• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pierce and Eisenhower

montvm

Date(s) Hiked:2/28/07

Trails(s) Hiked:Ascent= Crawford Path Connector/Crawford Path/Webster Cliff/Eisenhower loop

Total Distance:10 miles

Difficulty:Moderate/Strenuous
Conditions:Super Highway packed No need for snow shoes

Special Required Equipment:Wind gear and normal winter Gear.

Trip Report:Hiked Pierce and Eisenhower on Last Wednesday Feb 28th. Bear booted the whole trip. Sorry this is so late but just got pictures today at work from my buddy. We had a beautiful day, partly cloudy, but mostly sunny. My Car said that it was Ten degrees at the trail head, but it was 35 on the summit of Pierce. The wind was whipping pretty good above tree line, especially on Eisenhower. We met another hiker on Eisenhower that had come from Washington that day, and said that Washington was calmer than Eisenhower. He was hiking with a smaller dog, black, maybe like a terrier or something. It had doggie booties and a gortex sweater with a handle so he could lift him over more difficult obstacles. He told me that he was hiking the 48 peaks twice this winter for charity. Anyone no who he is. I wanted to find out more about the charity but it was so freakin windy and cold that we only had enough time to snap a couple of pics for him. Her are some pictures of the trip.

Me on Crawford Path
IMG_0073.JPG

My buddy Matt on Crawford path
IMG_0078.JPG

Snow covered Trees
IMG_0080.JPG

Crawford path opens up on the Shoulder of Pierce to reveal Eisenhower in the foreground and Washington in the Background
IMG_0088.JPG

Washington was in and out of the clouds all day
IMG_0090.JPG

Shot of Mt. Washington Valley and Bretton Woods
IMG_0094.JPG

Summit of Pierce
IMG_0099.JPG

Mt. Washington seems so close you could touch her, (Summit of Eisenhower)
IMG_0108.JPG

Summit Cairn of Eisenhower
IMG_0110.JPG

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
hehehe Monroe looks so tiny :)

When I was on Eisenhower in September it was clear as I ascended, when I summitted it was socked in. I hung around for about 10-15 mins before giving up on seeing any sort of view. sure enough as I got to the col between Pierce and Eisenhower the darned thing cleared up!

montvm

hehehe Monroe looks so tiny :)

When I was on Eisenhower in September it was clear as I ascended, when I summitted it was socked in. I hung around for about 10-15 mins before giving up on seeing any sort of view. sure enough as I got to the col between Pierce and Eisenhower the darned thing cleared up!

You really feel as if Washington is soo close by. Which peak is Monroe, is it the little pointy bumb in the 2nd to last picture in the forground?

Our orginall plan was to go to hit Franklin and Monroe too, but not enough time to do it, we didn't start our hike until almost 930am.

walkerd2

We met another hiker on Eisenhower that had come from Washington that day, and said that Washington was calmer than Eisenhower. He was hiking with a smaller dog, black, maybe like a terrier or something. It had doggie booties and a gortex sweater with a handle so he could lift him over more difficult obstacles. He told me that he was hiking the 48 peaks twice this winter for charity. Anyone no who he is. I wanted to find out more about the charity but it was so freakin windy and cold that we only had enough time to snap a couple of pics for him. Her are some pictures of the trip.

It must have been Tom and Atticus you met.

Mike P.

Great shots, thanks for sharing. Hopefully the weather improves for Saturday!