• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Major tumble at Breck

MadMadWorld

Based on the video I would consider him my equal on that particular section. I might take a couple more turns and go over the rocks though.

Not saying he is an awful skier but if you are going to critique someone skiing the Lake Chutes your shit better be on point.

MadMadWorld

Believe it or not, I do like to get everyone's opinions, including yours even though you are an arrogant a$$hole in the manner you present it without being there and having any facts.

How was I supposed to roll up to this? Just drop in the 10 foot cornice to the left on a line I stated that I've never skied before?

At the beginning of the video, you can hear a howling noise. That's wind. I crossed my ski's when I rolled up to the cornice because I didn't want to get pushed in unexpectedly by another 30mph gust.

Backseat turns? I've seen pro-skiers use POV go-pro's on off-piste terrain and it looks like they are in the backseat when they are not in fact, which is evident when they switch to another non POV camera. Even with that said, I don't know how you can say my one turn looks like it was from the backseat. Maybe you're basing this on earlier video's which I do review and make adjustments. I know in my copper video I was in the backseat and I did adjust, although I do approach ripping through powder much different that handling extremely steep terrain.

Have you been on this kind of terrain? You can talk all you want about technique, but when are on really tough terrain like that, that what separate's an expert skier from the rest, maintaining that technique through the whole trail. I know that I didn't have a good pole plant there, I'll admit that, but that didn't have anything to do with my ski popping off. I have go-pro footage of skiing terrain that is similar to this, but I don't put the majority of it on you tube, so what are you comparing?

As far as the cliff tumble at A-Basin, I don't ski on that type of terrain in visibility as low as that anymore. I didn't even see that dip right before the cliff

I'm not skiing powder. I'd say the last big storm we had got before that day was a good 10-12 days earlier. The surface was actually relatively hard if you were actually looking.

You should have dropped in like this....

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
First off, I'm glad you are OK and avoided that rock field to the right. Ignore the negative posters here, i'm glad you shared this.

My view, if you aren't falling you aren't trying hard enough. I don't think the terrain was beyond you, you clearly had a crappy release, and even skiers who are 100% confident on terrain fall occasionally.

A couple thoughts:

-I had crappy bindings on older skis for a while. you can't underestimate their importance as you found out the hard way. Cranking DIN is a bad way to compensate for bindings that don't predictably release. There is a video here somewhere of the AZ Summit 3.0 a few years ago that shows my ski popping off just while sliding sideways on a blue. I lost my ski probably 10x that weekend. Clearly a sign the binding is ready to go.

- totally agree with the comments about confidence smashing. I remember riding my bike when I was about 12 years old and the front tire blew on me and i lost it as I was traveling very quickly Ever since then, when I'm riding fast, I always feel nervous about the front wheel exploding on me, and that was like 20 years ago.

skiNEwhere

You should have dropped in like this....

LOL! No thanks! I really want to go on corbets one day. I've seen video's where it's a 20 ft drop on ice in a bad snow year, and videos where its a 10 foot OPTIONAL drop (you can side slip it) into soft powder. Even if it were the latter, that rock that you have to turn to avoid immediately is pretty intimidating. I'd imagine it's pretty nerve racking when you're standing there with your tips hanging over the edge.

Seriously.....? There's more gnar than that at Killington on any mid season day.

I actually took some of what you said seriously until that comment came out. Unless you consider skiing DF when it is obviously closed as gnar

skiNEwhere

First off, I'm glad you are OK and avoided that rock field to the right. Ignore the negative posters here, i'm glad you shared this.

My view, if you aren't falling you aren't trying hard enough. I don't think the terrain was beyond you, you clearly had a crappy release, and even skiers who are 100% confident on terrain fall occasionally.

A couple thoughts:

-I had crappy bindings on older skis for a while. you can't underestimate their importance as you found out the hard way. Cranking DIN is a bad way to compensate for bindings that don't predictably release. There is a video here somewhere of the AZ Summit 3.0 a few years ago that shows my ski popping off just while sliding sideways on a blue. I lost my ski probably 10x that weekend. Clearly a sign the binding is ready to go.

- totally agree with the comments about confidence smashing. I remember riding my bike when I was about 12 years old and the front tire blew on me and i lost it as I was traveling very quickly Ever since then, when I'm riding fast, I always feel nervous about the front wheel exploding on me, and that was like 20 years ago.

Thank you for your comments! I appreciate it. Those ski's might need to be sacrificed to Ullr at the end of the season. Just sucks though because I only have 2 sets of alpine ski's (my other set is tele) and I used those for pretty much every snow condition, because my K2 pontoon's are cumbersome in anything but 1+ feet of powder.

jack97

...Those ski's might need to be sacrificed to Ullr at the end of the season.

Marker Jesters maxed out at 10? I thought they maxed out at 16, must be a lite version. If it was me and I was skiing sh!t like you showed, I would get beefier bindings that has been time tested. Look/Rossi pivots/FKS or PX series.

Tin

Glad youre ok. Got worried when I saw the rocks. Spills like that make me wonder why I ski. Dangerous stuff.

jack97

"everything that kills me makes me feel alive"..... One Republic, Counting Stars. Was listening to it like musac and then the words hit me.

skiNEwhere

Marker Jesters maxed out at 10? I thought they maxed out at 16, must be a lite version. If it was me and I was skiing sh!t like you showed, I would get beefier bindings that has been time tested. Look/Rossi pivots/FKS or PX series.

I have jesters on my k2 pontoons, not those skis. The bindings on those are made by salomon, i forget the exact type.

I'd say those have been time tested, maybe to a degree they are too worn now. You're right though, I def need a beefier binding, thankfully I didn't have to pay too harsh a price to learn that.