• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Maggie Goes on a Diet

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Anyone seen this? Causing quite the controversy out there.

Basically a children's book about a 14 year old girl who is, uh, "stout" and decides to go on a diet, and ends up becoming popular etc.

Here's a blog post on it:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ls-be-dieting/2011/08/28/gIQAb6mlnJ_blog.html

I've got some mixed opinions on the outrage around this. Bsaically I don't really think the book is a big deal and the word "diet" has taken on a negative connotation, when all "diet" means is what you eat. Diets can serve a number of purposes - losing weight, gaining weight, gaining muscle, etc.

The general message of physical fitness, promoting healthy eating choices, etc. I think is a very good one. The problem is when it becomes compulsive. I wish I didn't have to think about it, I just made healthy decisions all the time, but I know for me it's always a struggle to try and lead a healthier lifestyle.