• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon South Peak Expansion

machski

Does anyone know how by when the South Peak parking lot next to the Lincoln Express lift typically fills up in the morning on weekdays?

I'm not exactly an early morning person and Boston area traffic going north in the morning (I'm south of the city) can be a real PITA, so it's an accomplishment for me to arrive at Loon by 10:15 - 10:30am.

I like parking in that small lot but it's a crap-shoot getting a space and when full, it actually delays me with getting on the lift, since the backtracking to the main road and drive to the main entrance takes time.
That is where I usually park and normally weekdays it doesn't fill up completely.

Newpylong

I've actually not been to Loon since South Peak was put in. What are there for services at the base, toilets and tickets? Nothing at Timber town yet?

bigbob

I've actually not been to Loon since South Peak was put in. What are there for services at the base, toilets and tickets? Nothing at Timber town yet?
There is a tent for the lodge at the base of the Lincon Express detachable quad with a Cisco Bar in it with food and bathrooms. Not a very large building, but has everything you need. Parking is in a small lot, so get there early and cubbys are limited for bag storage You can get tickets there I think, There is a machine on the deck to get prepaid RFID cards. No buildings at the base of the timber Town Quad currently. I am not sure if you can purchase a ticket there, but I have seen people at a window, so maybe you can. I will be there in the morning tomorrow.

machski

Nothing really at Timbertown. So much so, it is a Fri-Sun/Holiday lift and trail pod only. Although they are leaving one run open through it to allow returns to that parking lot. But no reason to park there Mon-Thur, have never seen the Basecamp lot full then.

thebigo

Apparent they view timbertown as a segmented launch. Currently it is overflow parking access for weekends and holidays. Presumably timbertown will eventually house beginner services but need facilities first. South peak is basically a bar with limited base area facilities: functional bathrooms, limited cubies and ticket kiosk.

Would make sense to build out timbertown first, move beginner services and access over to timbertown before the governors rebuild but getting the impression governors will be first.

LuckyStrike

1.I was at Loon yesterday and all of the lots were filled by 10:45.
2.I don't think that the Kanc8 lift had it's heaters working.
3. Staying away from the middle of that mountain is key.

bigbob

I was at Loon today, parked at South Peak and booted up at the South Peak senior center lodge, I think the average age was around 70. The large lot by the Timbertown lift had a closed sign at the entrance. One trail below the new quad was open to access the parking lot with a sign stateing no lift service. It looks like they made alot of snow on some trails and they were still blowing on Ripsaw. Huge whales where the guns were off and trails were open. It was icy in spots, way better conditions on Friday! No lines on North Peak, Kanc, or South Peak quad, never went down to the gondola or Seven Brothers lift today.

thebigo

Great loon day today with the girls. Lapped walking boss woods a bunch plus south cruisers.

Attachments

• 20240123_134125.jpg
    20240123_134125.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17

ColdRain&Snow

We’re doing a Loon/Sunday River x2/Loon sandwich Super Bowl weekend, added their apps to check out the conditions/trails/etc, … surprised to see Loon requires reservations.

Looks like SR doesn’t. Didn’t think that was still a thing, Sugarbush/Stratton/Killington don’t, but haven’t really paid attention to the other places.

KustyTheKlown

loon requiring reservations is great. every time i have been there the past few seasons the crowds are totally manageable, on the weekends, at a place known for being unmanageable.

JDMRoma

loon requiring reservations is great. every time i have been there the past few seasons the crowds are totally manageable, on the weekends, at a place known for being unmanageable.
Yeah loons been decent on Saturdays till about noon ! lifites are doing a great job filling the chairs, at least on Northpeak and Southpeak. no idea how the Kanc or Gondi tho just basically avoid them at all cost

KustyTheKlown

Yeah loons been decent on Saturdays till about noon ! lifites are doing a great job filling the chairs, at least on Northpeak and Southpeak. no idea how the Kanc or Gondi tho just basically avoid them at all cost

only been to loon once this season - MLK monday - and the kanc was my only chair with a line but that line was no longer than 3-5 minutes and was entirely contained in the barn structure. gondola is an avoid at all costs always. good thing its completely redundant. the north quad gets you to almost everything the gondola serves, and the north double gets you to everything. even the south peak connector gets you to almost everything the gondola accesses.

bigbob

Gondola was pretty much walk on for the 2 trips we did on it along with the rest of the lifts running today.. Light freezing mist required goggle scraping. Snow wasn't bad, steeps got slick, but hey, it's Loon. Drive up was also pretty icy with cars and trucks in the ditches and a Jordon Furniture semi taking a nap on it;s side just above the Merideth exit.glad i bought 4 peak snow tires on all 4 corners!

machski

We’re doing a Loon/Sunday River x2/Loon sandwich Super Bowl weekend, added their apps to check out the conditions/trails/etc, … surprised to see Loon requires reservations.

Looks like SR doesn’t. Didn’t think that was still a thing, Sugarbush/Stratton/Killington don’t, but haven’t really paid attention to the other places.
Not a huge thing out east on the IKON, Loon is one due to its popularity and realtive smaller size. I think maybe Windham also requires IKON reservations. Much more the norm out west now, Aspen, JHMR, Big Sky, Deer Valley to name a few.

Smellytele

Gondola was pretty much walk on for the 2 trips we did on it along with the rest of the lifts running today.. Light freezing mist required goggle scraping. Snow wasn't bad, steeps got slick, but hey, it's Loon. Drive up was also pretty icy with cars and trucks in the ditches and a Jordon Furniture semi taking a nap on it;s side just above the Merideth exit.glad i bought 4 peak snow tires on all 4 corners!
I drove passed that Jordan's truck as well plus the 5 or 6 other vehicles off the road in that area. After that there was a line of tractor trailers lined up in the break down lane for about a mile and 1/2. I have all wheel but not snows (on my company Pacifica mini van) and had no issue. The section was just above tilton and below Merideth. Between tilton and Plymouth the roads is always the worst.

machski

Loon back at it, burying Timbertown while Lower Speak, Big Dipper, Angel Street, Bear Pause, Rolling Bear all sit unmade. They do have guns finally pulled and set on the aforementioned trails, but did Timbertown really need to be reburied?

bigbob

Loon back at it, burying Timbertown while Lower Speak, Big Dipper, Angel Street, Bear Pause, Rolling Bear all sit unmade. They do have guns finally pulled and set on the aforementioned trails, but did Timbertown really need to be reburied?
No! And Angle Street and East Basin trails have not seen much if any snowmaking love. That trail pod was closed yesterday.And Mach, Loon did blow and cut the half pipe. It is in the middle of the park trail, not the one at the bottom just above the gondola building. I don't think it was open yesterday, there was a rope across the park trail at the crossover yesterday.