• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Liberty, Flume 11-11-06

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Liberty and Flume

Date Hiked: 11/11/06, 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM

Trails(s) Hiked: Flume Slide, Down Liberty Springs

Total Distance: 11-12 miles

Difficulty: Moderate (Flume slide might be classified difficult)

Conditions: Overcast much of the day, spot sunshine

Special Required Equipment: None

Having never hiked the flume slide I always assumed that it actually went up the visible slide from afar. Mentally preparing myself for this I was quite excited.

This was a re-match for us. We tried climbing the flume slide about a month ago, and eventually got turned around b/c we had a dog with us, and the slab work couldn't be done without some vibram and some opposable thumbs. This time we left nate-dog at home and put the speed on up to the slide. Got to the slide and scampered up the slabs, and eventually poped out on the ridge. To our suprise the "flume slide" mentioned in the trail name, is just a series of slabs, not the actual slide. Needless to say we were a little disappointed. I was expecting something along the lines of the Abol trail, not the Holt trail on Cardigan...

Anyways it was an awesome day up top. An inversion and exothermic snow made the ridge more interesting than normal. We had crampons but didn't use them. I have a new pair of Grivel G12's that I tried out for a bit, but more to goof around than out of nescesity.

Roundtripped it in 5hrs, which is pretty solid. Wish the snow would come back though.

Porter

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Oh god, that flume slide trail is fun isnt it?

When I hiked it it was bone dry everywhere -except- on the trail. All the rocks were really wet and slick. I love the views up there, namely the view of flume from liberty. Good thing you didn't go DOWN flume slide :p

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Oh god, that flume slide trail is fun isnt it?

When I hiked it it was bone dry everywhere -except- on the trail. All the rocks were really wet and slick. I love the views up there, namely the view of flume from liberty. Good thing you didn't go DOWN flume slide :p

It was also very wet when we climbed it. Most likely due to snow melt.

About a month ago when we got turned around b/c of our accompanyment by my dog. We had to descend about half the slide, it certainly made for an interesting afternoon.

Personally, I thought the slab work on the trail was pretty fun. We were more or less racing up it, it was a fun day!

beaker

Website
www.juliettesjourneys.com
Liberty and Flume

Date Hiked: 11/11/06, 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM

Trails(s) Hiked: Flume Slide, Down Liberty Springs

Total Distance: 11-12 miles

Difficulty: Moderate (Flume slide might be classified difficult)

Conditions: Overcast much of the day, spot sunshine

Special Required Equipment: None

Having never hiked the flume slide I always assumed that it actually went up the visible slide from afar. Mentally preparing myself for this I was quite excited.

This was a re-match for us. We tried climbing the flume slide about a month ago, and eventually got turned around b/c we had a dog with us, and the slab work couldn't be done without some vibram and some opposable thumbs. This time we left nate-dog at home and put the speed on up to the slide. Got to the slide and scampered up the slabs, and eventually poped out on the ridge. To our suprise the "flume slide" mentioned in the trail name, is just a series of slabs, not the actual slide. Needless to say we were a little disappointed. I was expecting something along the lines of the Abol trail, not the Holt trail on Cardigan...

Anyways it was an awesome day up top. An inversion and exothermic snow made the ridge more interesting than normal. We had crampons but didn't use them. I have a new pair of Grivel G12's that I tried out for a bit, but more to goof around than out of nescesity.

Roundtripped it in 5hrs, which is pretty solid. Wish the snow would come back though.

Porter
roundtripped in 5hrs. that is really fast