• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico Mountain: January 7, 2007 (Death Cookies Galore)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: January 7, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Pico Mountain

Trailboss Day # : 21

Ms. Trailboss Day # : 6

Conditions: Ice/Death Cookies

Trip Report: We took our chances today. When we went to the car, it was warm, but not too warm. We were :eek: and :( when we saw the mountain....basically any snow from the guns or from the sky, which had accumulated over the past three weeks is gone. Cover was thinnest it has been all season. The parking lot was a mess. Not good.

First run was down Gold Rush, which was not too bad. Edgeable, but death cookies. From here we decided to try the summit. We'd seen people covered in ice and did not know why....well we found out. I am :eek: that 49er was open.....I would not have opened it myself...upper part was ice and large death cookies. It got a bit better as one got down, but not much better. The bottom half had snow guns going....spraying right at you. And they were spread out so that you had to 'tuck and pray' to get through.

So after a few minutes to dry up in the lodge, we tried Gnome's Knoll. Not bad...still death cookies and ice. Triple Slope had some tricky spots in it. Ace of Clubs was good.

We closed on Gold Rush for a couple runs before closing at 11:30. It was getting crowded and some of the young racers were doing a good job standing in the middle of the trails and blocking trail entrances and intersections. That got annoying. They are a necessary evil though...without them, the place probably would not be open.

So my advice is wait for cold air and snow. We got out.....

bigbog

Similar conditions.......

A few trails groomed...up high were nice(Competition Hill, Hayburner, King's Landing)..at the Loaf, but most terrain was similar to your experience @Pico trailboss...rock-solid cookies, icy-sheets, and rock-hard bombardier tracks really narrowed trails in certain stretches :rolleyes: An incredible exercise for one's balance. The cookies up top were not huge..and had some underlying PP, thus was do-able but my skiing in the middle-to-lower trail sections...below lengthy icy-sheets and exposed rocks/dirt ..was not very elegant.. :lol:
A little snow is in the forecast, along with snowmaking temps all week so Sunday's level of skiing will soon be forgotten.. :lol:

Last edited:

skijay

I am kind of glad I went to Snow on Saturday instead of Pico today as originally planned.