• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nys

Upped there taxes on smokes by a $1.25 per pack. What a crock. Those sons on beatches need to figure out there financial crisis in other way than taxing smokes. If they were using the money for cancer research then you may be able to sell me on it. Heck if they took the tax money from all the smokes sold and put that into research there would be a solution by now.

Its a cheap low blow to smokers.

Screw that..cigs should be $50 a pack...due to how much smokers cost society in terms of healthcare..you should see all the tombstones we make for smokers who die before their time for smoking..

Make Cigarettes illegal and weed legal..

You can also buy a tin of Tobacco and roll your own..

Shit even at 10 bucks a pack..thats only 50 cents a cigarette..pretty cheap in my opinion..

deadheadskier

Staff member
Screw that..cigs should be $50 a pack...due to how much smokers cost society in terms of healthcare..you should see all the tombstones we make for smokers who die before their time for smoking..

While I wont disagree with you in regards to how much smokers cost society due to the strain they put on the health care system; with that logic, Big Macs should cost $25 a sandwich. Obesity is equally as bad of a problem.

Greg

Staff member
I fight the battle with cigarettes constantly. I semi-quit, start again, quit, start, stop. I cant give it up entirely. it sucks really. Especially when i consider i didnt even start till i was 21 years old. most people it seems, if they made it through college never really picked up the habit. I made it through my college years and then started. oh well......

Quit for your kids, man. I smoked before, during and after college. My wife actually smoked more than me early in our marriage which made it difficult for me to fully quit (I would take a few drags off her smokes). She decided to quit about a year before we planned to have kids. I could never imagine smoking now. It's been so long, I'd probably cough like a maniac and get dizzy after a few drags.

The bottom line is I really enjoy life too much to risk it getting cut short for something so unhealthy. It's one of the main reason I don't smoke anything anymore. Anyone that thinks pot smoke is not bad for you is delusional. I'm not a total health nut though - I still enjoy getting my drink on and while I'm not an unhealthy eater, I don't over analyze what I'm eating. I don't have much of a problem with people who smoke though. Totally their choice and the smell doesn't really bother me, unless it's indoors.

deadheadskier

Staff member
the smell doesn't really bother me, unless it's indoors.

That's something I completely agree with. I really don't understand how some people choose to smoke in their homes. My gf's father and step mother are both heavy smokers and smoke in their small house despite the fact that her step brother lives there and has severe asthma. :angry:

I had zero issues when states started making it illegal to smoke inside. I've got no issues going outside to smoke at all.

tjf67

The amount of taxes that are paid on smokes more than offsets the increase in healthcare, Off course I have no info to back that up but I dont think I am off in my thinking.
Weed should be legal and they could tax the heck out of it and get off the tobacco bandwagon.

Along your line of thinking fat people should be taxed. That fatter you are the more tax you should pay. Pay up fatso

ComeBackMudPuddles

While I wont disagree with you in regards to how much smokers cost society due to the strain they put on the health care system; with that logic, Big Macs should cost $25 a sandwich. Obesity is equally as bad of a problem.

I'd be fine with that. They're both harmful products (though Big Macs aren't addictive, so I don't think the tax should be more than the tax on smokes). The high prices are tough on addicts, I mean, smokers, but hopefully they keep at least some kids from picking up the addiction, I mean, habit.

To me, the real scandal is that governments tolerate the production and sale of cigarettes at all. Name another product that kills 50% of its users! The government is too hooked on taxes generated by the product to outright ban it.

Yes, I'm an angry ex-smoker....

:flame:

wa-loaf

That's something I completely agree with. I really don't understand how some people choose to smoke in their homes. My gf's father and step mother are both heavy smokers and smoke in their small house despite the fact that her step brother lives there and has severe asthma. :angry:

Or people smoke in cars with the windows closed and little kids it the back. :roll:

I had zero issues when states started making it illegal to smoke inside. I've got no issues going outside to smoke at all.

Negotiating the smoker gauntlet getting in and out of the office kinda sucks. :evil:

ComeBackMudPuddles

Anyone that thinks pot smoke is not bad for you is delusional.

I'm no pot head, but I don't think that the smoke from weed has the same carcinogens like cigarette smoke (though I could be wrong).

Maybe someone from the Grateful Dead thread could chime in on this point?

wa-loaf

Along your line of thinking fat people should be taxed. That fatter you are the more tax you should pay. Pay up fatso

Sure, they have more healthcare costs that are avoidable, they should pay more for their health premiums.

wa-loaf

I'm no pot head, but I don't think that the smoke from weed has the same carcinogens like cigarette smoke (though I could be wrong).

Smoke in your lungs is not good for them. Have you ever look at the water in a bong? Not exactly healthy looking.

That said there is no amonia and what not that is created in making cigarettes.

tjf67

Sure, they have more healthcare costs that are avoidable, they should pay more for their health premiums.

Smokers pay more for there health premium but it does not stop there. There should be a scale at every establishment that distributes food. you get on the scale and they tax you on your weight. Fat people would be up in arms.

Greg

Staff member

Smoke in your lungs is not good for them. Have you ever look at the water in a bong? Not exactly healthy looking.

That said there is no amonia and what not that is created in making cigarettes.

I don't know the specifics of the unhealthiness. All I know is that I've coughed enough in the past to know that what I was inhaling wasn't liked by my lungs.

ComeBackMudPuddles

You can spin the stats anyway you want to say whatever you want. Do you have numbers?

If you wanted to start drawing connections booze could be argued just as destructive.

Yes.....Read this article from the CDC. A brief snip:

"Smoking harms nearly every organ of the body; causing many diseases and reducing the health of smokers in general. The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for an estimated 438,000 deaths, or nearly 1 of every 5 deaths, each year in the United States. More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined. [. . .] Smoking causes about 90% of lung cancer deaths in men and almost 80% of lung cancer deaths in women. The risk of dying from lung cancer is more than 23 times higher among men who smoke cigarettes, and about 13 times higher among women who smoke cigarettes compared with never smokers."

2knees

smoking with kids in the car, house, building etc should be totally illegal.

Quitting for the kids is the line my wife drops on me every single time she knows i've had a cigarette. One tiny side benefit to having children is that i really dont smoke at all on the weekends until they've gone to bed. Work is my biggest crime scene. For whatever reason, my office still has a large contingent of smokers and its hard to break away from it. I think if i could get through the work day, that would be a huge part of the battle.

Moe Ghoul

Smoking indoors is obscene, unless you live alone. Nothing like getting out of a shower and drying off with a towel that smells like an ashtray. We stopped smoking in the house 10 years ago, and my wife quit smoking 4 years ago. I don't mind going outside to smoke, I enjoy it. It's amazing how foul a home can get with smokers inside. It permeates EVERYTHING. One thing I know, is I rarely go out to bars anymore due to DUI laws and nonsmoking bars. Call me whacked, but I like a cloud of blue smoke in my bar and the whole Casablanca romanticism around that.