• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New York Yankees

Mike P.

Looking back at it now, like the player's union had to help A-Rod take care of A-Rod & A-Rod's money? That's like taking food from teh hungry to make sure the 400 pound man gets enough to eat!

Thanks to the player's union though, they kept that cancer from the Red Sox & we ended up with a year of Bill Mueller, a title, Youk for a year & that throw in guy from the Marlins. Maybe not the regular season MVP like some of the Fenway faithful wanted but the World Series MVP.

Read the NY Daily news Blog, someone threw Manny's name into the Yankee mix, (Don't remember if that was with A-Rod in the Sox line-up or not - please NO) would that mean Hank, Cashman & the new manger are going to allow dreads?

JimG.

Staff member
Dear A-Rod,

I hate you.

Sincerely,

A former fan.

Seriously though, A-Rod opting out hurt me more than the Sox's seventh World Series victory. I can relate to the Sox fans' passion, even if it pains me. There are no winners in the A-Rod saga. I pulled so hard for that %%@@µ*** and defended him at all times, but I'm left speechless. What a loser.

Hank Steinbrenner doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the room, but he got this right:

"'It's clear he didn't want to be a Yankee,' Hank Steinbrenner told the Daily News last night. 'He doesn't understand the privilege of being a Yankee on a team where the owners are willing to pay $200 million to put a winning product on the field.

'I don't want anybody on my team that doesn't want to be a Yankee.'"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/10/28/2007-10-28_hank_steinbrenner_says_goodbye_to_arod.html?ref=rss

gal_bp_10_29_2007.jpg

Ah...now you see the light.

And that I was right about A-Rod...a loser and an A-Hole.

This guy does not care about winning...only himself. Good riddance!!

And Hank's stance that the Yanks are out of the bidding, if true, makes up a bit for the Torre firing. I don't want A-Hole on this team.

And if Girardi does become the manager, I give Hank another star. As much as I love Mattingly, he's not ready to manage the Yanks.

jack97

Ah...now you see the light.

And that I was right about A-Rod...a loser and an A-Hole.

This guy does not care about winning...only himself. Good riddance!!

And Hank's stance that the Yanks are out of the bidding, if true, makes up a bit for the Torre firing. I don't want A-Hole on this team.

And if Girardi does become the manager, I give Hank another star. As much as I love Mattingly, he's not ready to manage the Yanks.

Damn... I was hoping that the yanks would offer a big extension. That would be the best for the bosox.

Girardi was another smart move, an ex catcher should know how to develop and pace the young arms they have on the staff. Could have been the reason why they wanted Torri out.

FRITOLAYGUY

Damn... I was hoping that the yanks would offer a big extension. That would be the best for the bosox.

Girardi was another smart move, an ex catcher should know how to develop and pace the young arms they have on the staff. Could have been the reason why they wanted Torri out.

Hes touchy when questioned though, he wont like the NY media up in his grill about why did u do this and not this, look it doesnt matter if its him or mattingly or larussa or pinella nobody can handle these egos and media as well as Torre did. Those are tough shoes to follow and its a shame because no matter who it is he wont live up to Torre which maybe why mattigly didnt get it, they would have a hard time firing him after a year or two, not so much with Girardi.

ComeBackMudPuddles

would that mean Hank, Cashman & the new manger are going to allow dreads?

I keep chanting to myself "they have a plan...they have a plan...they have a plan...", but I can't help but worry that the team will go bonkers and overpay for Mo and Posada, sign Bonds, make a push for Lowell, etc.

I, of course, love Mo and Jorge, but at $13 million each three years from now? Makes me wonder.

Lowell is a solid player, but his trends have been down for some time, despite this upward blip in his free agent walk year.

Bonds? :puke:

I think the team won't trade the farm for Santana, since Cashman has tried so hard to put it together for the future, but who knows?

This is going to get interesting....

Or maybe they just play out the string in the old stadium and make a push the following year? No reason to commit huge dollars now for questionable signings when the revenue will be there in 2009.

ComeBackMudPuddles

Hes touchy when questioned though, he wont like the NY media up in his grill about why did u do this and not this

Except that he played for New York and won rings. He knows what it's about. And he'll give the team a spark, an edge. I'd like someone to sometimes put the media in their place.

JimG.

Staff member
Hes touchy when questioned though, he wont like the NY media up in his grill about why did u do this and not this, look it doesnt matter if its him or mattingly or larussa or pinella nobody can handle these egos and media as well as Torre did. Those are tough shoes to follow and its a shame because no matter who it is he wont live up to Torre which maybe why mattigly didnt get it, they would have a hard time firing him after a year or two, not so much with Girardi.

Rational thinking.

And if they do win it in the next 2 years they can claim they were geniuses to hire Joe.

FRITOLAYGUY

Rational thinking.

And if they do win it in the next 2 years they can claim they were geniuses to hire Joe.

Hey its just what ive been hearing, ya he won as a Yankee but he was never a star player, now all the decisions are on him, and he has never been seconed guessed like he will now when something goes wrong. He wont be told good job when they win 8in a row because they are expected too. I may be totally wrong with everyone else, afterall we were all wrong about Joe Torre right?

Mike P.

Some interesting stats on the new manager as a player. I believe soemone in the front office said he was a champion caliber player. What I heard on Mike & the Mad Dog yesterday

114 AB and an average of .184. one or maybe two RBI's which puts him in the same ballpark as Dice K & & probably A-Rod if you include the blowout game 3 in the 2004 ALCS.

Honestly, I think he's a hard worker & will work out, Cashman's ability to get the 'right" "TEAM" players will have a bigger determination on where they finish then the manager will.

ComeBackMudPuddles

I don't get this talk about a star player being a better manager than an average or below-average player. Is Mattingly inherently a better manager than Girardi because he was a better player? No, not at all. They are two completely different skill sets.

Girardi has impressed people throughout baseball, both on and off the field, with his smarts, his hard work, his communication skills and his ability to act independently. He's a team player and looks after his players first. He's an excellent choice. He'll bring a hard-nosed, team-oriented and honest style of play. I'm looking forward to seeing him take control of the team.

ComeBackMudPuddles

I agree...Tory was no superstar in his day.

We agree, but I think you're being a little harsh on Torre. He was probably just short of being a borderline Hall of Famer as a player....

• 9-time All Star
  • 1971 MVP (led league in hits and RBI)
  • 2,342 hits
  • 1,185 RBI
  • 252 home runs

BeanoNYC

Funny how the Sox won and all anyone talks about is the Yankees.

You included.

That's my biggest gripe with Sox fans. Many would rather route against the Yanks than route for their own team. I guess I was wrong when I thought this would all end after the Sox won in '04, but it's still business as usual...even after the championship this year.

JimG.

Staff member
That's my biggest gripe with Sox fans. Many would rather route against the Yanks than route for their own team. I guess I was wrong when I thought this would all end after the Sox won in '04, but it's still business as usual...even after the championship this year.

Why does this bother you?

It's one of the best parts of this rivalry.

To me, it seems there is a big fear there for them to be so focused on the opponent.

Change is good...suddenly the Yanks are an unknown, but still clearly dangerous.

The Sox are the kings of this millenium, ask any Sox fan. They've won 2. Yanks 0. Role reversal. Fun.

BeanoNYC

Why does this bother you?

It's one of the best parts of this rivalry.

Because it's dumb. There are more Yankee haters than true Sox fans in New England. I don't mind having an intelligent conversation about baseball with a true Sox fan. In fact, I enjoy and welcome it. It's the blind yankee haters that know shit about baseball that annoy me. They wouldn't even be able to name 4 players on the Sox roster.

JimG.

Staff member
Because it's dumb. There are more Yankee haters than true Sox fans in New England. I don't mind having an intelligent conversation about baseball with a true Sox fan. In fact, I enjoy and welcome it. It's the blind yankee haters that know shit about baseball that annoy me. They wouldn't even be able to name 4 players on the Sox roster.

Meh...I don't even listen to those types of fans. Who cares what a non-baseball fan thinks?

Blind is blind...and there are more important reasons why people hate other people for you to be concerned with.

FRITOLAYGUY

Funny how the Sox won and all anyone talks about is the Yankees.

You included.

Well theres nothing left to talk about with the Sox, ohhh ok Schilling got a 1yr deal and we will probably resign lowell, there ya go thats about it. Any baseball fan of any team is fascinated with the Yankees and their issues, and why they cant win anymore with spending as much as the redsox. It is part of the rivalry and the fact we are on even ground for id say the last 8yrs or so makes it all that much better in my eyes.

Mike P.

Why are Sox fans like me here? Because everyone loves a train wreck. Britney grew up in a trailer so her coming unglued (or Anna Nicole) should be expected.

Baseball's bluebloods - are falling.

The subprime mess is interesting too, feel bad about the homeowners but when MBA types sell people things they can't afford (should expect them to default) & then bundle them all up & buy them thinking they will earn a high rate of return (better than safe choices) because the paper it's written on says they will with no consideration that you can't get blood from a stone or this should not be a surprised. My 7 year old understands it.

an annual income of $30K should not own a $500,000 home if they can barely make ends meet at thr intro rate how can they afford the uptick? (the plan was to ride the increase in property value so you could sell before the new rate - they weren't suppose to pay the higher rate in a good market & they default in a bad market)

Now back to sports. Pat's fans are not bashing the Pat's & everything in going great. Well everything is going great (Re-sign Lowell!) in Fenway (knock, knock) so all you anyone could do is bash them last years 2nd highest payroll who knows may be first without A-Rod or Andy in pinstripes this year)

Last edited: