• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lake Compounce 5K race 7/27/2008

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I did it!!! I finished my first ever 5K! :D

So those who have been following the journey know that I started the Couch to 5K training plan in early May. Never ran before in my life. On May 20th, to keep myself motivated, I signed up for the 5K that I ran today. I had a couple setbacks along the way... had to take a week off of training in the early days due to knee pain, and in the last couple weeks I had to take another week off due to an infected sebaceous cyst on my sternum that had to be opened up. I never managed more than 2.5 miles running in training. My goals for today were to NOT finish last, and to finish in 35 minutes (which I thought the latter was a really lofty goal, but I figured I'd set the bar high).

Results!!!!

Finished 71 out of 74. One of the 3 behind me I passed about 1.7 miles in and stayed ahead of him the rest of the race. He even stopped after he finished to tell me that I kicked his ass. :D

Total race time: 34 minutes 5 seconds :D :D :D

Pace: 10:59 mile

(I usually average 12.5-13 minute miles.)

I far exceeded my expectations for this race! Thanks for all the support on here! I thought of you guys every time I wanted to give up. I did have to slow to a quick walk a few times, but never for very long. I ran at least 2.75 miles of the whole thing, which is phenomenal for me. I can't wait for the next one!

Some photos (thanks to Brian):
Waiting to start (I have the turquoise top, navy running shorts, #609)
Pictures_064.sized.jpg

And we're off!
Pictures_065.sized.jpg

Coming around the corner heading to the finish line:
Pictures_067.sized.jpg

Almost there!!!
Pictures_068.sized.jpg

Pictures_069.sized.jpg

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

WOOO HOO Told YA SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That SMILE on your face TELLS the WHOLE story --- so VERY happy for you

Now u r a lean mean ass-kicking machine :D :D :D

Mildcat

That's great. Looks like you have your "game face" on in the first pic. Glad to see you surpassed your goals too. Are you going to do another one?

MR. evil

Way to go!

Now that you got that over with its time to give up all this running stuff and get on the Mountain Bike :-D

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thank you, all! :D I was never an "athletic" person, but I toyed with the idea of running since I was a junior in high school. Sad that it took me another 15 years to actually do it, but I'm so glad I did. What an amazing feeling!

Are you going to do another one?
I originally signed up for a 5 mile race as well that's in 2 weeks. But I'm feeling like that was a bit over-ambitious at this point. So I'm going to withdraw from that one and sign up for another 5K in September. Goals for next year include a 10K early in the year, and a half marathon (HOPEFULLY!!!!) by the end. :D

Now that you got that over with its time to give up all this running stuff and get on the Mountain Bike :-D
:lol: Well, I did make some sort of crack earlier about being able to do some jumps with you guys. :eek: I actually got out MTBing yesterday in Nass with B. I think he's going to post a TR? Went over the bars at one point and bruised up my shin nicely. :oops: But it was fun! And I WILL be doing more of that! The 10K training plan I found on Map My Run actually incorporates MTBing once a week to complement the run training.

Trekchick

Sev, I knew you could would do well! Congrats, and enjoy.

Brian, I'm with ya, on the mt bike thing........I mean, why would you run when you can ride?
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't know if this link will work, but there was a pro photographer there as well... I made it into one of the pics he posted on his site.
http://www.viewphotos.smugmug.com/gallery/5547530_cDigf#339900383_m5UjH

I really do love MTB as well. But it's not something easily done alone for me. I prefer company for that, and I don't always have the opportunity, so running is something I've taken up. I'm really enjoying it (mostly) too.

cbcbd

That's awesome, way to do it. Running is great... the only real opponent you have is yourself... and its great when I can kick my own ass.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Good job sev.... I knew you had it in you. Looks like you've been slimming down quite a bit. Keep at it, it's great for you.