• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Man lost in crevasse at Tuckermans

mfi

While at Tux with Andy Z I climbed up to a rock where some guys where sitting, figured it would be a good place to put the skis on..then the snow gave out from under me but not enough for me to fall into..only one leg went in..I looked down at least 20 feet into a hole with running water..scared the hell out of me..I didn't think about it until much later...scary place...

fbrissette

While at Tux with Andy Z I climbed up to a rock where some guys where sitting, figured it would be a good place to put the skis on..then the snow gave out from under me but not enough for me to fall into..only one leg went in..I looked down at least 20 feet into a hole with running water..scared the hell out of me..I didn't think about it until much later...scary place...

A similar thing happened to me in the Lower snowfields. Have no idea how deep it was. I could hear running water below and got the hell out of there. From then on, I always tried to ski the ravine early in the season, or stick to safer lines when the snow got undermined.

Francois

Cornhead

Makes me rethink the wisdom of getting anywhere near the edge of the snow pack, like I did, last Memorial Day Weekend.

Mt.%2520078.jpg

There was quite a gap between the cliff face and the snow, it wouldn't have been good if I manged to fall in between, or if it collapsed.

Mt.%2520082.jpg

I did traverse across Sluice below this small crevasse, I clicked in above and to the left. I side slipped until I got below this point to ensure no chance of falling and sliding into it. Should have been nowhere near this either. I should have stayed below this point, lucky.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
A similar thing happened to me in the Lower snowfields. Have no idea how deep it was. I could hear running water below and got the hell out of there. From then on, I always tried to ski the ravine early in the season, or stick to safer lines when the snow got undermined.

Francois

I always kind of assumed it was more dangerous in the mid winter from avalanches. But it seems the risks are spread out equally throughout the season; just different kinds of risks.

snowmonster

In midwinter, you have to look out for avalanches, high winds, freezing cold, hardpacked snow and low visibility. But, you can probably ski back to your car. In the spring, you have to look out for icefalls, crevasses, undermined snow, hardpacked snow and low visibility. You also have to watch out for slippery ice covered rocks on the TRT especially between the Bowl and HoJo's and hikers slipping of the bootpack and crashing into you. Really late in the spring and into the summer, you have to watch out for man-eating blackflies that find every crevice in your body including your ears and nostrils. Not to mention that every hiker up there will question your sanity when they see your skis.

Hiker: Is there snow up there?
Skier: No. We just like walking around with skis.

Other than that, it's a walk in the park!;)

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Really late in the spring and into the summer, you have to watch out for man-eating blackflies that find every crevice in your body including your ears and nostrils. Not to mention that every hiker up there will question your sanity when they see your skis.

I still itch from the bug bites...:beer:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
In midwinter, you have to look out for avalanches, high winds, freezing cold, hardpacked snow and low visibility. But, you can probably ski back to your car. In the spring, you have to look out for icefalls, crevasses, undermined snow, hardpacked snow and low visibility. You also have to watch out for slippery ice covered rocks on the TRT especially between the Bowl and HoJo's and hikers slipping of the bootpack and crashing into you. Really late in the spring and into the summer, you have to watch out for man-eating blackflies that find every crevice in your body including your ears and nostrils. Not to mention that every hiker up there will question your sanity when they see your skis.

The falling ice is bad, witnessed it one year. Ice chunks the size of footballs came flying down on Lunch Rocks at a high rate of speed. Quick estimate about maybe 30-50.

Tooth

Go with someone who knows WTF they are doing. Repeat this for many seasons. Its no joke there and I am very surprised this horrible sad event does not happen more often.

Cornhead

The falling ice is bad, witnessed it one year. Ice chunks the size of footballs came flying down on Lunch Rocks at a high rate of speed. Quick estimate about maybe 30-50.

While booting up at Lunch Rocks, a slab weighing several hundred pounds tumbled past me. It is no joke, amazing place however.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
While booting up at Lunch Rocks, a slab weighing several hundred pounds tumbled past me. It is no joke, amazing place however.

For sure it's no joke. We were sitting on the rocks and people started yelling "ice!" I turn around and see it all coming at us, first thing drop down off the rock and duck. My wife on the other hand stood there looking straight at the ice, like a deer in the headlight. Had to grab her head and push her down. Got a kiss, tried that at home, got slapped. LOL

Nah, truth tough, not funny stuff. But that's the kind of stuff that makes Tux, Tux.

kingslug

Makes me rethink the wisdom of getting anywhere near the edge of the snow pack, like I did, last Memorial Day Weekend.

Mt.%2520078.jpg

There was quite a gap between the cliff face and the snow, it wouldn't have been good if I manged to fall in between, or if it collapsed.

Mt.%2520082.jpg

I did traverse across Sluice below this small crevasse, I clicked in above and to the left. I side slipped until I got below this point to ensure no chance of falling and sliding into it. Should have been nowhere near this either. I should have stayed below this point, lucky.

Well that looks familiar but just not as big or I wouldn't have gone near it..there was no hole until...I made one...

snowmonster

I still itch from the bug bites...:beer:

I was itching for at least a week after and had the scars/welts for a month. Saltwater is a great cure. After I started hitting the beach, the itching and scabbing went away. Never again. I'm bringing industrial strength DEET next time. Coming soon, right? I wonder what interesting characters we'll meet in the Bowl this year.

Cornhead

I was itching for at least a week after and had the scars/welts for a month. Saltwater is a great cure. After I started hitting the beach, the itching and scabbing went away. Never again. I'm bringing industrial strength DEET next time. Coming soon, right? I wonder what interesting characters we'll meet in the Bowl this year.

Thank God they weren't out yet while I was there, just missed them. Now that's what I call hard core. I hope you don't get to meet Mr. Priebatsch. I was watching the skiers in the bowl from the lodge at Wildcat with my binoculars last Saturday. I couldn't help thinking there was a body somewhere beneath them, bizarre.

snowmonster

^ That's what I meant by it will be eerie skiing there this year. No to be too morbid but it will be like stepping over someone's grave. I hope they recover his body soon. It's the Inferno next week and I'll be avoiding the crowds there. Looks like a short season. Be safe out there!