• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My big break

snoseek

So last night me and G.F. were flying back to Colorado Springs from the East Coast. We had to change planes in Denver and noticed that the flight was very busy. The check in lady asked if anyone would volunteer their seats and catch a flight 1 hour later. We literally ran to the desk and found out they were giving vouchers for a free flight anywhere in the lower 48 with 0 blackouts. Sweet!!!!!

So we had to wait an extra 60 minutes for a first class upgrade and two free airline tix anywhere. I had no intentions of coming back east for the holidays because of $$$$ tix but things have definately changed now. Plus we can fly into Portland or Manchester instead of the dreaded logan. I can't wait to ski the Northeast again!!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sweet! I'm sure you suffered greatly for the sacrifice you made. ;) :lol:

I was really hoping for an offer like that coming back from Denver this past May. :D

WJenness

So last night me and G.F. were flying back to Colorado Springs from the East Coast. We had to change planes in Denver and noticed that the flight was very busy. The check in lady asked if anyone would volunteer their seats and catch a flight 1 hour later. We literally ran to the desk and found out they were giving vouchers for a free flight anywhere in the lower 48 with 0 blackouts. Sweet!!!!!

So we had to wait an extra 60 minutes for a first class upgrade and two free airline tix anywhere. I had no intentions of coming back east for the holidays because of $$$$ tix but things have definately changed now. Plus we can fly into Portland or Manchester instead of the dreaded logan. I can't wait to ski the Northeast again!!

Sweet deal!

I didn't know they bumped people on those flights... it'd be faster to turn the plane around and pick up the other passengers once they dropped the first load off in Colorado Springs.

It's like a 15 min. flight, right?

-w

snoseek

Sweet deal!

I didn't know they bumped people on those flights... it'd be faster to turn the plane around and pick up the other passengers once they dropped the first load off in Colorado Springs.

It's like a 15 min. flight, right?

-w

Yeah it really made no sense at all. We took the exact same flight an hour later and it was half-full. They would have had me at a 100 dollar voucher, Hell even 50. Our original flight took off about 20 min. late because it was so full and a big clusterf%$#, so really we only lost out on like 40 minutes. I had enough time to go to the bar and drink one pint. Overall I think the flight is about 40 minutes just cause of takeoff-landing. It's maybe 70 miles by car.

WJenness

Yeah it really made no sense at all. We took the exact same flight an hour later and it was half-full. They would have had me at a 100 dollar voucher, Hell even 50. Our original flight took off about 20 min. late because it was so full and a big clusterf%$#, so really we only lost out on like 40 minutes. I had enough time to go to the bar and drink one pint. Overall I think the flight is about 40 minutes just cause of takeoff-landing. It's maybe 70 miles by car.

And this is why all the airlines are bankrupt...

Worked out great for you.

My roommate took that flight last year (he went to referee a fencing tournament at USAFA), and called it "the stupidest flight ever."

-w

dmc

I travel a ton...
I find anything less then a ticket in hand is a gamble...

Last time i did the ticket for a bump.... my flight got canceled... sucked...

Sweet I've never flown first class...I had the option to upgrade on the Chicago to Jackson leg of my flight this last January for an extra $150 or so but I declined..because that buys alot of beer and steaks in J-Hole..but l'd like to fly first class sometime..

powderman

Awesome deal! I'd love to fly first class, but it's to expensive

dmc

SInce I travel so much - I get upgrades for first class all the time... Plus if I use my miles I just go first class.. Because - miles will actually expire... So you gotta use 'em...

Flew to Utah last year in first class.. Pimp style... Drank till I was buzzed..

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
NICE. I should have one of those credit cards that you earn miles. I could be flying in style, too.... :lol:

Last edited:

playoutside

First class is really sweet on some airlines...Traveled a lot to London last year for work... always on Virgin Atlantic Upper Class...absolutely an amazing experience. Press a button and the big comfy chair flips over to form a bed that really lays flat, they give you a "sleep suit" to change into, excellent food and drink, they offer "treatments" too that include massge, manicure, etc. When you land in the morning there is an arrivals lounge with private bathrooms with showers. They press your clothes while you shower and make you breakfast. Best is the departure lounge in Heathrow -- I'd happily have spent the day there. It was like being in an Austin Powers movie - very 70s modern, amazing variety of well prepared food, drink, hot tub, steam showers, haircuts and treatments all for free, It really seems like they would do most anything you asked. Customer service like I've rarely eperienced elsewhere.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
SInce I travel so much - I get upgrades for first class all the time... Plus if I use my miles I just go first class.. Because - miles will actually expire... So you gotta use 'em...

Flew to Utah last year in first class.. Pimp style... Drank till I was buzzed..

i think i am up to around 375 390,000 points on amex this year. i was just reminded by my partner. looks like im going somewhere for free. we have a few more project to do so i bet i could get that number close to 500,000. for all the money we put throught them they still wont give us a freakin plum card. i like using the cards instead of using net 30 with my vendors because i get rewards but i hate amex.

deadheadskier

Staff member

That's awesome man. Hadn't seen you post in awhile and was unaware of your trip back east. While you were here did you get to dig into some Loco's Coco's, fresh Haddock and some Lobster???

Give a shout when you're coming back for the holidays, maybe we can catch some turns

snoseek

i totally forgot. where are you going to go? mountains that is. how long are you comming back for?

Family is in n.h. and maine so it would be a mix of Sunday River, Cannon, Wildcat, and maybe Saddleback. If for some freakish chance the snow is real good over the holidays then I will end up at more obscure areas like black, mt abram, saddleback ect....., I need to find cheap tickets deals-not easy but I think the Cat is still like 29 each additional day or something like that. Maybe do some touring if there is some decent base too.