• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Peak Skis

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
In the thread titled "Your 2022-23 Ski Season Thread"

I said:
"I am very happy to report that my free skis arrived today from Peak Ski Company for having the documentation that I skied over 3M vert. ft. last season. I will report how they handle in a few months.

I also want to thank Tonyr again for letting me know about the Peak Ski promotion."

----

Here is my report. (No one at Peak Skis asked me for an endorsement when they gave them to me. But here is one!)

I used them (the "Peak 104"s) today at Okemo for the first time. It might be the best ski I ever skied on. Wonderful grip on hardpack, smooth carve and very stable ride. A couple of runs had a lot of death cookies and the skis cut right through them, albeit with some "rattling of my fillings." Moguls were hard to come by, but on the few I did find, they responded well. Perhaps the most used skill for a Patrolman is sideslipping and they behaved perfectly with little effort on my part.

If you have a chance to demo a pair, you'll probably like them.

Cobbold

In the thread titled "Your 2022-23 Ski Season Thread"

I said:
"I am very happy to report that my free skis arrived today from Peak Ski Company for having the documentation that I skied over 3M vert. ft. last season. I will report how they handle in a few months.

I also want to thank Tonyr again for letting me know about the Peak Ski promotion."

----

Here is my report. (No one at Peak Skis asked me for an endorsement when they gave them to me. But here is one!)

I used them (the "Peak 104"s) today at Okemo for the first time. It might be the best ski I ever skied on. Wonderful grip on hardpack, smooth carve and very stable ride. A couple of runs had a lot of death cookies and the skis cut right through them, albeit with some "rattling of my fillings." Moguls were hard to come by, but on the few I did find, they responded well. Perhaps the most used skill for a Patrolman is sideslipping and they behaved perfectly with little effort on my part.

If you have a chance to demo a pair, you'll probably like them.
How do the peak skis compare to your other skis in your quiver?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
How do the peak skis compare to your other skis in your quiver?
Good question. The ski that I use that has the most similarity to the Peak 104s are my Volkl Mantras. I find the 104s superior tracking the terrain giving them greater stability and a smoother ride, although the Mantras have a lot of mileage on them and may have behaved better 1000 miles ago.

My other skis, Atomic Nomads and a number of similar models that I like all behave well, but even freshly sharpened don't do as well as 104s on icier surfaces. I couldn't find much crud to test the 104s on, but in the few places I did, the extra width kept the 104s above the crud rather than sinking into it.

I rarely get new skis because I like to ski woods and thin cover and if I trash a couple of pairs in a season, no big deal. Perhaps if I got new skis regularly, I'd be less impressed with the 104s.

jimk

Good question. The ski that I use that has the most similarity to the Peak 104s are my Volkl Mantras. I find the 104s superior tracking the terrain giving them greater stability and a smoother ride, although the Mantras have a lot of mileage on them and may have behaved better 1000 miles ago.

My other skis, Atomic Nomads and a number of similar models that I like all behave well, but even freshly sharpened don't do as well as 104s on icier surfaces. I couldn't find much crud to test the 104s on, but in the few places I did, the extra width kept the 104s above the crud rather than sinking into it.

I rarely get new skis because I like to ski woods and thin cover and if I trash a couple of pairs in a season, no big deal. Perhaps if I got new skis regularly, I'd be less impressed with the 104s.
You sound like the perfect guy to be awarded these. You should send Peak a little love note at the end of this season telling them of your assessment of the skis. And for 3mil more vert feet maybe you can get another pair next year.

thebigo

Joshua, saw you from the lift with your trademark hat multiple times on Thursday. Could not seem to time up a ride/run. Saw you again on the walk to the lot while I was shuffling kids. Hopefully catch up some other time, been a number of years.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Joshua, saw you from the lift with your trademark hat multiple times on Thursday. Could not seem to time up a ride/run. Saw you again on the walk to the lot while I was shuffling kids. Hopefully catch up some other time, been a number of years.
I actually was at Okemo all day Thursday, but when I got home, I needed to talk to one of the patrolmen at the top shack. So, I did go out on CM about 5:30 PM for a few runs, which must have been when you saw me.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I gave strong consideration to the Peak 104 when I bought my Volkl M102 this summer. Ultimately decided on the M102 as I liked the dimensions a little bit better. I also wanted to wait until I knew a few people spend a season on the Peaks, where as Volkl is a brand I trust. I have friend who bought the 98 and he loves them so far

Cool story. Glad you like them!

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I gave strong consideration to the Peak 104 when I bought my Volkl M102 this summer. Ultimately decided on the M102 as I liked the dimensions a little bit better. I also wanted to wait until I knew a few people spend a season on the Peaks, where as Volkl is a brand I trust. I have friend who bought the 98 and he loves them so far

Cool story. Glad you like them!
I'm sure the M102s will give you a great ride.

Each of us brings a set of skills to the table and mixes them to make the best runs. I'm a big believer in mixing my skills to adapt to a different ski, rather than seeking out a ski that most conveniently matches my preferred use of the skills. And that's why I use about 6 different pairs of skis over the course of any season. It adds a different kind of challenge to the sport. (That being said, it's been a while since I used a "straight ski".)

BodeMiller1

Agree, I adjust to the ski. Started with bear trap bindings and leather tie boots.The skis had metal edges.then: You have to ski what's for sale and keep up with technology. 😳
Rossi Smash Jrs
Strato 105
ST Comps
Fischer Carv...
Atomic Race 8 - Favorite they don't perform til you're going 40
Atomic High Noon

Now I'm in the Market for GS skis.
You can get anything to float In Powder. You can't get all skis to hold an edge on ice.🌲

Goal. Stiff GS and a shorter lighter setup for trees.
Lange Blue Boots💦

BodeMiller1

Agree, I adjust to the ski. Started with bear trap bindings and leather tie boots.The skis had metal edges.then: You have to ski what's for sale and keep up with technology. 😳
Rossi Smash Jrs
Strato 105
ST Comps
Fischer Carv...
Atomic Race 8 - Favorite they don't perform til you're going 40
Atomic High Noon

Now I'm in the Market for GS skis.
You can get anything to float In Powder. You can't get all skis to hold an edge on ice.🌲

Goal. Stiff GS and a shorter lighter setup for trees.
Lange Blue Boots💦

Liked the dimle pattern on the race 8. It was a speed feature. For me, easier to grab and carry around.
Meow

Cobbold

Each of us brings a set of skills to the table and mixes them to make the best runs. I'm a big believer in mixing my skills to adapt to a different ski, rather than seeking out a ski that most conveniently matches my preferred use of the skills. And that's why I use about 6 different pairs of skis over the course of any season. It adds a different kind of challenge to the sport. (That being said, it's been a while since I used a "straight ski".)
Joshua,

liked your reviews over at ski talk, what makes the peak 104’s stand out.? Is it the keyhole technology? Do you think keyhole tech is real or just marketing buzz words?

deadheadskier

Staff member

We all do this to an extent. I own the Volkl M102 for off Piste skiing, but I'll often be using them on icy groomers on the way too and from the off Piste. Likewise on race nights at Pat's, I might be skiing my Dobermans through loose granular conditions on the way to the icy course or maybe even take them down Hurricane if the bumps look particularly inviting.

But there's a certain element of square peg, round hole with ski design and usage. I can probably ski bumps on my Dobermans better than 99% of the skiing population could ski on a purpose built bump ski. I didn't get that ability from practicing bumps on GS skis. I got there through thousands of hours of skiing bumps on skis that were designed well for bumps. Lots a time in my youth spending all day on Sels Choice at Okemo on a set of Rossi 4M.

Trying to develop certain skill sets on the wrong equipment will slow improvement at those skills. You can't teach someone / have them learn bumps or powder on a set of Dobermans as well as Volkl M102. Likewise if someone wants to improve at racing, trying to teach / learn racing on a set M102 is a horrible choice and the skier simply will not improve as fast at racing as they would on a set of Dobermans.

You do you and whatever it is that challenges you and makes it fun. If that's taking a race ski down a mogul field or 12" of powder in trees, have at it. That's not a philosophy / strategy I'd recommend to others though. That's the reason why there are so many different kinds of skis today, especially for advanced skiers vs the 1980s where if you were an expert, you pretty much had the choice of SL or GS race skis only at the top end of the market with a few niche exceptions like Rossi 4M bumps skis mentioned prior.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
We all do this to an extent. I own the Volkl M102 for off Piste skiing, but I'll often be using them on icy groomers on the way too and from the off Piste. Likewise on race nights at Pat's, I might be skiing my Dobermans through loose granular conditions on the way to the icy course or maybe even take them down Hurricane if the bumps look particularly inviting.

But there's a certain element of square peg, round hole with ski design and usage. I can probably ski bumps on my Dobermans better than 99% of the skiing population could ski on a purpose built bump ski. I didn't get that ability from practicing bumps on GS skis. I got there through thousands of hours of skiing bumps on skis that were designed well for bumps. Lots a time in my youth spending all day on Sels Choice at Okemo on a set of Rossi 4M.

Trying to develop certain skill sets on the wrong equipment will slow improvement at those skills. You can't teach someone / have them learn bumps or powder on a set of Dobermans as well as Volkl M102. Likewise if someone wants to improve at racing, trying to teach / learn racing on a set M102 is a horrible choice and the skier simply will not improve as fast at racing as they would on a set of Dobermans.

You do you and whatever it is that challenges you and makes it fun. If that's taking a race ski down a mogul field or 12" of powder in trees, have at it. That's not a philosophy / strategy I'd recommend to others though. That's the reason why there are so many different kinds of skis today, especially for advanced skiers vs the 1980s where if you were an expert, you pretty much had the choice of SL or GS race skis only at the top end of the market with a few niche exceptions like Rossi 4M bumps skis mentioned prior.
Lots of practice is good. Lots of practice with a superb mentor is even better. I was fortunate to find one.