• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon/Waterville

Darwin

They have both changed there opening dates. Waterville is 12/2 and loon is 12/1 for anyone who wants to know. I am a little disapointed but what can you do.

Last edited:

Bkroon9175

WV gets a lot of "long Weekend" visitors this weekend. Skiing there over Turkey Day weekend is often marginal. I wonder how this will effect early season bookings in Waterville.

Charlie Schuessler

I was at WVV on Monday and they were making snow in the AM, hoping that they and Loon would be open Friday. Just have to go to VT to ski this weekend.

AMAC2233

There goes loon's thanksjibbin event. Or are they going to make a setup?

They went through with the Thanksjibbing thing....its going on right now. They were blowing snow for days, according to the website. Here is one of the pics of the preperation:
thxjibbing1.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
I hope that they get some cold weather this week....not looking too good. :roll:

But then again....last week was COLDER than forecast. :beer: Anything can happen.

stomachdoc

I was up in WV for the weekend; they were not even blowing snow at night which seems a bit of an ominous sign to me...... However, lots of activity; the BBTS program was doing "dry land" training and the ski instructors were engaged in some sort of training. Apparently they spent about $50K in snowmaking thus far with just some coverage on "High Country" to show for it....... Hopefully we'll get some cold temps and a couple of dumps and be in business.....

Vortex

I would think this will be another weekend without WV or Loon open. Cold does not come in until the weekend. My buddy told me 3 weeks ago Dec 11th would be the 1st weekend day.

snowconehead

Good Luck.

From what I see, you shouldn't hold your breath waiting to ski N.H. right now. You'ld be better off taking advantage of the mild temps to go down to the coast and enjoy the beach.

thetrailboss

Staff member
FWIW Waterville says on SnoCountry that it will open Dec. 2nd. Loon is still saying the 1st at last check.....and it has a rail jam scheduled for Sunday.

Vortex

There is enough snow at the base of the Gondola I think to hold an event. Can't remember where I read it, but they did do some rail event last weekend there. I would be surpised if either made it for Sat. I don't think it would take alot to finish off high countty at Waterville.
Really doubtful on skiing at either place this weekend. I would if either opened.

edit this says is all. www.loonmtn.com/winter/index.asp

Dec 8th know for Loon.

Last edited:

Vortex

My buddy up there told you and I a few weeks ago TB, 2nd weekend in Dec. I thought he was nuts. Guess I need to face reality. Just glad I have other options.Waiting to see what Waterville has to say.

thetrailboss

Staff member
My buddy up there told you and I a few weeks ago TB, 2nd weekend in Dec. I thought he was nuts. Guess I need to face reality. Just glad I have other options.Waiting to see what Waterville has to say.

He was right. Big pattern shift coming I hear.....cold and could be several inches of snow by this time next week. Let's hope so.