• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MRG's Single Chair Set for Renovations (?)

dmc

ftrain said:
dmc said:
But I would LOVE the chance to hit Paradise on a snowboard...

Why would you want to detroy such a nice trail?

This is the kind of open snowboard hatred that I appreciate...
It keeps these kind of threads going.. Exposing the truth that a lot of skiers feel but for what ever reason choose to not address... Kind of what I was eluding to earlier...

Thanks for proving my point! And for hating snowboarding...
I feel like an outlaw again... :)

I

Ig ODC

Let me clarify what I said a few posts up, I said if the bathrooms or food suck it is no big deal, I was NOT IN ANY WAY saying that about MRG, the food and bathrooms there are very nice. I was making a more general statement about ski areas in general, in that if I'm at an area with a crappy lodge who cares, it is about the skiing. Actually, I think MRG's basebox is one of the nicest facilities around.

As far as the anti snowboarding thing, it is a shame people have these stereotypes and incorrect assertions about what snowboarders do and don't do to trails. It is a shame they can't ride MRG or Alta, it is unfair to boarders to be excluded from such great terrain. There is no issue with boarders and the lift, there is no issue with boarders scraping off the snow, just aint an issue. See, if there were scraping issues then there would be a noticeable difference between Snowbird and Alta, and it just isn't there. Alta does have better snow, but that is more about its location, higher up, and better north facing aspects, but there is no thinking at Snowbird that boarders just chopped up this trail, trees, line or whatever.

All that being said, it is damn nice to ski without boarders. They do their thing a bit differently than skiers and it can suck trying to get around them. Different types of turns, different speeds, different terrain suits them differently so being on the trail with them can be bothersome. It has nothing to do with snowboarders being on trails they shouldn't be on, skiers are just as gulity. Skiers side slip just as poorly as boarders do. I enjoy skiing with expert boarders, but when it comes down to it, is can be frustrating because some stuff the skiers will excel on and some the boarders will, and often you find yourselves disagreeing on terrain to pick. So, a skier might side slip through something a boarder will cruise right through, and vice versa. It is ignorant to think boarders would ruin the snow on Paradise, boarders are often better in the trees than skiers, especially tight trees, but thinking about it, Paradise isn't tight trees, so if anything, it would be the OB stuff that boarders would really excel on. So, what will happen is skiers will be in the tight trees going slow and a boarder will fly right by them, perhaps cutting off a skier because they are going so much faster. Similarly on another trail, perhaps the skier has to pass the boarder. What I'm getting at is that they do things differently and it can be bothersome to have to deal with the other sides issues with different terrain, so if you eliminate the other side, the issues go away.

Scraping and the like is bull, are their issues at Sugarbush with their natural snow trails, they get the same snow, and I bet not. It all has to do with just not wanting to deal with how boarders are different than skiers. Like I said, it would work vice versa if boarders had a board only mountain, they would be happier there.

Mark

And I would assume boarders would enjoy a resort without skiers just the same.

dmc

Ig ODC said:
And I would assume boarders would enjoy a resort without skiers just the same.

Your wrong...
I would miss my friends... And my fiance' too.. ;)

The only thing I EVER have problems with when it comes to riding with skiers and telemarkers is access... Like traverses and stuff...

And maybe bump trails..

Otherwise we have a blast just about anywhere we go.. East coast - Out West... Inbounds and out of bounds... whatever....

awf170

about the alta snowbird thing i found smaller moguls at snowbird. The nastyest moguls with no pattern i found were at alta( still good for east coast standers)

ctenidae

there is most certainly a stereotype about boarders. the whole "Hey, dude" surfer-type thing, right or wrong, is there. I think the biggest confirmer of the stereotype is the difference, as mentioned above, between how skiers get down a hill versus boarders. Different turns, different blind spots, different strengths and weaknesses. An American driver will, naturally, think that an Italian driver is awful (they are, but that's beside the point).
Objectively speaking (I try to be as objective as I can) I think I see more snowboarders doing things I'd classify as stupid than I see skiers doing the same things. Stoping in the middle of a slope, scraping fully on edge down a bit of a run, that sort of thing. I knwo there are technical differences, and boarders have to go to their knees or sit down when stopped, but the rules on picking a spot to do it should apply to everyone, no matter the number of surfaces on the snow. My sister-in-law and brother-and-law both board, and they're both quite good, adn both entirely proffesional and intelligent in their non-slope lives. Yet, they stop in the damndest places on trails. Maybe a difference in where it's easy to stop. Maybe just a case of bloodymindedness. It's my contention, though, that this sort of thing perpetuates teh anti-board stereotype. Nothing much that can be done about that, I suppose.
All that being said, if MRG were to suddenly lose the single and drop the ban, I think they'd lose a lot of their mystique, their mythos would be revealed as a sham, and they'd lose their place a "the" place to ski hard.
It's their bed, they made it, and they better enjoy sleeping in it.
dmc, I'd love to see you on the slopes, because I'm quite sure you wouldn't cause me to wonder, "WTF is he thinking?"

dmc

YOu know this kinda bugs me... I ride with tons of skiers and telemarkers... They never once said thet have issues about the way me and friends ride... And we ski and ride together all over the place..

I could say there's huge differnces in styles between just the skiers in my group... Some like bumps.. Some like the side of the trail... Some like to make big turns and carve...
It's not like we're riding on a 5 foot wide strip of snow... There's pleanty of roomn for everyone to express themselves...

I supposedly ride the most crowded ski area in the world.... Maybe once a weekend do I have to stop and ask snowboarders to move out of the way...I prefer the side of the trail so maybe thats why.. But I doubt it...

As far as me being a person that you wouldnt say "WTF is he thinking?" about... Be careful - I could suck really bad.. I find most people overstate their abilities on the internet...

ctenidae said:
there is most certainly a stereotype about boarders. the whole "Hey, dude" surfer-type thing, right or wrong, is there. I think the biggest confirmer of the stereotype is the difference, as mentioned above, between how skiers get down a hill versus boarders. Different turns, different blind spots, different strengths and weaknesses. An American driver will, naturally, think that an Italian driver is awful (they are, but that's beside the point).
Objectively speaking (I try to be as objective as I can) I think I see more snowboarders doing things I'd classify as stupid than I see skiers doing the same things. Stoping in the middle of a slope, scraping fully on edge down a bit of a run, that sort of thing. I knwo there are technical differences, and boarders have to go to their knees or sit down when stopped, but the rules on picking a spot to do it should apply to everyone, no matter the number of surfaces on the snow. My sister-in-law and brother-and-law both board, and they're both quite good, adn both entirely proffesional and intelligent in their non-slope lives. Yet, they stop in the damndest places on trails. Maybe a difference in where it's easy to stop. Maybe just a case of bloodymindedness. It's my contention, though, that this sort of thing perpetuates teh anti-board stereotype. Nothing much that can be done about that, I suppose.
All that being said, if MRG were to suddenly lose the single and drop the ban, I think they'd lose a lot of their mystique, their mythos would be revealed as a sham, and they'd lose their place a "the" place to ski hard.
It's their bed, they made it, and they better enjoy sleeping in it.
dmc, I'd love to see you on the slopes, because I'm quite sure you wouldn't cause me to wonder, "WTF is he thinking?"

I

Ig ODC

Skiers stop in the middle of the trail just as much as Boarders. I don't know why people say otherwise.

dmc

Ig ODC said:
Skiers stop in the middle of the trail just as much as Boarders. I don't know why people say otherwise.

Cause people only see what appears negative...

bvibert

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
As for the chair thing, will be interested to see what the final vote is....

Stop trying to change the subject! This thread is about how much boarders suck!! :uzi:

:lol: :lol:

Seriously, it will be interesting to see how they vote... :)

Tin Woodsman

dmc -

FYI, much of the best terrain at MRG like Paradise, the 20th Hole, Octopus Garden, and others, requires mandatory traverses in and/or out. With boarders, this would require some rserious post-holing. I'm making a judgement call, but I'm sure that's on the minds of many shareholders when they think about the issue.

As for the issue of boarders stopping here and there, it's boarders' penchant for stopping on the steep portion of a trail just below a rollover that steams me sometimes. They stop there b/c it's steeper and consequently easier to get up. But they can't be seen from above and it's downright dangerous. Goes back to my point about learning fro your parents/ski school vs. learning by doing/from your friends. In the first scenario, mountain etiquette is imparted that makes the experience better for all skiers and riders. In the second, maybe not so much.

dmc

Tin Woodsman said:
As for the issue of boarders stopping here and there, it's boarders' penchant for stopping on the steep portion of a trail just below a rollover that steams me sometimes. They stop there b/c it's steeper and consequently easier to get up. But they can't be seen from above and it's downright dangerous.

cool... You might as well "pile on" and rehash the same stuff everyone else says..

Too bad I'm suffering for someone elses bad choices...

Greg

Staff member
dmc said:
Tin Woodsman said:
As for the issue of boarders stopping here and there, it's boarders' penchant for stopping on the steep portion of a trail just below a rollover that steams me sometimes. They stop there b/c it's steeper and consequently easier to get up. But they can't be seen from above and it's downright dangerous.

cool... You might as well "pile on" and rehash the same stuff everyone else says..

I think all possible points on the snowboard issue have been made. Can we please get this back on track, i.e. discussing the chair?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Greg said:
dmc said:
Tin Woodsman said:

I think all possible points on the snowboard issue have been made. Can we please get this back on track, i.e. discussing the chair?

Hey DMC...maybe you should start a separate thread on the snowboard ban issue... :wink:

dmc

Enough with the winks...

I dont get the joke...

ftrain

Website
www.core6.com
I hope other mtns see how nice MRG is. You get off the lift and you ski. You do not need to try to ski around all these punks sitting on the ground and trying to buckle in. What a dumb sport it is.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Anyways...I'd like one of those chairs if they do sell them just in case any of you are looking for a birthday present for Trailboss here :wink: