• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Massive ORDA Lift Upgrades Across 3 Resorts

abc

Where do you usually paddle? Ages ago I'd hit almost every Dryway release. Now I mostly paddle flatwater that's 20 feet from my back door. Lazy!
Deerfield is also my "usual", as in more often than any other rivers. But it's still quite a long drive for me. So I don't actually do it all that often lately. Each season, I pick a different river to focus on. Dead in Maine was one of my favorites for a couple years. Hellishly long drive from the lower Hudson Valley though.

I too have a gap of a few years. Pandemic has a lot to do with it. But also because I'm stepping up my ocean kayak on rough water (tide races, rock gardens, tidal bore), some of which are more available closer to home and just as intoxicating. Peeling out of an eddy into 8 knot current in a 16' long sea kayak generates a high like sniffing cocaine (sorry, I'm just guessing, never done hard drug). These days, river ww is more to do with keeping my reflex sharp and body flexible to do the ocean ww.

For this year, I'm contemplating doing the Week of Rivers in South Carolina in July. So I need to paddle as many days as I can find the next 2 months.

abc

lol
I rallied my attitude and decided to go to Belle tomorrow.
LOL!

By myself, I'm not motivated. But now, there's a growing group talking about going up together... So I may change my mind if those "talk" materialize into action.

jimk

I've only been to Whiteface a few times and most recent was 8 or 9 years ago. Liked the mtn, but not sure I even made it to Bear Den. I guess the proposed fancy lift over there is to make a better connection to the main ski area and get more people to park and start their day over there??

x10003q

I've only been to Whiteface a few times and most recent was 8 or 9 years ago. Liked the mtn, but not sure I even made it to Bear Den. I guess the proposed fancy lift over there is to make a better connection to the main ski area and get more people to park and start their day over there??
Yes and following the crowding in the Bear Den Lodge, we will hear how they need a new, bigger Lodge in the Bear Den area. Book it. It is only fair as Gore is getting a new lodge at its alternate entrance at the North Creek Ski Bowl and Belleayre just rebuilt the Discovery Lodge.

Kingslug20

I think Gore would be better seved if they built some lodging.
Look at Jay..remote..but has everything you need to stay for days.

PAabe

Bear Den lodge is already crowded sometimes - at least that has been my experience parking over there

machski

I think Gore would be better seved if they built some lodging.
Look at Jay..remote..but has everything you need to stay for days.
Yes, but we all know now how that was funded and if not for the pyramid scam, never would have happened. But wait, Gore is run by ORDA. Just burn the cash, the tax payers will support it LOL.

Kingslug20

16.5 M for a lift at WF that no one cares about..probably build a nice little hotel at Gore...and get an ROI for it...

PAabe

One thing that I can get behind is the Ski Bowl being a more significant base - the ski bowl already has a "base village" and it's a real, although very small, town, with several existing small hotels, B&Bs, and restaurants. The lodge is a step forward to that goal. Although the biggest issue is that they don't make snow for the interconnect.

If they want to throw a bunch of money at it, to me it would make more sense to go forward with the ski bowl base to burnt ridge summit lift rather than replacing the Hudson chair with a detachable. That way they only need to open pipeline for the ski bowl interconnect.

If they can manage that, and the walkway down past 28 to main street, and get the zoning done right, North Creek could be a real nice ski village. Overall that would seem like a much better investment than the monstrosities at Whiteface and Belleayre and the continuing trail widenings.

PAabe

Also, this didn't pop out at me before, but 3.5 million to replace the bear den poma at Gore seems like a lot especially considering the amount of people that would even use it with the sunway lift right there. Wouldn't they be able to get a nice old Hall or maybe a newer partek or a brand new carpet and slap it in there for a bit less than that?

cdskier

16.5 M for a lift at WF that no one cares about..probably build a nice little hotel at Gore...and get an ROI for it...
Except isn't the majority of Gore on "Forever Wild" land that they can't build a hotel on even if they wanted to? (Not that I want a state run area to get into the lodging business anyway). The bottom of the Ski Bowl has some private land though where development can occur. Again though...it shouldn't be the state footing the bill for development there outside of a lodge and infrastructure directly related to skiing.

cdskier

Wow...Gore just announced they plan on opening again next weekend. Today was already a new record for them on latest date open. Now they're trying to extend that even more. That's impressive if they can make it...

JimG.

Staff member
I have heard a rumor that ORDA management has mandated the ski areas stay open as long as possible. This would explain why Belleayre reopened yesterday. I had heard that several Belle regulars complained loudly that it closed on 4/11, especially with the amounts of snow left out there. If the base area of lift 8 wasn't totally burned out they would have reopened lift 8 in addition to lift 7. Dot Nebel was buried in snow top to bottom.

Again, just a rumor I heard on the deck at Overlook after I was done skiing. No further details.

x10003q

1. North Creek needs a sewage system badly - property owners rely on septic. It is almost impossible to do anything in NC unless they build a treatment plant.
2. Front Street owns 351 acres right next to the Ski Bowl. They have been approved since around 2008 to build over 400 units (hotels/Townhomes/Condos/SFHs). There are many ski in/ski out units in the plan.
3. Some of the future ski bowl trails are on the Front Street Acreage.