• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Norwich 12-15-08

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Skied out back today on the Alpinas. Got warm enough so the crust disappeared. The snow was heavy and wet, but it's so warm, I had no problems with stickage. The top inch or two was very granulated almost like rotten corn snow, the stuff underneath was compacted slightly, but overall it skied nicely and was faster then I thought it would be. My old dog came along. He made it 3/4 of the way up before he was showing signs of his age. We dropped in and came out on the lift line about 3/4 of the way up, just below the mini-headwall. We crossed the liftline and dropped into a DH MTB trail in the woods skiers left of lift line. Popped out on lift line at the bottom of the next pitch. Thought about hitting the gap jump they have built off of one of the old tower footings. It's about 10 feet out by 10 feet down. I decided I needed a little booter at the lip and didn't want to take the time to build it. Skiied the rest of lift line until it flattened out. I had to wait on the old dog here for a few minutes. When he came into view, he wa GALLOPING down my track with a big grin. Every once in a whiel his back legs would start to drag out behind him but he didn't really care. Running down the hill grabbing mouthfuls of snow every once in a while. Snow get's him pretty jazzed up. From here we hit another DH MTB trail accross the filed the has just enough pitch to glide along, then it steepens up again for a short way, then hits a nice 3 foot high berm. Rocked the berm in a deep tele and stopped to wait for the dog again. Then we went off the bike trail, down the fall line into a nice little woods shot we (the dog and I) cleaned out this fall. About 4 turns thru some maples with good pitch, accross an open flat, and out onto an old logging skidder path that drops another 3 turns and shoots you directly onto the trail we use to get up into the ski area from the end of our road. I call it Home Run. It was sweet. First time I've ever hit it, AND the first official trees of the season. Couldn't be more stoked right now. We had a blast and scored the virgin Home Run.
Now, Beer.
http://www.nelsap.org/vt/norwich.html
we went up tally ho and down bull run.
norwichtm.jpg

Last edited:

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Lost some today, but still a good base. It will freeze tonight. If we get 6 new by wednesday it will be a blast.