• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New to AZ forums and confused about mountain loyalty

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome to the forums!

Some of it is just friendly ribbing, while some other people have real issues. You'll learn quickly who those people are. As noted the crappy weather does not help matters.

Hopefully we can hook up for turns at some point this season.

campgottagopee

Oh great---another CLIT :razz:

Welcome, and don't worry about being confused---confusion is eaten for breakfast around here.

Greg

Staff member
People who read this board from somewhere other than New England probably have these grand images of Sundown being a huge resort on par with Mt Snow and Killington...lol

Well, anyone with half a brain would know it's not. The bottom line is though they provide some fun terrain for advanced skiers down here in the flat lands. And we managed to attract mogul skiers from all over the Northeast last March. That's a pretty big accomplishment for a hill its size. They listen to their clientele and do an excellent job offering terrain for everyone despite limited real estate and vert. So while it's just a small CT hill, I would argue pound for pound, it's among one of the best run ski areas in the Northeast.

SteveInCT

You do. The mighty Sundown! Depending on how close you are to route 8, probably under an hour. Grew up in Trumbull BTW...

Nice! I am right by the Trumbull Mall (can walk there in 5 minutes). A Sundown pass might be hard to justify since I just joined the CSC and have all of those Awareness Days at my disposal to ski for half price. I will go to Sundown quite a few times this winter though.

Madroch

Be very afraid... I returned from a long layoff a couple of years ago... this board and those posting on it have transformed me into a bump and gear whore (is it nature or nurture???).

Hey, I'll take Sundown over nothing every day, and over a lot of other small hills (and some bigger ones as well) most days.

4aprice

I get a pass to a local area, in my case Camelback PA, but I'm not under any illusions that its the greatest place in the world. To me and my family it is similar to the way Greg describes Sundown. It allows us to get out as much as possible. What I find really benefical is that when we travel to Northern New England and out west, which we also do every year, I feel in much better skiing shape and feel my $'s are much better spent. I have to add that I feel fortunate to have Camelback so close

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

SteveInCT

Be very afraid... I returned from a long layoff a couple of years ago... this board and those posting on it have transformed me into a bump and gear whore (is it nature or nurture???).

Hey, I'll take Sundown over nothing every day, and over a lot of other small hills (and some bigger ones as well) most days.

I can see that Madroch! I got my skis ground and waxed a few weeks ago and since then I have been coming on here to lurk. Every day I am looking at the forum posts, weather forecasts, web cams, and press releases for a boatload of mountains in the NE trying to figure out when and where I can go. I have only been back into it for a year and I am already a junkie. The sad part is that I am a golf junkie in the warm weather. Between the two, I think I might be destined to be single for the rest of my life! hahaha

[edit]
Oh.. and.. I agree! Sundown is a great place to ski! It is close and they really keep the terrain in good shape!

gmcunni

I live in Bridgeport (on the Trumbull / Fairfield line -- NOT in the hood). I guess I can understand the pissyness since I was hoping to get some turns in on Saturday and this weather is making it look like it might not happen. I would love to hit the slopes with you and some AZers this winter! One of the reasons I took so much time off is because most of the people I know don't ski. Last winter I was dating a woman who skied and she got me back into it. We are no longer together, but the skiing will remain -- even if that means going solo. Having some AZ friends out there would be a lot more fun!

welcome steve, i'm next door in Monroe. hopefully will get to make some turns with you this winter. mid-week trips up to Ski Sundown are pretty easy from our area.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Welcome Steve

What you are witnessing is not exclusive to this message board. I frequent a music message board and it's fairly common there to see 'your favorite band sucks' comments.

I agree with you 100% that it's beyond lame the way some people are over zealous for their home mountain and put down others for where they ski. It 100% goes against the spirit of the sport IMO.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Welcome Steve! I find that this kind of stuff is jsut human nature. I fish a lot during the warm months and when winter comes those boards get very pissy. Just like what happens here in the late fall and when it sucks during the winter.

I ski 1 mountian 95% fo the time cause I have a pass and kids and a condo right next to the liftt. its much easier than lugging all the kids crap to another mountain.

Now what Mountain would that be, Junior? I would have no idea to even venture a guess:-D;-)

Plus you're right in my neck of the woods...I'm in Southern Westchester as well.

2knees

It is... If you can't handle hard terrain... And want parallel ridge runs all day... which some people enjoy so... cool...

or if you find skiing too hard in general you can just quit and take up snowboarding

Greg

Staff member
or if you find skiing too hard in general you can just quit and take up snowboarding

This thread just got about 50 billion times more interesting... :lol:

frankm938

most of the "my dog is bigger then your dog" stupidity comes from one crowd........

try and guess which crowd that is....

starts with a k and ends with an n.

some kind of complex going on there.

there are plenty of cool people that ski at killington (ive skied there for many years and have made lifelong friends there)
dont lump us in with a couple loudmouths that post here often and just happen to ski at K

2knees

there are plenty of cool people that ski at killington (ive skied there for many years and have made lifelong friends there)
dont lump us in with a couple loudmouths that post here often and just happen to ski at K

ahh, collateral damage. sorry man, i wasnt really directing this at anyone other then highwaystar.