• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain, VT: 01/18/2010

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Red line was really, really chopped up by day's end. I mean, not just grass, but dirt was being kicked out in many places. River hit it at just the right time; he wouldn't have recognized it later.

rocojerry

Red line was really, really chopped up by day's end. I mean, not just grass, but dirt was being kicked out in many places. River hit it at just the right time; he wouldn't have recognized it later.

I hit redline as my second to last run around 1pm, looked a lot better from the trail than it did from the chair :)

bvibert

Staff member

I hit redline as my second to last run around 1pm, looked a lot better from the trail than it did from the chair :)

Dirt and grass are often surprisingly edge-able...:spin:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yea, that is why I hit it when I did... I saw the deterioration and I didn't want to miss it as it is a great trail. Love the audience factor. Deterioration was from all the damned bump skiers that kept skiing the troughs instead of topping the bumps when conditions got bad. Grass in the troughs means ski the tops!!!

:smash:

:lol: ;-) :spin:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yea, that is why I hit it when I did... I saw the deterioration and I didn't want to miss it as it is a great trail. Love the audience factor. Deterioration was from all the damned bump skiers that kept skiing the troughs instead of topping the bumps when conditions got bad. Grass in the troughs means ski the tops!!!

:smash:

:lol: ;-) :spin:

You probably didn't realize it but I was hooting as you made your way down! Looked like you were carving butter. St. Bear said, "Ahh, he'll never hear you, he's in the zone!" :daffy:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You probably didn't realize it but I was hooting as you made your way down! Looked like you were carving butter. St. Bear said, "Ahh, he'll never hear you, he's in the zone!" :daffy:
You notice interesting things when you are in the zone.... I saw you guys on the lift long before you started yelling. ;)

rocojerry

First chair :) before the groomer that I mentioned above came down the hill....
4291664020_6f77e3ab45_b.jpg

Getting some air on Black Line!
4292458505_d6acfd4d5d_o.jpg

jrmagic

That was an awesome day:daffy:

As for the lift question... Since most of the work has already been done it is on the list of capital improvements to complete once enough shares have been sold to use the capital.

Newpylong

That was an awesome day:daffy:

As for the lift question... Since most of the work has already been done it is on the list of capital improvements to complete once enough shares have been sold to use the capital.

YES and the stoke!

thanks guys,

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Bump for a quick question. What's the story on the Phoenix / Green line chair?

I've never quite understood that lift.

It follows almost the indentical line as the Poma triple which was removed and installed at Berkshire East.

They started installation of the old Borvig double at a time in which they were struggling to get their summit lifts going.

I believe there have been two or three separate attempts at getting the lift finished over the past 7 or so years. From what I see and have heard, it will take some work to finish it, as it wasn't well done. As an example, at least one of the towers is crooked.

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
That is correct. Previous management tried to get the lift in on a few occasions when the focus should have been on the summit chairs.

As mentioned above, plans for the Green lift have been put on hold. Current management has completely overhauled the Red chair and is about to make necessary repairs on the Black.

Once the partnership kicks in it will be voted upon to see what happens with this lift.

1) Finished for intermediate and Race trail access
2) Scrapped and parted out for $
3) Shift focus to instal a beginner lift to the right of the black chair.

Cusrious to hear everyone's opinion regarding the above.

RustyGroomer

Bump for a quick question. What's the story on the Phoenix / Green line chair?

Bump for an answer. The Phoenix should never be completed. Sorry to say it was yet another mistake by previous management. It sucks to have the lift partially installed but quite frankly it should be sold as scrap & any cash should be directed toward a beginner area.

Take a look @ this pic. Taken in Magic's busiest years during a professional snowboard halfpipe event. In other words probably one of the busiest days ever @ Magic. The triple @ the time was brand new. Busy day? Empty chairs? Nobody rode that lift.

halfpipe2.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Once the partnership kicks in it will be voted upon to see what happens with this lift.

1) Finished for intermediate and Race trail access
2) Scrapped and parted out for $
3) Shift focus to instal a beginner lift to the right of the black chair.

Cusrious to hear everyone's opinion regarding the above.

IMHO they need a beginners lift and trail pod before they should worry about the green line lift. I don't think the lift is a bad idea to have as an intermediate/advanced beginners lift, but I question if it's really needed given the amount of traffic that Magic generally sees and the fact that all the terrain that could be accessed from the lift can pretty easily be reached via green trails off of the red chair.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I think if they can focus on the snowmaking and grooming and banish the reputation of "variable conditions" it will entice the less-skillful to the mountain. I don't know much about ski schools, but I'll guess getting green & blue skiers on the mountain is more important than having a strong ski school.

orangegondola

Website
www.chairlift.org
I think if they can focus on the snowmaking and grooming and banish the reputation of "variable conditions" it will entice the less-skillful to the mountain. I don't know much about ski schools, but I'll guess getting green & blue skiers on the mountain is more important than having a strong ski school.

Bill,

I agree, the mountian needs more blue and green skiers looking to avoid the McMountain feel. Hopefully this summer's snowmaking and grooming improvements will begin to help in that arena.

I must say, the ski school stepped it up big time this season. Check it out here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=155360&id=29515067037
I think we need to get them a lift.

-OG