• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

mount snow to install a bubble 6 pack next year!

Newpylong

I wonder if they would try to do a summit event ever at night with the bubbles? Probably stil too cold for people not in ski clothing, lol.

Method9455

It's interesting that they didn't pull the chairs off the line before opening day. They are blowing snow like crazy and at least some of the chairs are going to be iced up.

drjeff

It's interesting that they didn't pull the chairs off the line before opening day. They are blowing snow like crazy and at least some of the chairs are going to be iced up.

From having walked by "The Birdhouse" (the storage barn for the chairs) about 6:15 this evening, I can say that they're all inside tonight - they've been deploying them every day so that they can get used to how much time it takes to get them all on the haul rope, and i'm pretty sure to also allow them to finish up the last bit of work on the interior of the birdhouse - unfortunately as of 10PMthe mother nature is still a bit mean as its still just 31 degrees at my place (about a few hundred verts above the base area and the fan guns are only running on the top roughly half of the mountain and with the high cloud layer it will likely still take a few hours, if at all before they get the temps down to the base area - mother nature is so close, but yet so far right now at Mount Snow :mad:

Newpylong

I just watched the first chair go up and then then unload at the top ont he webcam. In the meantime the lift made short work of the line at the bottom. Should without question help with lines this year. Let's hope they get the temps to open terraint to disperse.

Glenn

The ride is awesome, very quiet and smooth. It feels like you're sitting on a really big flying couch. It's scoots along pretty good too. It makes pretty quick work of the lines at the bottom. The loading will take a little getting used to, but as the season goes along, it'll get easier. Overall, a very very impressive lift. We were on maybe the 15th or so chair up this AM.

jaywbigred

We were the 35th chair, it is fast, smooth, quiet. Kinda of awesome...all the best parts of a gondola without any of the annoying ones (taking skis off, sitting awkwardly on non-padded plastic, sweaty, poorly ventilated rank space, slow-as-balls loading and unloading.

vcunning

The ride is awesome, very quiet and smooth. It feels like you're sitting on a really big flying couch. It's scoots along pretty good too. It makes pretty quick work of the lines at the bottom. The loading will take a little getting used to, but as the season goes along, it'll get easier. Overall, a very very impressive lift. We were on maybe the 15th or so chair up this AM.

Hey, I was on the "15th or so chair" too! Our foursome ironically got randomly matched with Glenn and his wife for the ride up. This lift is amazing. It makes the HSQs seem like Tinkertoys!

drjeff

Only way I can describe the Bluebird would be that its a game changer! So awesome to be able to ride up in wind free comfort and then still be able to feel the wind blowing down by your boots! And on day 2 its running without any issue or even sensation of the chairs rocking with a steady 15-20mph wind with higher gusts up at the summit! Plus the golden bubble on chair #50 is a nice touch especially with the ski school age population! :)

Glenn

Hey, I was on the "15th or so chair" too! Our foursome ironically got randomly matched with Glenn and his wife for the ride up. This lift is amazing. It makes the HSQs seem like Tinkertoys!

That was awesome. I saw a guy in a white tophat behind us and put 2 and 2 together!

We ran into intereting issue today; we were really warm despite it being in the 20's in the am. The bubble blocks the wind and keeps things pretty comfy inside. So you never relly had. Chance to cool off. Ww had to take. Run or two on the Canyon lift to chill out. Good problem to have!

drjeff

Apparently the Bluebird is running without any issues in gusts to around 50mph today! This is an improvement by far over what the Grand Summit Express could operate in! Maybe the engineers at Leitner-Poma weren't BS'ing when they said that this lift would have very good wind operational abilities! :)

Glenn

Damn! That's impressive! That would have been a wind hold for the Grand Summit lift.

drjeff

I heard the new lift had a few stoppages today.

A fair number of folks just staring at the lift rather than moving to the loading line were the cause of most of the problems yesterday -- a much improved queue area and line attendants have things moving smoother today (Sunday)

jaywbigred

A fair number of folks just staring at the lift rather than moving to the loading line were the cause of most of the problems yesterday -- a much improved queue area and line attendants have things moving smoother today (Sunday)

There was an extended operational issue at one point yesterday when we were about 10th from loading. 3 Techs drove in on snowmobiles and went into base control room. 10 minutes or less later they had it running. I was guessing computer issue but don't have a real clue.