• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Some Critical of Burton's "Kit:" For Tools or Something Else?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was watching the WCAX News Story on Burton's new "Kit:"

237005002_1

13723844_BG1.jpg

13723844_BG2.jpg

Some folks feel that this product (with the "H.E.M.P." label on it) is actually designed for snowboarders to put their drugs, lighters, and marijuana in it. As you can see from the stories, one drug prevention person says that this product sends the wrong message.

An interview of some anonymous snowboarders revealed what some folks think of it:

(Snowboarders spoke to us on condition of anonymity)

Reporter Gina Bullard: Have you heard of the kit?

Snowboarder: Yeah, the 4/20 by Burton.

Bullard: And what is it for?

Snowboarder: It's basically a crush-proof case that people use for rolling paper, rolling joints, pipes, stuff like that when they're going to go boarding or just walking around.
Snowboarding industry leader Burton sells the kit online and in its stores-- we bought one in their Burlington headquarters store for $25. But they don't say what the kit is or what it does.

"I mean you could put a tool in there but I don't think that's what most people use it for," one snowboarder said.

13723844_BG3.jpg

Burton says that they manufactured the product as a travel accessory to meet the needs of their customers.

Your thoughts?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think Burton designed a pouch to stash pot in because they know their target demographic well. Surprised WCAX even bothers with the story knowing that pot is so sociably acceptable in Vermont.

wa-loaf

They should stick a couple bandaids in it and call it a "safety" kit.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Awesome. That is simply awesome. And I don't even smoke...

What does the HEMP acronym stand for? I did a quick search online for this product and online retailers had some very amusing descriptions. :lol: I love the lack of subtlety in the image with the lighter and also calling it a 420 kit. I am sure this keeps their "cred" up even though they have gone corporate. :lol:

dmc

I have 2 - 420 kits...

They've been around for years...

Glenn

These dudes are gansta..... :lol:

13723844_BG3.jpg

And what a big surprise....males in their teens and early 20's smoke pot. Something tells me they would continue to do so if they had this kit or not.

neil

As a snowboarder I cringe when I see this stuff. So lame.

Mullen

Burton says that they manufactured the product as a travel accessory to meet the needs of their customers.

Your thoughts?

Seems about right to me. Burton has a good marketing department.

I can think of many more things that are sold and marketed everywhere that are a lot worse.

coorslightsnowboardneon.jpg

dmc

Yea, this is definitely not a new product, even to burton.

Seriously - I got my first 420 kit from my friend who used to rep for Burton like 4 years ago,,, Maybe longer..

2knees

Seems about right to me. Burton has a good marketing department.

I can think of many more things that are sold and marketed everywhere that are a lot worse.

coorslightsnowboardneon.jpg

Coors Light should be illegal.

neil

Get over it... Skiers and snowboarders smoke weed...

It's got nothing to do with weed. The marketing of it is stupid, and it ties in with the awful gangsta snowboarder image that people like to project. Snowboarding/skiing is the least gangsta thing of all time.