• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NFL 2009 thread

deadheadskier

Staff member
and we're off.

Impressions so far?

Watched a bit of the Steelers / Titans game on Thursday, I flipped between the Vikings/Browns and Jets/Texans games and then checked out the Bears/Packers game at night.

Steelers won ugly. I think on paper they're the best team in the AFC. That said, Big Ben needs to get rid of the football quicker. He takes way too many hits.

Titans I was surprised that their run D is still so dominant despite losing Big Al to the skins.

Vikings will be tough. Great situation for Favre as he's not going to have to do much. I think they're the team to beat in the NFC.

The Browns aren't going to be as bad as people think as I think Brady Quinn is a legit starter.

Great start for the Sanchez era in NY. First rookie quarterback to win first away game since Weinke in 2001...or at least that's what the TV said. It's just one game, but I like his fire. Texans...a lot of people have them in the playoffs. I still think they lack that 'something'.

NFC north is division known for it's defense. This year will be no different. Both the Bears and Packers D look stout.

Pumped for the Pats game tonight

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Yeah, the Jets looked good. Real Good.

I have realized that I suck at Fantasy Football. Reggie Bush apparently has absolutely no fantasy value whatsoever. When Pierre Thomas went down, I thought they'd use Bush as the RB, but I guess they thought Mike Bell would be better (and he clearly was). Now I want to Drop Bush, but there's no one available (already put a waiver claim on Cadillac).

Grassi21

Yeah, the Jets looked good. Real Good.

I have realized that I suck at Fantasy Football. Reggie Bush apparently has absolutely no fantasy value whatsoever. When Pierre Thomas went down, I thought they'd use Bush as the RB, but I guess they thought Mike Bell would be better (and he clearly was). Now I want to Drop Bush, but there's no one available (already put a waiver claim on Cadillac).

I had Bush last season. When he wasn't hurt he put up big numbers. They use him in so many ways that you never know when he is going to break one off.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have Bush as well. He's not a starting RB for me. I have Jones Drew and McFadden as starting RBs.

I put Bush in as my 4th wide out because of his versatility.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How bad is the traffic at the stadium these days? I haven't been to a game or Foxboro for that matter since pre-Gillete.

Does it still take HOURS to get out of the parking lot after the game?

Beetlenut

...Steelers won ugly. I think on paper they're the best team in the AFC. That said, Big Ben needs to get rid of the football quicker. He takes way too many hits...Pumped for the Pats game tonight

Wow, some Pats fan you are! They haven't even played yet, and you've anointed the Steelers the best team in the AFC! If you ask me, the Steelers have been exposed. To beat them = Shut down the run, blitz every play, put-up 14 points! And now Troy is out a few games! Luckly they have the fourth easiest schedule.

4aprice

and we're off.

Great start for the Sanchez era in NY. First rookie quarterback to win first away game since Weinke in 2001...or at least that's what the TV said. It's just one game, but I like his fire. Texans...a lot of people have them in the playoffs. I still think they lack that 'something'.

I'll be listening for the thud next week when the Patroits kill us. Like the kid but still think it's gonna be a long season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wow, some Pats fan you are! They haven't even played yet, and you've anointed the Steelers the best team in the AFC! If you ask me, the Steelers have been exposed. To beat them = Shut down the run, blitz every play, put-up 14 points! And now Troy is out a few games! Luckly they have the fourth easiest schedule.

I said 'on paper'. I would list NE 2nd in the AFC 'on paper'.

The Steelers have 20 of 22 starters returning from SB championship team. New England has many more questions. I'm as big of a Patriots fan as you'll find, but I'm not a homer.

I don't think one game exposes anything in the NFL. I think the Steelers will make adjustments on the line to give Ben more time. The bigger problem is with Ben himself. He's a lot like Favre in that he takes unnecessary hits by trying to force plays to happen that aren't there. Sometimes, throwing the ball away is the best play. I'd be drilling that into his head if I were Steelers coach.

Ultimately, teams at the end of the season are vastly different than the beginning. It's a very fluid game/league. Just look at the Pats of two seasons ago. No one could touch Brady for 18 games and he put up the greatest offensive numbers of all time. He got killed in the Superbowl by a Giants team that peaked at the right time.

HD333

How bad is the traffic at the stadium these days? I haven't been to a game or Foxboro for that matter since pre-Gillete.

Does it still take HOURS to get out of the parking lot after the game?

Traffic sucks going in once you hit rte 1. But it is what it is and beinf in a car on the way to gillette is better then being in the office. Leaving all depends on how you time it. Having had season tickets for over a decade I am not much of a need to see every second of the game guy so we usually leave when the game has been decided and we get out OK. Close games, your looking at an hour or more leaving the lot, at that point it is better to fire the grill back up and let things move.

GO PATS!

HD

Beetlenut

I said 'on paper'. I would list NE 2nd in the AFC 'on paper'.

The Steelers have 20 of 22 starters returning from SB championship team. New England has many more questions. I'm as big of a Patriots fan as you'll find, but I'm not a homer.

I don't think one game exposes anything in the NFL. I think the Steelers will make adjustments on the line to give Ben more time. The bigger problem is with Ben himself. He's a lot like Favre in that he takes unnecessary hits by trying to force plays to happen that aren't there. Sometimes, throwing the ball away is the best play. I'd be drilling that into his head if I were Steelers coach.

Ultimately, teams at the end of the season are vastly different than the beginning. It's a very fluid game/league. Just look at the Pats of two seasons ago. No one could touch Brady for 18 games and he put up the greatest offensive numbers of all time. He got killed in the Superbowl by a Giants team that peaked at the right time.

Just kidding! But I do think one game exposes the defending Superbowl champs. and here's why. They have several rookies on the O-line who are starting. Good Defensive Coordinators are going to try and exploit that fact and scheme accordingly. Add to that Big Ben's panache to hold on to the ball and extend plays, and it's only going to compound the rookies jobs. I think their running game is also going to take awhile to gel, as they lost some good Guards, one of which (Kendall Simmons) will be opening up holes for Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris this year for the Pats! I think by the end of the season the rookies will be playing good ball, but how many games will it cost them to get to that point? I think at this point they're looking up at Baltimore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
not looking good for the Pats

Thomas sack call on slamming Edwards.....guess that's the rule, but a defensive player isn't going to 'think' about how he takes a player down.

hoping for a miracle. if not. hopefully getting smacked in the mouth motivates the team.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
What an ending, what a come back! That was a great game to watch.... alright, most of it not so much if you're cheering for the Patriots! Last five minutes were awesome!

That's an exciting way to start the season!

ERJ-145CA

I'll be listening for the thud next week when the Patroits kill us. Like the kid but still think it's gonna be a long season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I'm going to that game next week, I can't wait. J.E.T.S. Jets! Jets! Jets! Hopefully the Jets pull it off, I'm going with the wife who is a Pats fan so it will be fun taunting each other at the game. I hope I get the last taunt but I usually don't.

drjeff

I'm going to that game next week, I can't wait. J.E.T.S. Jets! Jets! Jets! Hopefully the Jets pull it off, I'm going with the wife who is a Pats fan so it will be fun taunting each other at the game. I hope I get the last taunt but I usually don't.

I'd bet that if she leaves the game happy next Sunday that you'll have a better chance of being "happy" Sunday night ;)

I'd look for the Pats to try and stretch the field a bit more next week than last night. Gotta get Moss + Welker to spread the d better to open up Watson and company short over the middle and also create some space for Faulk + Maroney. My guess is the last 2 series last night really did a bunch to get Brady feeling like his pre injury self.

One things for certain though next Sunday, I'd bet that the obligatory post game coaches handshake willl be much more cordial than the last couple of years post game Pats/Jets coaches handshake ;)