• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Morning Shift at Mount Sunapee: March 19, 2006

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Sunday, March 19, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Mount Sunapee

Conditions: MG/PP/Fresh Snowmaking. Weather: Cloudy, some NW winds, snow flurries.

Trip Report: Looking at this weekend, I knew that I could get two solid days of skiing in. The first was to be at Stowe (well, originally Mad River) and the second was up for grabs. I had considered Burke, but things were not too good up there (20 trails open...snowmaking runs only). :( My wallet, and body, also could not take another looonnngggg day of driving, so I decided to go to the local backup for the early morning shift. No regrets.

Looking at the snowreports last night, I was shocked to see that Sunapee was blowing snow :eek: And with a resort of that size, they can cover a lot of ground in quick time (no pun intended).

I got up early again...after hitting the snooze button twice. Left here at 7:15 and pulled into the lot just shy of 8am. On the lift at 8:15. I skied hard for the first two hours. Five runs off the HSQ. New snowmaking on Bonanza, Skyway, Blastoff. Bonanza was an early fav--lots of soft pow and great rolls. I was back in my element. Blast Off was tricky--grooming had turned up some death cookies in places, so care was needed. Hansen Chase was in great shape...lots of soft pow on the sides from snowmaking.

So after cleaning up the front side, I headed to North Peak. Goosebumps and Lynx were mint. Lynx was the best it has been all season--nice MG powder and LG. Three runs on that alone. I also did three runs down Goosebumps, which was holding up well. Bumps on Flying Goose were just remade and were bit too solid for me. The side trail was nice. I spent quite a while picking off these runs before descending Cataract into the 'bowl. Nice run, some ice in places.

The Sunbowl was cold and dark. The crew had done a great job recovering the runs back there as well :eek: The snow was a bit firmer and not as soft as North Peak, so I hit Wingding and Skyway (icy on top) before going down an overly crowded Bonanza (family day...folks, there is no need to ski in a looonnnnggggg line snaking across the ENTIRE trail :roll: ). Hansen Chase had soft pow on the sides....I hit it twice more. I also hit Gooesbumps and Lynx once more each before pulling the plug. Almost biffed it on Hansen in the soft pow...tails got caught and I stumbled. Recovered...but that was the sign that it was time to go.

Left the mountain at 12:30pm. Pretty quiet overall...lower lot was empty.

Good turns for Sunday AM. :beer: I did not try the pizza or chili :lol: Word had it that the place will be going until April 9th or 16th weather permitting.

hammer

Just got back from a whole day at Sunapee...conditions were pretty much as thetrailboss said. No lift lines all day and conditions were surprisingly good given the weather we've had.

Oh yeah...we brought our lunch with us today so no pizza or chili for us either. ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
hammer said:
Just got back from a whole day at Sunapee...conditions were pretty much as thetrailboss said. No lift lines all day and conditions were surprisingly good given the weather we've had.

Oh yeah...we brought our lunch with us today so no pizza or chili for us either. ;)

I THOUGHT you were going today. I might have seen you...I was clad in black and had my blue helmet on. Skiing like a banshee as well :lol:

hammer

thetrailboss said:
I THOUGHT you were going today. I might have seen you...I was clad in black and had my blue helmet on. Skiing like a banshee as well :lol:
You would have blazed by me then...I'm always the last one down the mountain. Usually it's because I just like to enjoy the turns...

BTW, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice Lynx was today...spotted some small rocks on the trail, though. Took my first two runs down Goosebumps as well...wasn't too pretty given my skill level, but it was fun.