• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT Flooding

Zand

The worst drivers (at least in the east) are far and away Maryland drivers.

I've driven the Beltway 3 times and I've seen more crashes in the 1.5 total hours I've spent driving there than in the 16 years I've been driving in MA. Even on a relatively quiet Sunday, there were EIGHT fender benders between the two I-95 segments. It's like what...20 miles?

CT is bad too since mixing aggressive CT, MA, NY, and NJ drivers on the same roads pretty much turns it into Talladega. But it's nothing compared to Maryland. I'm floored by what I see when I drive through there.

cdskier

I've driven the Beltway 3 times and I've seen more crashes in the 1.5 total hours I've spent driving there than in the 16 years I've been driving in MA. Even on a relatively quiet Sunday, there were EIGHT fender benders between the two I-95 segments. It's like what...20 miles?

CT is bad too since mixing aggressive CT, MA, NY, and NJ drivers on the same roads pretty much turns it into Talladega. But it's nothing compared to Maryland. I'm floored by what I see when I drive through there.

Meanwhile I've been to MD quite a bit (my sister lives there) and never noticed any notable issues that made me think MD drivers are any worse than NJ/NY/PA/CT/MA drivers... Actually I'd personally probably put NY and PA drivers as the worst from what I see on the roads in NJ. Both love to sit in the left lane of NJ highways driving below the speed limit and refusing to move...

JimG.

Staff member

And MD wins the prize for panic and devastation if it snows 4". Worst municipal snow removal ever.

BodeMiller1

And MD wins the prize for panic and devastation if it snows 4". Worst municipal snow removal ever.
I miss Baltimore and the city knows me by name. It's fun to watch a car sweep all four lanes coming up to the Beltway. True, Baltimore takes the cake for devastation.

The nice things:

1) Ford Excort GT parades and the mules and carts.
2) Nice to smoke up at the fort were star spangled banner was written.
3) Crabs (both kinds)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Meanwhile I've been to MD quite a bit (my sister lives there) and never noticed any notable issues that made me think MD drivers are any worse than NJ/NY/PA/CT/MA drivers... Actually I'd personally probably put NY and PA drivers as the worst from what I see on the roads in NJ. Both love to sit in the left lane of NJ highways driving below the speed limit and refusing to move...

I blame the engineers in CT over the actual drivers. Those morons put in an almost equal amount of left lane exits as right lane exits. So, what does that do? It effectively means there are no passing lanes on the highways in that state. The left and the right lanes both become slow travel lanes. So, everyone is pissed off and driving aggressively because of being constantly stuck behind slow pokes.

Edd

As a lover of all seafood, I was psyched when I sat down at a Delaware restaurant 10 years ago for a crab feast. They gave us the wooden hammers and I dug in. I realized, compared to New England lobster, it was too much effort for the payoff. Lobster is way more satisfying to me.

jimmywilson69

yeah picking crabs is a sure fire way to spend 3 hours eating and still be hungry!

Back sort of on topic, Phish is playing a 2 night Vermont Flood benefit concert at SPAC August 25-26. Nice to see them continue to help!

deadheadskier

Staff member
yeah picking crabs is a sure fire way to spend 3 hours eating and still be hungry!

Back sort of on topic, Phish is playing a 2 night Vermont Flood benefit concert at SPAC August 25-26. Nice to see them continue to help!

Wish they had picked somewhere other than SPAC. Bethel would have been much better. I can't stand SPAC as a venue. I enjoy Saratoga itself, but SPAC is absolutely the worst shed type venue in the Northeast.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wish they had picked somewhere other than SPAC. Bethel would have been much better. I can't stand SPAC as a venue. I enjoy Saratoga itself, but SPAC is absolutely the worst shed type venue in the Northeast.
Completely agree. We went to Dead and Co. in June. My wife was excited that we got tickets at all. But when we saw that the "lawn seats" pretty much meant that we were outside the enclosed venue watching the concert on a screen, we were pretty disappointed. LiveNation also sucks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you are inside the PAV it's fine other than having to still deal with gestapo like security in the parking lots.

But the lawn is a total waste of time. Better to stay home and watch on TV. The sound sucks and maybe 30% of the lawn area has views of the stage and that area still sucks because it's really steep to stand and dance on.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you are inside the PAV it's fine other than having to still deal with gestapo like security in the parking lots.

But the lawn is a total waste of time. Better to stay home and watch on TV. The sound sucks and maybe 30% of the lawn area has views of the stage and that area still sucks because it's really steep to stand and dance on.
Exactly. It was my birthday, and I got to go to the last tour for Dead and Co. So I was happy.

drjeff

Getting off the hijack of this thread ;)

Just read that tommorrow, Okemo is scheduled to resume the majority of it's planned Summer operations after recovering enough from the flood damage of a few weeks ago! About 20 minutes before I read that, the weather app that I have on my phone, and have the my condo location in Southern VT entered in as one of my following locations, notified me that the National Weather Service issued an Areal Fllod Watch with the potential for flash flooing in Southern VT, including the Okemo and Magic areas, for when the likely line of strong thunderstorms passes through during the day tomorrow.. :rolleyes:o_O

thetrailboss

Staff member
Getting off the hijack of this thread ;)

Just read that tommorrow, Okemo is scheduled to resume the majority of it's planned Summer operations after recovering enough from the flood damage of a few weeks ago! About 20 minutes before I read that, the weather app that I have on my phone, and have the my condo location in Southern VT entered in as one of my following locations, notified me that the National Weather Service issued an Areal Fllod Watch with the potential for flash flooing in Southern VT, including the Okemo and Magic areas, for when the likely line of strong thunderstorms passes through during the day tomorrow.. :rolleyes:o_O
Yep. Talked to my parents. More rain. Too bad it wasn’t snow!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Is Utah pretty much out of drought status now?

Depends on the indicator. Reservoirs are above average, Salt Lake and Lake Powell still very low but not at critical levels, soil moisture levels were good but drying out again. We had a wet June but all of July has been bone dry with a late start to the monsoon season. For the calendar year SLC is below average on precip now.