• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Mountain

• Thread starter LiveFreeorDie NH
  • Start date
L

LiveFreeorDie NH

I was at Loon today and was surprised how much terrain they had open!! Can't wait for Triple Trouble to open. Hopefully some of the snow we are expecting this evening will make it up to Lincoln :D

L

LiveFreeorDie NH

Another Sunday at Loon on the Threedom Pass. Started snowing early this morning, I.E. cars stuck in the snow banks on I-93. Skiing was good while it was a heavy wet snow all day. Plenty of terrain and Triple Trouble was open !! Think Snow

A

Anonymous

I will be there tomorrow 1-26, hope there is more snow then there is here!!!!!! WE NEED SNOW!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Me and the Kidd thrashed each other at Loon today. Sunny skies, warm temps, decent snow. Pulled our first daffys of the season. Mint! :beer:

gmcunni

Thinking about hitting Loon this winter, never been, have hard decent things about it.

looking at the map there is an area marked "out of bounds" between LOON and SOUTH peak, with good snow is that area skiable?

skiNEwhere

You must have done a lot of searching! 10.8 year bump!

I hate Loon with a passion. To the point of where if it was the only ski resort left on earth, I would still have to be convinced to ski there. Part of the reason is that my parents took me there so much as a kid. It's way too overcrowded and the terrain really isn't that challenging. Have you been to wildcat? I'd recommend them if you haven't been there either, they aren't too far from Loon and are in NH

Smellytele

You must have done a lot of searching! 10.8 year bump!

I hate Loon with a passion. To the point of where if it was the only ski resort left on earth, I would still have to be convinced to ski there. Part of the reason is that my parents took me there so much as a kid. It's way too overcrowded and the terrain really isn't that challenging. Have you been to wildcat? I'd recommend them if you haven't been there either, they aren't too far from Loon and are in NH

Loon and wildcat are about an 1 1/2 hour apart

gregnye

WILDCAT: I agree! My favorite--low key, great lifts, great location! (wind problem though--if its windy go to Attitash--but I honestly wouldn't go to Attitash if I drove all the way there (from boston). Try the Red Fox Grill in Jackson New Hampshire by Wildcat--The best place ever!!!!

-The Kancamangus quad during "rush hours" 10:00-1:00.
-The gondola from 9:00-3:30
-Use 7 bros if you need to return to your car--but NEVER go back to the base--you will regret it!

Other info
-Go to south peak when other stuff is crowded (not going to give exact times though--that lift "eats up" alot more people than all the other chairs because it is so long)
-Go to north peak in the morning.
-Go to east basin in the afternoon.
-NEVER GO TO KANC. QUAD!! until the 30 minutes at the end of the day that it is the only lift open (don't go to gondola base after 3:30--the gondola and 7 bros close and the only lift open is Kanc so you miss 30 minutes of skiing--kanc quad closes at 4:00).

The cool thing about loon is you can follow the sun throughout the entire day! Start at north and go to south.

Okay thats all the "secrets" i'm going to give--as for when to eat and where, I am not going to tell you that--the lodges are already too crowded as it is--but I know where to go :lol:

bobbutts

It's pretty bad on a peak weekend, but if you can make it on a weekday or late season it can be decent. The walk up day ticket prices are not a good deal. There is another AZ beloved mountain not Wildcat within a 20 minute drive too.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I hadn't skied Loon in 25 years until I went on Monday. Have to say, I enjoyed myself. I thought Flying Fox and Upper Picked Rock were pretty good cruising trails. I'd like to get back there midweek sometime when they're fully open.

I can't begin to imagine how bad the lines must get on the Gondola on weekends. I would think converting the Seven Brothers chair to HSQ would help ease congestion at that base area.

Is South Peak fully built out according to their plans? It appears they have a ton of room over there to cut some more trails within its boundaries.

gregnye

I hadn't skied Loon in 25 years until I went on Monday. Have to say, I enjoyed myself. I thought Flying Fox and Upper Picked Rock were pretty good cruising trails. I'd like to get back there midweek sometime when they're fully open.

I can't begin to imagine how bad the lines must get on the Gondola on weekends. I would think converting the Seven Brothers chair to HSQ would help ease congestion at that base area.

Is South Peak fully built out according to their plans? It appears they have a ton of room over there to cut some more trails within its boundaries.

The south peak is mostly considered "built out". I like it that way too! It is completely different from the rest of the mountain (flume area has really large straight trails---Kanc. area has way too many trails that ski all the same!) The gondola area has too many intersecting trails!

The south peak is a "breath of fresh air" for loon. It skies completely different then the jumbled-mess of interconnecting trails on the main mountain. A consistant non-stop ride down--like it should be!

There are plans for a learning double chair on the south peak in 2013. (very bottom of this page you can find some info http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/skiareaexpansions/NewHampshire/loon.php

But that is all---for now--it has reached its build potential

Telemechanic

The trail pod surrounding the Lincoln Express Quad is finished, there are no permits or plans to build more trails. The next permit will be for the beginner area "deadhead" mentioned. Find "Escape Route" on a Loon map and that is the general area, about 25 acres with a fixed grip (probably not a double but it hasn't been decided). There are ideas for another South Mountain trail pod with more lifts in the future but no plans have been submitted to the USFS for permits. Any trails west of Cruiser and Escape Route requires expansion of Loon's current permitted area on USFS lands.

cannonist

This early in the season Loon is the best place in NH to be! Loon doesn't get bad until January when I ski Cannon.

So yeah give the place a try.

xwhaler

any deals at Loon this season that anyone knows of? I seem to remember them offering a NH resident discount last year...maybe for Sunday afternoons?
not seeing any type of special deal days on their website yet

WakeboardMom

any deals at Loon this season that anyone knows of? I seem to remember them offering a NH resident discount last year...maybe for Sunday afternoons?
not seeing any type of special deal days on their website yet

I bought a couple of passes through SkiNH over the weekend.

Is the resident deal similar to the one at BW?

xwhaler

Not sure....I just seem to recall LOON offering some discount days or ways to save other than their e-tickets.
I think I remember a $25 Sunday afternoon special for NH residents but can;t be sure.

I have a cou-lpe buddies who have Boyne passes this yr and I;d like to get to Loon to make some turns with them but deals at Loon are hard to come by. No liftopia, nothing on their web site, seems no affiliation with discount cards. The 'best' thing going I can find is the 4 packs through Ski NH for $68 per. But I don't really consider that a good value.

WakeboardMom

Yup, that's what I bought. Two at Loon and two at Gunstock. Not a great deal, but better than paying full price.

We've had Loon/Boyne passes for years. Didn't break even last year, so we thought we'd try something different.

We ski BW for $15 on a Sunday afternoon. Would love a similar deal at Loon.