• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Middle Aged Beginners

RISkier

What is the rule on tipping instructors? I almost took a lesson last year at Sugarbush, but ended up just skiing, but was wondering what a good tip is.

I don't think there is a rule and I'm sure any tip is appreciated. I think most folks don't tip and probably don't even think about it. For quite a while I assumed that "professional" ski instructors were paid a "professional" wage. But except for high end instructors, they generally are very poorly paid for their time. When we've had good group lessons we've often done $20 two of us.

Sky

Tipping the instructor

Tipping is key. You make an impression on the server. You either have class...or you don't. Sorta blunt, But to the point.

I tip. I'm not going to hunt down the "change" to tip my waiterss/waiter. They either deserve the over...or the under.

As for ski instructors...I'm in a different position than most. I buy a five pack of lessons @ Wa for $70. At my level, I usually get a private lesson. So...when I'm done with a private lesson I got for about $20...I may tip $20....I may tip $10, depending on the lesson.

Shake hands and slide some cash in there at teh end of the lesson. Set the standard for those who are unaware that tipping is thte right thing to do.

No, I'm not a waiter, not an instructor.

bigbog

Ditto the learning how to stop and fall as softly as possible.
Gravity and Momentum rule...so learn not to fight them...let your boots and skis work with them...
Ditto...learn from those who know...lessons(listening/visualizing) & reading.

$.01
SteveD