishwasher.

On Saturday morning, we're getting ready to leave for the college tour and 7AM comes and goes, no call from the technician. We head out as planned and I get no phone call all day. At this point I'm quite frustrated.

On Monday morning, I called up Bosch customer service right when they opened up at 8 AM (5 AM Pacific time) and told them the whole story. I made it quite clear that I didn't appreciate that the technician basically blew me off over the weekend and that I wanted someone else to come out for the service visit. They were apologetic and I was assured that the issue was going to be elevated. I waited around all day Monday for a call back from a service manager...nothing. Finally I called up again at around 5 PM and insisted on a different technician to come out ASAP. I now have an appointment with a local appliance dealer's service department on Friday morning...with everything (including labor) on Bosch's tab.

I don't mind getting the labor costs covered for my troubles, but I would have preferred not to have the hassles to begin with. I've also realized how much we depend on our dishwasher...situation's not as bad as having a clothes washer or dryer or a fridge break, but we use the dishwasher every day.

The main thing that aggravates me about this experience is that people who do service calls seem to think that everyone has the time/ability to wait around at home all day for them. I'm fortunate since in my line of work I can work from home, but there are a lot of people (my spouse included) who can not.

Google your problem. I had the same problem. It is the control board. There is a resistor that had a marginality to it. I ordered the PCB ( I am out of warranty). I popped in the new PCB in a about ten minutes and it was off and draining.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Model I bought had a recall on the heater element. Apparently caused a fire in a few homes. Customer Service was great, Maytag repairman showed up within a week of us receiving notice in the mail and fixed it free of charge.

gorgonzola

I'm doing a house for someone and the owner jsut got a huge $4,000 rebate from GE on his monogram stuff through an appliance store. in any case check out your state and power company for rebates as well - i just funded some new ski stuff with rebate gift credit cards by buying energy star appliances for a rental property..oh yea