• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lindsey Vonn Crash, 12/28 Giant Slalom

drjeff

Heard tonight that she's thinking about racing TOMMORROW as long as the splint for her arm doesn't hinder her too much! She's one tough cookie! :flag:

Warp Daddy

Lindsey Vonn is amazing on many levels ! Looks , brains and tremendous focus and skiiing skill

You wanna talk mental toughness --- this is a woman with a steel trap for a mind , her focus is lazer like ------------------i'm a huge fanboy

jaywbigred

She did race, I believe, finished 18th the next day. Hopefully she can get it treated and since its just bruising, be ready for the Olympics no problem.

Anyone heard anything re: Bodie's ankle?

Trekchick

Rumors say that she may have a broken bone(s) and is trying to hide it. I can't imagine it, but I can believe it!

She is from a whole different caliber of woman......awesome!

Awesome:"something which inspires awe",

Rambo

Rumors say that she may have a broken bone(s) and is trying to hide it. I can't imagine it, but I can believe it!

She supposedly has extreme brusing of a bone and several small stress fractures inside of the bone. I guess not considered a "broken bone".

drjeff

I'm guessing she won't be wearing any sleeveless atire during any interviews in the near future WHEN she wins her next race :flag:

Rambo

Agreed. Lindsey really rocks. One tough, gorgeous, fast blonde. :)

Lindsey is skiing on men's skis. Other women do not have the body weight and strength to pull this off. Her mens downhill skis are longer, stiffer and rocket fast, but harder to turn. (Maria Reisch of Germany is 6ft. 1 but will not use the Head mens skis from concerns of being injured.)

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
"At first I felt OK because of the adrenalin. But afterwards the pain started to return and it was almost unbearable," she said after the slalom won by Austria's Marlies Schild.
"It was very difficult to hold the pole in spite of the splint and I was suffering on every gate."

Lindsey after yesterday's race.

She eluded to possibly missing some races in order to fully recover before Vancouver.

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/29122009/2/suffering-vonn-risks-olympics.html

Rambo

Lindsey posted this on her Twitter and Facebook page on 12/30 at 1:00 pm

"Sorry I haven't written in a while, I have been trying to take care of my arm with rehab and therapy. I was so happy that I was able to race in the slalom yesterday and even though the result wasn't great I was just happy to be out there trying. I hope that my hand feels better soon though. Thanks for all of the well wishes! Xoxo Lv"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/lindsey-vonn/89975379727?ref=nf

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Lindsey's ability to push into each turn and come out accelerating is just amazing - what strength and power. Combine that with her grace in unweight-ing for turn setup, she's got the near-perfect form.

Looked to me like she caught an edge - does anyone know for certain?

updated:, I just watched the universal sports video that she referenced and it looks like her legs separated too far, one stayed the course and the downhill leg went AWOL.

Last edited:

Highway Star

Lindsey is skiing on men's skis. Other women do not have the body weight and strength to pull this off. Her mens downhill skis are longer, stiffer and rocket fast, but harder to turn. (Maria Reisch of Germany is 6ft. 1 but will not use the Head mens skis from concerns of being injured.)

Interesting point....but....there really is no such thing as a standard man or women's skis speed event skis.

There are the basic requirements of a 68mm waist, 45m+ sidecut, and 210cm length (215cm for men). The large majority of the skis meeting this standard have been produced in the last few years since the requirement changed. Beyond that though, there are variations in construction (core type, thickness, fiberglass), #sheets of metal, metal thickness, flex pattern, sidecut shape, weight and obviously length. There is nothing saying that they must compete on the minimum length. There are softer mens skis and stiffer, longer skis, which get selected based on the course. Given the same width and sidecut parameters, there's no reason a lighter construction, softer 215cm would be any harder to ski on than a beefy 210cm ski.....though they are all quite the handful.

Clearly, Lindsey is skiing on some of Bode Miller's softer skis from prior years that have very fast bases from being skied and waxed repeatedly....

Of further impact to the 2009 World Cup overall runner-up has to be that Vonn switched to Riesch’s brand, Head, essentially demoting the German to second in command. Here’s where it gets interesting. Vonn came aboard when U.S. star Bode Miller, a Head athlete, was uncertain to return to skiing. So, Vonn acquired Miller’s serviceman Heinz Hemmerle, who is widely regarded as one of the best in the business, ever. The skis servicemen prepare belong to them as much as to their athletes. So guess what: Some of Vonn’s skis once belonged to Miller. I like the idea that Vonn is chasing Miller’s American record 31 victories on his skis. If in fact, that’s what she’s racing on. When I asked Thomas this very question he said only this: “You can apply common sense to that one.”

Last edited: