• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My VT Mini-Tour

twinplanx

Dates:3/17-19/11

AreasMt. Ellen, MRG & Okemo

ConditionsFirm AMs to Spring Bumps/Mashed Potatoes

Report Wanting to take advantage of a guided day at Mt.Ellen(for 17$), I used two mental health days and made plans for a long St.Patrick's weekend. I was able to get in touch w/ a friend in Ludlow and crash there Wednesday night. Packed the car and went to work till 4:30pm on Wednesday, just in time for rush hour traffic:evil: Arrived in Ludlow just after 10pm and started an early St. Pattys celebration w/ my buddy Bruce and his wife.

Well that early celebrating caused a late start for the 1.5 hour drive to ]Mt Ellen. By the time I had booted up and got my ticket it was after 11am. I was still lucky enough to get in touch w/ WWF-VT, a friend of his and rocojerry & his Fiancée(Congrats Jerry) at the top of GMX. We got right down to business and hit the Mt. just about as hard as we could till our legs could stand no more. I did not pay much attention to trail names but the standouts were FIS, Black Diamond and a basically unskied run down a mushy wet Brambles. We also did the obligatory run down Lower FIS but after the brutal traverse at the bottom we avoided repeating that. As mentioned we hit the place hard and w/ the warming temps resulting in sweet mashed potatoes everywhere we were ready willing and able to make an appearance on the deck for some(more) St. Pattys day celebrations. The sun was shinning and it seemed warm enough for for t-shirts(until the sun got blocked). It was a great day on the hill, to say the least. To get a tour was an awesome bonus and for that I must thank WWF-VT who also made a fine recommendation for cheap lodging in the MRV . Thanx again man:wink:

When I first pulled up to the Hostel Tevere, I thought I had made a mistake because the place(even from the outside) seemed just a little to fancy. I was pretty much going on instinct at this point because my phone/lifeline had no internet service. I decided to head up towards MRG and picked up a signal near German Flats Rd. where I confirmed that the fancy looking place near the access road was in fact the place recommended. It was still plenty light out so instead of heading right back to my accommodations I drove another mile or two up the hill to see what was going on at MRG. I had never been there before and was instantly smitten w/ the low-key base/parking area. I knew then that no matter what weather was foretasted that I had made the right choice in pre-purchasing my ticket on Liftopia saving nearly half the cost of the weekday walk up rate.

Rolled back down the hill and checked into the Hostel Tevere. I never knew what to expect when when walking into a Hostel, but if there all like this...sign me up!!! Plunked down my 35$ for the night and was shown my bunk, there were about five time as many beds as people staying there so there was plenty to choose from. Showered up, got dresses and put on a pair of slippers to head downstairs past all the funky artwork and bookshelves to the bar/dinning area complete w/ live music. Got some substance in my belly and began round three of St. Pattys day celebrating :cool: Got to talking to one of the other guests who turned out to be mattchuck(formerly of ADKzone). There was about 6-10 people hanging out in the bar area, some guests some locals. Dinner and a few PBRs cost me 15$. Rounds including an Irish Car Bomb were purchased for me by other happy patrons :cool: Retired to my comfy bed around midnight to catch some rest before the next days introduction to MRG.

Woke up the morning of 3/18 to a big soggy looking cloud hovering over the mountain :cry: Took my time getting dressed and packed up then headed to the hill. Grabbed some coffee and a pastry on the way, booted up in the parking area and got my ticket. Walked right on to the single-chair and as if some one had heard our prayers the skies parted and we were treated to a spectacular bluebird day:-o Eased into it w/ a cruiser down Lynx into Catamount. When they said a blue trail at MRG is like a black just about anywhere else, they weren't lying. If you enjoy skiing bumps/trees you must check this place out!! Not only do there blues ski like blacks, there marked trails rival most glades I have skied. Once again I took little notice of trail names, opting to let there rating point the way. Since this was a solo adventure I took my time and showed myself around. I have heard good things about Paradise, made a point to ski it and was not disappointed. I can only imagine what this place would be like on a real powder day. But fantastic spring conditions are next best and once again the warm temps set up soft, mushy snow through out the place. Took a break for a beer and some fries around 2pm and got back to it. By this time the kids must have been getting home from school creating a line at the single, so I boarded the double and checked out the Birdland area I have also heard about. All in all it was a great introduction to MRG and I was finally able to earn the bumper sticker. In the parking lot I meet one of the other guests from the hostel and we had a beer at his tailgate. (Thanx Bryan from Ohio)

After driving up Rt. 100 north I decided to take 17 west over to Rt. 7 through Rutland and back to Ludlow Friday night. In hindsight I think the Rt. 100 route was quicker... Pulled in to Ludlow just after 7pm and hung out w/ Bruce and his sister for sometime before getting into some leftover Corned Beef Hash :wink: then bed. Bruce's wife works for Okemo and she was kind enough to get me a free ticket for Saturday. I was solo again for this day, my 6th day on skis this season. I spent two entire seasons at Okemo so I know the mountain well. I stared my morning on the South Face until that started to get crowded. The trails were setting up nicely but Forest Bump was a little firm and full of bare spots. I worked my over to the Solitude are via the Narrows/Whistler and found a sweet little skier-cross set up on one of those trails at the bottom end of Whistler. Had a liquid lunch on the deck at Epic(formerly known as Gables) and got back to it heading towards the Jackson Gore side. After two days up north my legs had enough and I was more then ready for a day of hero snow at Okemo. I'm gona go on the record and say it, one of my favorite trails at Okemo is Tuckered Out. I think it used to be a green, but it has so many switch-backs and other areas of skier congestion that it is now a blue. Whatever I find it to be a fun trail. The key to enjoying Okemo is avoiding the lower mountain lifts at all costs. Of course they can not be avoided at the beginning of the day, but otherwise unless you are a beginner you will just be frustrated and wasting time w/ those lifts. Stay high. It has been over five years since I've been back to Okemo and I was having a hard time finding a little place in the woods we would call the "office". I rode up the lift w/ a dude from Park/Pipes and I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I had to ask for directions:cry: . But I was able to locate this special place and it brought back some fond memories:cool:(even if I do not indulge at the current time). After that successful mission I headed to the half-pipe to work on me steeze. I basically ride up as high on the wall as I can and do a little hop turn at the top. I did "pop-out" of the pipe once but I landed on the deck and I do not want to that again:cry: I took three runs through the pipe and called it a day. Had a Guinness at the Sitting Bull where I saw an old friend. And just about knocked over the harmonica player in the band on my way out the door on tired legs in ski boots(sorry Jay)

I had grabbed a cup of coffee from my buddy's house in the AM so I returned that and said Good-bye. Headed south, put the car on the ferry in Bridgeport at about 10pm and had just enough cash for one beer on the boat and was home free. These were days 4, 5, and 6 for me this season. My goal is 10, not a lot by AZ standards but pretty good from where I'm sitting. It was great to get up north and make some turns w/ other AZers. Hoping the snow sticks around a bit longer to get closer to my goal this season, maybe days 7/8?
This is a long ass report and if you have read the whole thing let me know what you think. I can not look at the computer any longer...:fangun:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I always appreciate a walk on the wild side- Looking at the less-than-obvious paths, lodging and local contact is so much better, fills you with many more memories and stories. Great brain dump. Glad you had a blast.

I am surprised by your comment, "...have heard good things about Paradise, made a point to ski it and was not disappointed." Your comment is so understated that it almost sounds like you skied something else! I am greatly surprised you skied it solo. I'd never do it in there.

Everyone has some sort of story to tell. To say it ain't easy would be an understatement. To say it is wild and untamed would be an understatement. To make it down alive is an accomplishment! Tell us more!

WWF-VT

Glad to hear your full trip report and that it worked well for you at Hostel Tevere. Not many skiers take a "warm up" run on FIS at Mt Ellen to start their day ! Be sure to say hello anytime you are in the MRV.

twinplanx

I always appreciate a walk on the wild side- Looking at the less-than-obvious paths, lodging and local contact is so much better, fills you with many more memories and stories. Great brain dump. Glad you had a blast.

I am surprised by your comment, "...have heard good things about Paradise, made a point to ski it and was not disappointed." Your comment is so understated that it almost sounds like you skied something else! I am greatly surprised you skied it solo. I'd never do it in there.

Everyone has some sort of story to tell. To say it ain't easy would be an understatement. To say it is wild and untamed would be an understatement. To make it down alive is an accomplishment! Tell us more!

You are absolutely right Bill. Just maybe the understatement of the year right there. I was just hammering out this report and negleted to expand on my Paradise experience. I'm not sure I can put to words how special this area/trail(Paradise at MRG) really is, but I'll give it a go.

After a short sidestep up off the single chair and through some tight woods past that top shack, one is rewarded with the rightly named Paradise, or what I like to refer to as "Why Are You Still Snowboarding?" To call Paradise a "trail" just does not do it justice. Its more like a "trail-pod" or the greatest glade trail on any other mountain, except its marked as a trail. As noted I did ski it solo, but frequent breaks were needded for the accomplishment. I probally made three to five turns between breaks for better planning/ enjoyment. It was so nice I hit it twice, soft snow setting up spring bumps throughout. This IS what it is all about! If you like skiing trees or pushing into the "slack-country" you owe it to yourself to check this out. If your still snowboarding, quit(or at least brush up on those four-edged skills) and hit up Paradise. To quote Warren Miller "If you don't do it this year, you will only be another year older when you do".

I would definitly love to hit this up on a true powder day. Just hope my nuckel-dragging friends can somehow be converted. It is a long trip for me and I honestly feel like one of the reasons I've never been to MRG before is there no snowboarding policy. Not that I think thats a bad thing, but more of my friends snowboard then ski and it's getting harded and harder to find anyone to run w/ anymore...

SKIQUATTRO

we drove from LI to MRG sat night (got there at 9pm to the slidebrook) hit MRG 830a-330pm all day sunday, lapped Paradise many times (from your write up, dont know if you acutally go to Paradise)

MRG is a special place....tons of snow up there...

twinplanx

we drove from LI to MRG sat night (got there at 9pm to the slidebrook) hit MRG 830a-330pm all day sunday, lapped Paradise many times (from your write up, dont know if you acutally go to Paradise)

You may be right(I may be crazy). After consulting a map it seems I may have not traversed long enough at the top to actually ski the upper portion of Paradise. I think I actually skied Fall Line to the lower part of Paradise... Still, a special place!!!

Last edited:

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Dates:3/17-19/11

. . . . Rolled back down the hill and checked into the Hostel Tevere. I never knew what to expect when when walking into a Hostel, but if there all like this...sign me up!!! Plunked down my 35$ for the night and was shown my bunk, there were about five time as many beds as people staying there so there was plenty to choose from. Showered up, got dresses and put on a pair of slippers to head downstairs past all the funky artwork and bookshelves to the bar/dinning area complete w/ live music. Got some substance in my belly and began round three of St. Pattys day celebrating :cool: Got to talking to one of the other guests who turned out to be mattchuck(formerly of ADKzone). There was about 6-10 people hanging out in the bar area, some guests some locals. Dinner and a few PBRs cost me 15$. Rounds including an Irish Car Bomb were purchased for me by other happy patrons :cool: Retired to my comfy bed around midnight to catch some rest before the next days introduction to MRG. . . :

Good to meet you, twinplanx. MRG and Sugarbush were both skiing pretty great around the time we were there. If anyone's interested in the general look of the place around that time, I got a few pics from MRG on Thursday the 17th:

IMGP0366.JPG

IMGP0376.JPG

IMGP0377.JPG

IMGP0373.JPG

IMGP0379.JPG

Angus

I was skiing at MRG on Sunday too and agree with the snow depth observation but I thought Paradise was pretty marginal - too steep and icy to be much fun. I can definitely see why people rave about it though, I kept thinking the trail would be a blast with corn or powder - did you ski over to the left side - maybe there was more loose snow over there.