• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

K'ton on sunday?

Bene288

I would get up super early and get there for the first chair, you may get a few hours (or a few runs) before it starts to fill in.

millerm277

I'm up and my hotel (which is usually full most of the weekends, the Best Western in Rutland), is about 50% empty it looks like at the moment. May not be a bad weekend for crowds. We'll find out tomorrow, but I'm hopeful.

steamboat1

Skied K Wed. & Thurs. Skiing was alright on some trails & not so good on others. Bitter Sweet & Upper Skyeburst were both a shh..t show. Guns were turned on on both trails from the mixing bowl at Skyeburst to the bottom so skiing was much better there. I heard they closed one of the trails for the Dew Tour starting today so only one trail will be open to the bottom of Bear. Otherwise the only other places they were blowing was on Snowshed slope & upper wildfire which wasn't opened yet. They turned the guns on on Cascade Thurs. even though it skied pretty well before. Superstar & Skylark skied pretty well off the Superstar Chair. Cruise Control skied well but getting to it you had to go through some rocks on the trail. The open trails off Snowdon & Ramshead skied well except for the middle section only of Chute which was icy (from the poma down to the fan gun). The upper & lower part were good.
edit: Rime was a shh..t show but East Fall was good off the North Ridge chair.
The only lift line was for K-1 & even that was minimal, everything else was walk on.

May I make a suggestion? I decided to go over to Pico Thurs. afternoon to check it out. They were blowing snow on the whole upper section of 49'er which was excellent. With those high tower guns visibility was not a problem at all. At 2:30 in the afternoon I was still able to break fresh tracks through the couple of inches of fresh snow they had in the old tower 10 section of the Pike, lower 49'er & lower KA. There was absolutely no one on the mountain. When I left K at a little before 1pm the K-1 base lodge was packed with the line for the cafeteria going almost to the customer service desk. Drove to Pico & got a parking spot in the 1st row. I could count the customers in the base lodge on one hand, There were more employee's than customers. I decided to go back to Pico on Fri & was glad I did. Skiing was still excellent & the slopes had a few more people but still empty. They also picked up an inch or so more of snow overnight. The base lodge was a lot more crowded because they had a race on B-slope for U. Conn but they all stayed over there & the rest of the slopes were empty. They had the guns going all day on upper KA & I heard they opened it today so there is now more than one way down from the top. If your worried about crowds & the quality of the skiing product I think Pico would be a much better choice albeit somewhat more limited than K.

Last edited:

drjeff

Don't think that it will be as crowded across ski country this weekend as many might think -the 50 miles or so South of K today at Mount Snow the crowds today (Saturday) are half, maybe 2/3rds of what I was expecting today -get out there tomorrow and enjoy it!

Geoff

Don't think that it will be as crowded across ski country this weekend as many might think -the 50 miles or so South of K today at Mount Snow the crowds today (Saturday) are half, maybe 2/3rds of what I was expecting today -get out there tomorrow and enjoy it!

The difference at Killington is all the weekender blackout season pass holders who were blacked out all of Christmas week and then are blacked out again on MLK weekend. You ski this weekend or you get no days between pre-Christmas and January 21.

It was busy today in terms of trail congestion. If you rode fixed grip lifts, the trail crowding wasn't as bad as the Superstar, Needles, and Bear areas. Basically, Killington sucks on weekends until you can escape into the trees. Hopefully, that finally happens later this month.

I think Sunday is an 8 to 9:30 morning, go out for breakfast, and then go back after noon when everybody leaves.

millerm277

Turned out to be a great day (well, compared to most days this season), pretty much no crowds and better conditions, hope you went.