• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Massive ORDA Lift Upgrades Across 3 Resorts

Kingslug20

Theres not many places to stay at Gore..and since its pretty remote..that rules it out for most.

cdskier

Yeah, let's not do more bill boards please. World needs less of those
Honestly I agree. I've never "discovered" or decided to visit a ski area based on a billboard. If someone hasn't found Gore (or really any other area), then they simply aren't putting any effort into looking at what ski areas are out there.

I also agree with abc's recent comment. I'm not really sure it is "marketing" that is holding Gore back from being more popular. The skiing is great...but there's nothing around there. Gore is my 2nd favorite mountain in the east behind Sugarbush. And even though it is about a 90 minute drive closer than SB, I always said there's no way I could see myself having a vacation home in that area as there's just too much nothing nearby.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Honestly I agree. I've never "discovered" or decided to visit a ski area based on a billboard. If someone hasn't found Gore (or really any other area), then they simply aren't putting any effort into looking at what ski areas are out there.

I also agree with abc's recent comment. I'm not really sure it is "marketing" that is holding Gore back from being more popular. The skiing is great...but there's nothing around there. Gore is my 2nd favorite mountain in the east behind Sugarbush. And even though it is about a 90 minute drive closer than SB, I always said there's no way I could see myself having a vacation home in that area as there's just too much nothing nearby.

I'd be all about Gore over SB for a 4 season destination. I'd buy a property halfway in between Gore and Lake George and have a boat on Lake George for the summer. 20 minutes to skiing, 20 minutes to boating.

But, folks don't all share the same off season interests as I do.

cdskier

I'd be all about Gore over SB for a 4 season destination. I'd buy a property halfway in between Gore and Lake George and have a boat on Lake George for the summer. 20 minutes to skiing, 20 minutes to boating.

But, folks don't all share the same off season interests as I do.

I could see that for some people. Wasn't a consideration for me personally as I was looking primarily for the winter part. I already have access to boating anytime I want at the vacation house my parents still have in the Poconos. And even Lake George is a 3+ hour drive so while I can deal with long weekly drives for skiing, I don't have that same passion for boating to justify the summer part.

And not sure if this makes sense...but North Creek (and anywhere between there and Lake George) really always just seemed like "towns" while the Mad River Valley area around SB seemed more like a "community" that you could feel like a part of. I just never felt any sort of unique vibe in the towns around Gore that pulled me. That's just my take though...

Kingslug20

Not much going on in any of those towns...maybe snow mobilers hanging around in the one bar i found. Cheap lodging is near schroon lake..but nothing much going on there either.

x10003q

Theres not many places to stay at Gore..and since its pretty remote..that rules it out for most.
And this is why Gore needs to have a marketing plan for the NY metro. Even Kingslug20 thinks Gore is "pretty remote".

I get to Gore from north NJ in 3:15 on a Friday night. It is less driving time from Albany to Gore vs Albany to Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromley, Magic, Okemo.

Gore has terrain that matches up favorably with Mt Snow, Stratton, Okemo (lots of Blue trails) yet does about 1/3 the visits. It is up to ORDA to make Gore known to people like Kingslug20 who still think Gore is pretty remote. Maybe if Gore was marketed properly, there would be more housing and nightlife. That might convice more people to visit Gore.

cdskier

And this is why Gore needs to have a marketing plan for the NY metro. Even Kingslug20 thinks Gore is "pretty remote".

I get to Gore from north NJ in 3:15 on a Friday night. It is less driving time from Albany to Gore vs Albany to Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromley, Magic, Okemo.

Gore has terrain that matches up favorably with Mt Snow, Stratton, Okemo (lots of Blue trails) yet does about 1/3 the visits. It is up to ORDA to make Gore known to people like Kingslug20 who still think Gore is pretty remote. Maybe if Gore was marketed properly, there would be more housing and nightlife. That might convice more people to visit Gore.

I don't think slug's comment about Gore being "pretty remote" meant what you think it meant. Being "pretty remote" has nothing to do with actual distance. It is more the perspective that there's nothing in the area. By that logic...it IS remote and no amount of marketing changes that.

Smellytele

I don't think slug's comment about Gore being "pretty remote" meant what you think it meant. Being "pretty remote" has nothing to do with actual distance. It is more the perspective that there's nothing in the area. By that logic...it IS remote and no amount of marketing changes that.
so what is near Mt Snow, Stratton, Bromley, Magic, Okemo? Nothing

cdskier

Okemo has the town of Ludlow, that's a pretty big town for Vermont, certainly not nothing.
Exactly. Ludlow is a pretty charming town with quite a few places to stay and eat. Rt 100 by Mt Snow has quite a bit. Stratton has an entire village at the base. I don't see the comparison between any of those and North Creek being close at all...

Smellytele

Stratton village is over priced crappy and fake.
Lake George is 30-35 minutes from Gore. Much better than anything near mt snow. Also cheapish off season places to stay

cdskier

Stratton village is over priced crappy and fake.
Lake George is 30-35 minutes from Gore. Much better than anything near mt snow. Also cheapish off season places to stay
I agree on the Stratton village...but the point is it still exists. And the people that like that Stratton type village aren't typically the type of people that want to drive 30 minutes to get to the mountain in the morning. Hell I don't like Stratton's village personally...but I also have no interest in driving 30-35 minutes in the morning from Lake George. When I'm at a mountain for vacation (where I already have to drive 3+ hours to get there in the first place), I want to be within 10-15 minutes max and not have to do a lot more driving every day. I have no desire to drive any further than that in the morning to get to the mountain. And that's the big problem at Gore. There's really not a lot within that range at all. That alone will turn a lot of people off no matter how much marketing you do.

KustyTheKlown

manchester vermont is a center of hotels, restaurants and shopping

ludlow is to a lesser extent

both are basically new york city compared to north creek

i stay in Lake George when i ski gore, but i am a very specific subset of skier who doesn't mind being an hour away from the hill if it makes the price right

gore posted this morning that they got 18" from the storm. i think I'm gonna hit gore sat and sugarbush sun

abc

The other problem with lodging 1/2 hr away is, if you aren't solo, and your companion wants to quit early or stay till last lift when you don't, one of you will have to do what the other want instead of what you want.

With lodging less than 10-15 min radius, one of you can simply go back, shower and relax. Then come back to pick the other one up. Doesn't feel like a chore. (better still if there's a shuttle bus running by your lodging and remove that minor chore). 1/2 hr away? Not so much.

KustyTheKlown

gore also promptly replied to my instagram comment asking about lifts and terrain this weekend. no info yet but they said all details will be on their site tonight.

ThatGuy

Got a comp ticket for SB, might just buy one for Gore instead and reschedule SB if a decent amount of terrain is going to be open tomorrow at Gore.

KustyTheKlown

ya gore and whiteface are both $50 this weekend. totally reasonable. just waiting to see what is on offer before i decide. home > gore > warren > sugarbush > home is a pretty easy route. especially compared to last weeks home > jay > gorham > sugarloaf > gorham > loon > home.