• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My New (to me) Ski Car

jaywbigred

Are people colorblind? I have heard this from many people. These plates are yellow and navy. All of the teams I hear mentioned are orange and royal blue.

After 5 hours on the NYS Thruway this weekend, and 8 hours last weekend, I have to say that we commented on there being what seemed like slight variation from plate to plate. Some looked decidedly orange, and others looked more gold. Maybe the car's color plays tricks with your eyes, or maybe there is, in fact, variation. There def. used to be variation in how blue the NJ blue plates were.

dmc

500x_new_ny_plates.jpg

Warp Daddy

Still one fugly AZ color and plate -----------------------------like i've seen the same damn plate NAILED to a guys gasrage wall as a decoration from the DISTANT past .

The plate design is yet another symbol of the same Moribund and antiquated thinking that is currently causing chaos in NYS Government :D:D---------------Damn we need fresh ideas in BOTH instances --OK rant over ....we return u to regular AZ programming

wa-loaf

Still one fugly AZ color and plate -----------------------------like i've seen the same damn plate NAILED to a guys gasrage wall as a decoration from the DISTANT past .

The plate design is yet another symbol of the same Moribund and antiquated thinking that is currently causing chaos in NYS Government :D:D---------------Damn we need fresh ideas in BOTH instances --OK rant over ....we return u to regular AZ programming

Not sure why everyone hates these so much. The design is simple clean and easy to read. The easy to read part being key ...

Better than the lame sunset plates you see out west. Less is more in my book.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Not sure why everyone hates these so much. The design is simple clean and easy to read. .

Agree, but from a color asthetic point of view, it just SHOUTS AT YOU, and color does not blend at all into the body design or most orderable colors for that matter.
I look at old photos from the last time they did this combo, and your eyes go right to the plate.

ctenidae

I kind of like them. I don't want one, mind you, but I kind of like the retro feel.

Of course, a not insubstantial portion of my resistance to switching to CT residency is that I hate the plates and don't want to put one on my car.

jaywbigred

Ok, I'm going to revive this as yet another snow tire thread.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tires I am thinking about:
Blizzak.
Michelin.
Goodyear.
Pirelli.
Firestone Winterforce.

Rims I am thinking about:
Tirerack.
New OEM replicas off ebay.
Used OEMs off Craigslist. Not sure how to verify if they fit.

Shipping on 4 tires from tirerack is $38. Shipping on 4 rims from tirerack is $58. Shipping on 4 rims from ebay is $85. I would be able to pick up the Craigslist rims in person.

My father-in-law-to-be is checking with his tire guy to see if he can beat any of these prices.

What option would you guys go with?

gmcunni

. . . .

i did Blizzacks on steel rims (mounted + balanced) with spiffy set of hub caps shipped direct to me from tirerack. 20 minutes later i had them on and was driving on them.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My only suggestion is that if you have a Bill Me Later account and are considering buying from Tire Rack, see if you're eligible for the cash back program. They're offering 3% back. Just had to buy snows for B's car and a full set of all-weathers for mine. :eek: But it's nice to get 3% back, even if that was only like $12. :lol:

SkiDork

My steel rims are all rusted. Not sure how to prevent that. They look horrible (although they still work)

rocojerry

Tires I am thinking about:
Blizzak.
Michelin.
Goodyear.
Pirelli.
Firestone Winterforce.

Rims I am thinking about:
Tirerack.
New OEM replicas off ebay.
Used OEMs off Craigslist. Not sure how to verify if they fit.

Shipping on 4 tires from tirerack is $38. Shipping on 4 rims from tirerack is $58. Shipping on 4 rims from ebay is $85. I would be able to pick up the Craigslist rims in person.

My father-in-law-to-be is checking with his tire guy to see if he can beat any of these prices.

I went with craigslist rims and Michelin X-Ice (Lattitude's?) on my '96 Pathy....
Just hit 100k miles :) enjoy!

Hawkshot99

Holy crap those rims are expensive! For my winter tire I went Bridgestones on some cheap steel rims from tire rack. This was on my Honda CRV (since sold) and the steel rims were $35-40 and free mounting when I bought the tires from tire rack.

WWF-VT

We have the Firestone Winterforce tires on my wife's Outback. Tires are great for winter conditions - we drive to the MRV every weekend and had no problems. Only comment is that they are not exactly a "quiet" ride.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
If you can live with HARSH mileage...HARSH servicing , and LITTLE capacity in the back?...then it'll be "OK"....owned one once...NEVER again....and the 'net is ABLAZE with people bemoaning the same things......there's a LOT of 4WD stock that'll do head and shoulders better than a Nissan....

I second that opinion! But to each his own!