• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo 2/6

2knees

First trip there since i attended Castleton in the early 90's. Abbreviated report due to a serious stomach bug that caught me about an hour after getting there and hung with me in various degrees for the day. ( I wont get into details) Anyway, bluebird day, inversion actually in the morning. 38 at the top at 8:30 and 32 at the bottom. As anyone who has skied there would know, but was new to me, they seed their bumps. Or man make them or whatever the correct term is. I got killed for this on Kzone. Everything that was groomed was seemingly very similar. Skied Sel's choice first run, which was a seeded bumper but sun hadnt had enough time on it and was quite scratchy in between. Took the summit lift and headed to the glades area. Rimrock to punchline was the run of the day with awesome bumps on punchline. Facing southeast, they softened early. Not exactly steep enough with the soft conditions but extemely fun to say the least. Stayed there for the morning until my stomach got the best of me. Boarder with me said the terrain park on Nor' Easter was sick. They have a 1/4 pipe at the bottom which was definetly interesting. Managed to get off the canvas and skied ledges, again seeded bump run. Nice line but a little more spaced out than punchline which i immediatiely headed back to. One thing that really struck me was the absolute lack of true steeps that they have to offer. Granted, I never made it to Jackson Gore, nor were their 1 or 2 so called double diamonds open, but nothing really struck me as even remotely hairy. BUT, all in all, if you like to spend a day, cheating almost, those bumps are quite fun. Again, on a day that soft, with lines that perfect, i would've loved a lot more pitch but all in all it was a fun day skiing. Not challenging, but fun and that is all you can ask for.

Greg

Staff member
2knees said:
...they seed their bumps. Or man make them or whatever the correct term is. I got killed for this on Kzone.
I've heard both terms, manmade moguls or seeded bumps. Both are fine around here. We get the point... :wink: