• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nutty Rituals

4aprice

During my recent trip to Mount Snow I boarded the Canyon Express and looked over to my right to discover a good old fashioned rope tow. My wife thought I was out of my mind when I told her I had to go ride it for old time sake, and I did. A quick trip back to my youth. Anybody else do nutty things like this?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dmc

As quaint as they are... I have no intention of riding an old rope tow...
I'm more of a new lift guy...

drjeff

During my recent trip to Mount Snow I boarded the Canyon Express and looked over to my right to discover a good old fashioned rope tow. My wife thought I was out of my mind when I told her I had to go ride it for old time sake, and I did. A quick trip back to my youth. Anybody else do nutty things like this?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

My daughter will usually try and grab a quick ride on that rope tow after pick up from her lessons about a few times a season (including this past Saturday where after riding it, her response to me was "Daddy I forgot how tough it was to hang onto the rope!" ;) )

As much as I rode many a rope tow across New England in my youth and have fond memories of them, I also remember trashing the palms of more than a few pairs of gloves from letting the rope slide through my hands before I finally grabbed on :eek: :rolleyes: :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ward Hill had one growing up that was wicked fast. I'd ride it again given the opportunity

dmc

As much as I rode many a rope tow across New England in my youth and have fond memories of them, I also remember trashing the palms of more than a few pairs of gloves from letting the rope slide through my hands before I finally grabbed on :eek: :rolleyes: :)

Probably why I didn't ski until I was a teenager after my first time in Ohio.. I trashed my gloves on the rope tow and my Mom was super pissed....

playoutside

I was skiing at Nashoba last night with a friend and his 13yo son. The son started heading towards a rope tow and his dad said..."we don't want to use that and besides I'm not sure you know how" The 13yo says "sure I do, that's the kind with the disk isn't it?" He meant a Poma, I described a rope tow as the tow that tears your gloves to shreds. Then I thought about heading over for the ritual of it and to show him how much "fun" it is...then I looked at my gloves and thought no way, I like these gloves!

So, I guess no to rope tow sort of rituals, but I'm a sucker for a t-bar!

reefer

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

that is nutty.................
no way for me. To many flashbacks of torn gloves, tripping over the person that fell before you, etc........
Last time I was on a Surface Lift was the T-bar at Sugarloaf because everthing else was wind hold. Those three rides up almost killed me!

Warp Daddy

Nope only used a surface lift TWICE and hate T bars as a result . I used to herringbone up many bc areas in the Northern Dacks and Laurentians when i XC skied for 20 yrs, SO now i'm spoiled and ONLY ride lifts :D:D

HD333

How about the rawhide things that strapped to your gloves so the gloves wouldn't get worn out.

Used to love the Jericho rope tow and the T-Bar for that matter.

HD

Smellytele

The ones I have seen most recently all have the handles on them. Poma disc lifts are always fun too. Fun too watch others try to get on them that is.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They've still got one with the handles for the learning area.

1st lift I ever went on.

Back in the day, they had from right to left looking up the 'mountain' a double, the handle tow, T Bar and then to the far left a rope tow.