• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain morons at mountain creek

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
your not. its common place on the weekends. i was on the line yesterday and a kid decides that he wants to join his buddies 6 people away on a merge. without hesitation he jumps across everyones skis and boards to hook up with them. no excuse me or oh i'm sorry. nothing. does he have parents? does he have a brain? does he need a boot in the ass? you bet!

i had a kid do that a few weeks ago completely forgot about it till now. i grap the kid by the back of his jacket draged him out of line and told the lifty to call the police as i wanted to file a property damage report. the kid shit himself. he started apologizing. i told him he just damaged property and i was going to file a report with the police and he would have to show up to court with his parents. at this point he was kinda worried. finally i gave in and said if i ever see him doing some sort of dumb shit like that in the line again it was on. he's a puck ass kid and i am a respectable adult. whos a cop going to belive. this was all done very clamly on my part never lost it. there is something scary when an adult looks at a kids cool as can be and threatens them. you get results. i have seen the kid a few time and he says hi.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
i had a kid do that a few weeks ago completely forgot about it till now. i grap the kid by the back of his jacket draged him out of line and told the lifty to call the police as i wanted to file a property damage report. the kid shit himself. he started apologizing. i told him he just damaged property and i was going to file a report with the police and he would have to show up to court with his parents. at this point he was kinda worried. finally i gave in and said if i ever see him doing some sort of dumb shit like that in the line again it was on. he's a puck ass kid and i am a respectable adult. whos a cop going to belive. this was all done very clamly on my part never lost it. there is something scary when an adult looks at a kids cool as can be and threatens them. you get results. i have seen the kid a few time and he says hi.

Now that is some quick thinking to teach someone (and every other clueless person watching from the lift line) a good lesson :cool:

tirolerpeter

MC Morons

There were morons skiing at MC long before it was called that. When my daughter was very young (She actually started skiing at age 3.) we lived on Long Island and occasionally skied Vernon Valley/Great Gorge. The way I kept the morons at bay was to ski a bit behind her with my poles held about waist high and pointed outward. BTW, on my first run this morning at Alta (I live in UT now) I was moving pretty fast down a wide open steep trail when a teenage girl who had been making nice tight, short turns up ahead of me along the left side of the trail suddenly went wide to her right and skied right across the front of my skis. To avoid a nasty body impact I had to drop to my left and did a "slide for life" for over a 100 yards. At least she skied down to see how I was. Luckily I wasn't hurt. I actually try to ski on actual trails as little as possible, but I understand that is not really possible in the East.

hardline

There were morons skiing at MC long before it was called that. When my daughter was very young (She actually started skiing at age 3.) we lived on Long Island and occasionally skied Vernon Valley/Great Gorge. The way I kept the morons at bay was to ski a bit behind her with my poles held about waist high and pointed outward. BTW, on my first run this morning at Alta (I live in UT now) I was moving pretty fast down a wide open steep trail when a teenage girl who had been making nice tight, short turns up ahead of me along the left side of the trail suddenly went wide to her right and skied right across the front of my skis. To avoid a nasty body impact I had to drop to my left and did a "slide for life" for over a 100 yards. At least she skied down to see how I was. Luckily I wasn't hurt. I actually try to ski on actual trails as little as possible, but I understand that is not really possible in the East.

well your partially right from SVT down you spend most of you time on the trails but once you get further north you can get off the trails. the problem is as you get closer to the lift you have convergence of people in to a small area. so shit will happen

poconovfr

i conpletely disagree. just dont go there durring the day on the weekends. i go for an hour or 2 early on the weekend and durring the day/night on the weekend and its fine. yo need to know how to use the hill. they are actually starting to improve things. 260 for a full pass and 199 for the 5x7 for a place that is and hour from my house or 1:15 from the city is great. i always have fun.

Ok,maybe that was a bit harsh and it was 6 or so years ago just as Interwest stepped in.As a guy who grew up working on mountains I was just amazed of the lack of night Mgt. I've loaded myself on chairs before???? Lift line coral ,you know the nice steel ones with the t bottom fastners exposed???? and because no one has instucted the "mall" crowd proper ski area manners the nighht crowd was out of control.The last straw was warm beer in plastic cups. I've changed the channel and moved to a new mountain ........they serve cold beer.

The pass is cheap and the hill it self offers good terrain for the area.

drjeff

I will totally admit that my perspective about proximity and speed of passing a newbie and/or parent with kid COMPLETELY changed after I got on the hill with my daughter.

I now throttle back a great deal more than I used to on heavily traveled beginner prone trails and leave a wider berth when passing.

What may seem like an "innocent" pass to someone highly skilled on a pair of planks/board can very often seem aggressive to someone who is learning.

Now cutting across the tip(s) of one's skis/board, now that warrants a bit of a verbal "WTF were you doing/thinking!"

hammer

I will totally admit that my perspective about proximity and speed of passing a newbie and/or parent with kid COMPLETELY changed after I got on the hill with my daughter.

I now throttle back a great deal more than I used to on heavily traveled beginner prone trails and leave a wider berth when passing.

What may seem like an "innocent" pass to someone highly skilled on a pair of planks/board can very often seem aggressive to someone who is learning.

Now cutting across the tip(s) of one's skis/board, now that warrants a bit of a verbal "WTF were you doing/thinking!"
How about the times when you think you have a decent gap and the person in front decides to scoot right cross the trail in front of you? I've had to do my fair share of quick turns in the other direction, but sometimes I still end up a bit close, although I do apologize if I think I'm passing on the closer side.

Smaller kids on greens, that's another matter...when I see them I try to traverse to the other side well before I get to them.

Also, what about inexperienced skiers on blues and easy blacks that are picking their way down?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Also, what about inexperienced skiers on blues and easy blacks that are picking their way down?

Even worse then the people who get in over their head and pick their way down are those who snow plow or hockey stop down the hill and scrape off whatever cover there is. You see it alot with the snowboarders who go halfway down the hill with their board perpendicular to the drop. I was next to a ski instructor watching a group of kids scrape down a black diamond, and he turns to me and goes, "Times like this I wish they let me carry a gun." I totally lost it.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Damn, I hate to say this, but have you tried Blue Mountain? Every mountain has their share of jerks, but IMHO, there is none worst that Mountain Creek.
Yeah, but at bigger mountains there's more places for them to get lost. When you all have to ski the same trails because of limited options (I understand the greenies), it happens. I won't ski feeder hills because of the wreckless abandon with which many people ski and board there.

4aprice

At Camelback they have what are known as Rangers who are not ski patrol but sort of traffic cops. Now I've heard complaints about them but I have also seen them reprimand and pull tickets of out of control skiers/boarders. Some may not like it but they do serve a purpose. Sure Camelback has their share of idiots like any mountain but at least it seems a little more controled. They have even interviewed us about conditions on a trail where an accident has taken place. I personally have had no problems with them.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

keyser soze

Even the weekends aren't bad if you go after 4pm. The past 3 weeks the place just empties out, and you ski right up to the lifts. There are still a lot of people on the green trails, but the blues are fine, and the blacks are practically empty. This is my second year as a 5x7 season pass holder there, and I can notice a big difference from last year to this year. The conditions are miles ahead of where they were last year, and more open trails means less crowds.

I don't know about lately, but I learned to ski (skate) there about 30 yeears ago and the place was empty on Sunday (until noon) compared to what I was used to back then. It used to be a sheet of ice and thousands of people wiped out and laying all over the trails. There was no snow to turn on, only ice. Combine that with all of the beginners and the rental skis that couldn't cut through warm butrer and you get the picture.

I was there 2 Fridays ago at night and this past Sunday and was favorably impressed. I've been hitting Utah the last few years, so of course it's a major letdown, but at least I can get some turns in.

hardline

Ok,maybe that was a bit harsh and it was 6 or so years ago just as Interwest stepped in.As a guy who grew up working on mountains I was just amazed of the lack of night Mgt. I've loaded myself on chairs before???? Lift line coral ,you know the nice steel ones with the t bottom fastners exposed???? and because no one has instucted the "mall" crowd proper ski area manners the nighht crowd was out of control.The last straw was warm beer in plastic cups. I've changed the channel and moved to a new mountain ........they serve cold beer.

The pass is cheap and the hill it self offers good terrain for the area.

the corals are still the same. the beer is served in glass now and the bar they opened at vernon is really nice. they are slowly making improvements and it is showing.

I don't know about lately, but I learned to ski (skate) there about 30 yeears ago and the place was empty on Sunday (until noon) compared to what I was used to back then. It used to be a sheet of ice and thousands of people wiped out and laying all over the trails. There was no snow to turn on, only ice. Combine that with all of the beginners and the rental skis that couldn't cut through warm butrer and you get the picture.

I was there 2 Fridays ago at night and this past Sunday and was favorably impressed. I've been hitting Utah the last few years, so of course it's a major letdown, but at least I can get some turns in.

the last few weeks since they have got all the trail open have been great.

Maksim

I went to Hidden Valley which is right next to Mountain Creek.... night and day those two. No kids laying in the middle of the trail like I see at blue all the time. People respected each other, skied with courtesy and was well, a very pleasent time.

ERJ-145CA

Unfortunately starting next season HV is going to be a semi-private club and will be members only on weekends and holidays. Actually I think they said they will sell a small quantity of tickets to the public on weekends. They will still be open to the general public on non-holiday weekdays.

gladerider

i quit going to MC long time ago for the same reason. the worst place to ski IMHO. i grew up skiing there. it wasn't that bad then. a lot of yahoos there.

millerm277

Unfortunately starting next season HV is going to be a semi-private club and will be members only on weekends and holidays. Actually I think they said they will sell a small quantity of tickets to the public on weekends. They will still be open to the general public on non-holiday weekdays.

I have my doubts that will pan out. I could be wrong, but I kind of doubt it.

ERJ-145CA

I have my doubts that will pan out. I could be wrong, but I kind of doubt it.

I had my doubts too, but it is going to happen next season at least, I don't know if it will last longer than that. As a pass holder I got an e-mail saying they won't be selling unlimited passes for next season and that it's definitely going to be semi-private. I'll only be able to get a weekday/non-holiday pass. The e-mail outlined the club membership and gave the ticket prices for the limited number of tickets they will sell on weekends.

Dr Skimeister

I've had information sent to me about the Hidden Valley Club. It takes a $6000 bond to get your foot in the door. IMHO, the product doesn't warrant the investment.