• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Opening Day 10/11 Predictions

gmcunni

Ski Sundown - Nov 20

Killington - Nov 11

:snow::snow::snow::snow:

i have to revise this due to the construction of the previously unannouced killington walkway...

sticking with Sundown on Nov 20. Due to early cold conditions and a little help from mother nature they will open in advance of Thanksgiving this year.

Killington - October 14

The Sneak

In 1997, Sugarloaf opened around October 23. I know - I was there. I think I posted this once before, but I was a sophmore at Umaine-Farmington and my roommate and I were on one of the first chairs. Fox 51 portland was there. I don't remember if double runner was running or if we walked up, but spillway short side was running and spillway itself was open at about 50% width. Guns were blazing for the duration.

We took about 5 runs and then walked down Boardwalk back to the base. I actually have photos of this somewhere. I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

I was on 197cm Rossi 4SVs at the time (they were my rock skis).

My only point is that the loaf could in theory pull off a very early opening depending on the weather. It snow on sept 30 that year, flurries on the mountain but still..

cannonist

Would it not be an interesting move for boyne to open Loon? Loon has the proximity that could draw from Boston. Having said that I believe Bretton Woods could be the first to open. I don't think they would ever do it though.

millerm277

Hunter - November 19th. - They always seem to go for about a week before Thanksgiving if the have the temps.

mondeo

i have to revise this due to the construction of the previously unannouced killington walkway...

sticking with Sundown on Nov 20. Due to early cold conditions and a little help from mother nature they will open in advance of Thanksgiving this year.

Killington - October 14
October 14th's a Thursday. I'm going with the 16th.

Need to start planning my Halloween costume.

gmcunni

October 14th's a Thursday. I'm going with the 16th.

Need to start planning my Halloween costume.

yeah, they will open mid week with a few trials while they are still blowing snow on the rest and then have more for the weekend.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Would it not be an interesting move for boyne to open Loon? Loon has the proximity that could draw from Boston. Having said that I believe Bretton Woods could be the first to open. I don't think they would ever do it though.
I am not sure of the exact elevation but I think T2 has the base of Loon beat. Loon has never participated in the early to open game in the last ten years (don't know about before that). Loon is actually pretty slow to open up, IMO, for a major resort. Waterville has the best NH option with their summit double. I don't see Loon going for it. Their lift setup is not conducive to early opening as they would need to blow and maintain a lot of snow to connect everything (assuming the base area is too warm to open early and they would need to upload the gondi).

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I had to guess, I'd put T2 at around 23-400 feet. I think Locke's elevation is around 3100. Can't be much higher than that.

icedtea

It kinda sucked driving across from Killington to ski Sunday River on Thanksgiving. I don't mind doing it in October but to do it at the end of November with less skiing isn't my idea of a good start to the season.

Hiked K last Thanksgiving... there was a good amount of snow all over the mountain, definitely could have opened if "they" felt like it.

sLoPeS

Hiked K last Thanksgiving... there was a good amount of snow all over the mountain, definitely could have opened if "they" felt like it.

yea some pretty deep drifts out there. first good pow runs of the season. i was a little late to work that day....:cool:

Opening Day Predictions:

Killington - 10/22/10 (soft friday opening, please)

icedtea

yea some pretty deep drifts out there. first good pow runs of the season. i was a little late to work that day....:cool:

Opening Day Predictions:

Killington - 10/22/10 (soft friday opening, please)

What are you thinking, if there is no need to open Lower Bunny a certain October opening?

sLoPeS

11045_575272058249_22802089_33637179_4839880_n.jpg

jerryg

If K doesn't finish the catwalk, SR will open first again, and may still do so. SK doesn't seem to like to lose.

I would think that if SL was closer to population, they could upload folks on the Superquad and have skiing off the Timberline Quad with downloading on th SQ.