• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

BackLoafRiver

Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog.

Funny, in a bizarre but creative way.

Awesome mini-series. Joss Wheadon did it when the writers were on strike a few years ago. NPH is incredible. They are making a sequel and I am super pumped for it.

I started watching Friday Night Lights last night and I am hooked, which is impressive since I am not a football fan.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Act of Valor---good movie and really makes you appreciate what the Navy Seals go through both in battle and on the home front.

I enjoyed that movie although the fps seemed too blatant like they were trying to appeal to COD fans, although I do suppose its fairly representativr

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bdfreetuna

Louie. I think it's an amazing show.

Louie is the best new show I've started watching this year. Had a couple seasons to catch up on.

On Netflix I just finished watching the series Jericho... it was only 2 seasons but an overall excellent post-nuclear drama. A cliff hanger every 5 minutes... great characters, good love stories, non-stop action and a great plot. Acting was pretty good from a lot of the actors if a little cheesy a few times. Recommended.

And re: Breaking Bad, that's probably the best series to be on television for the last 5 years.

legalskier

The Station Agent
Starring Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson, Bobby Cannavale and Michelle Williams.
A quirky understated film that really held my interest. "Peter Dinklage's performance is poetic and pure as any you will ever observe on screen or off." - S.F.Chronicle

stationagent.jpg

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Station Agent was okay. That whole quirky so called indie genre has really worn thin for me. I can't stand dumb film and don't go for the big hits and I do enjoy the pseudo-indie stuff. But I can't stand the whole "let's film a quirky indie film just because quirky and indie are cool and big budget and not quirky are not artistic" blah blah blah. Quirk is okay if it makes sense for the characters and plot. But starting from "I have a great idea for a quirky independent film..." is just old and trite.

We watched True Romance last week. A little old by now, cool flick but I always have trouble with protagonists doing things that would be considered truly villainous if the film didn't portray them as the hero of the film. Feel good endings suck. If the ending had consequences, this film would have been on another level. I know that wasn't the film's "style" or "vibe" but films don't get a free ride for style and/or vibe ruling over substance even when they are intended to be empty.

Edd

We watched True Romance last week. A little old by now, cool flick

One of my favorites. If you like that and have never seen Badlands I recommend it. Its a Terrence Malick film that's actually watchable, though not as fun as TR.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
One of my favorites. If you like that and have never seen Badlands I recommend it. Its a Terrence Malick film that's actually watchable, though not as fun as TR.
I'll add it to my queue. If it is "not as fun as TR" then I'll probably like it a little more. Well, I actually didn't mind the "fun" until the ending. TR pissed me off at the end. It could have been epic! It was just too convenient, tied up, and typical. I almost jumped up and cheered in the shoot out and then, well, *sigh* should have seen THAT coming.

EDIT: While reading up on WikiPedia, I just noticed there is an alternative Tarantino ending. Bet that one was much better. The ending didn't strike me as very Tarantino like so it surprised me a bit. Wish I had seen the alternative ending!

legalskier

Quirk is okay if it makes sense for the characters and plot.

That's where I thought Station Agent succeeded. Besides highlighting two new substantial talents (Dinklage and Cannavale), the story of the three main characters overcoming their separate isolation resonated for me, two having survived painful losses, the other having a challenging personal situation. "For 88 all-too-brief minutes, we get to hang out with very companionable people, eavesdrop on their small talk and come to know them intimately, perhaps more intimately than we can get to know our own family members." -Sacramento Bee

legalskier

Food, Inc.
Highly recommended.

The USDA and FDA are supposed to protect the public, so why is it that both government regulatory agencies have been complicit in allowing corporations to put profit ahead of consumer health, the American farmer, worker safety, and even the environment? As chicken breasts get bigger and tomatoes are genetically engineered not to go bad, 73,000 Americans fall ill from powerful new strains of E. coli every year, obesity levels are skyrocketing, and adult diabetes has reached epidemic proportions. Perhaps if the general public knew how corporations use exploited laws and subsidies to create powerful monopolies, the outrage would be enough to make us think more carefully about the food we put into our bodies. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

food-inc-1.jpeg

mlctvt

Just finished season 4 of Breaking Bad. It's got to be the best "made for television" production ever! The framing of particular shots and the film prodcution is fantastic as well as the acting by ALL of the main characters. Working on Season 5 off the DVR now.

Cable channels are kicking the old networks butts with so many excellent series. I can't think of much I watch on the old big 3 anymore.

legalskier

The Perfect Host

Strong performances by Clayne Crawford (who I never had heard of), David Hyde Pierce and Nathaniel Parker couldn't overcome a plot line that got more & more implausible.

Mpdsnowman

Two recent horror movies I watched.

DNA
Creature

Honestly they were pretty good....

I am also on season 6 of trailer park boys lol

ScottySkis

American Breakdown only watched 20 minutes of it that was all I could take. Pretty boring and artsy. I actually rented from Redbox , why can't red box have seperate spot for people returning movies?

Last edited:

legalskier

The Dictator
It doesn't expose stupidity. That's what Cohen has done absolutely wonderfully in the past with his other characters. Now he's just acting stupid, with only some funny results. -Jeff Bayer

Some funny moments, some disgustingly funny moments, but something was missing for me. Then again, I'm not 15 years old.

Geoff

For recent releases...

Hunger Games is excellent. It's a long movie that starts a little slow. It picks up 45 minutes into the movie and the footage for the actual games is really good.

Battleship was way better than I was expecting considering it was a flop in the movie theater. As implausible summer blockbuster alien movies go, the acting was considerably better than Cowboys and Aliens, the babe showed adequate cleavage, and the action-special effects were at Michael Bay level.