• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill 01-08-10

dmc

Killer day.. I've been to this joint in spring but never with fresh...

Knee deep snow in the woods... Boney in spots.. Will get better...
Chopped on the trail...
All trails open...

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_12041.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
Wow...that looks excellent.

Better than MRG today in my opinion.

Damn stirrer.

dmc

A whole lot closer.... :)

You up tomorrow for the big bash? Going to stay a bit before heading home?

ta&idaho

I was up there today. Not quite as fresh, but still delicious. Outstanding day of skiing.

Such a fun mountain. Unbelievable that its so close to the city. Don't really understand why more people don't ski there, at least on days like this (which seem less uncommon than I would have thought).

Here are few pics:

plattekill1.jpg

plattekill2.jpg

plattekill3.jpg

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I was up there today. Not quite as fresh, but still delicious. Outstanding day of skiing.

Such a fun mountain. Unbelievable that its so close to the city. Don't really understand why more people don't ski there, at least on days like this (which seem less uncommon than I would have thought).

Here are few pics:

plattekill1.jpg

plattekill2.jpg

plattekill3.jpg

Looks gorgeous. I love that place...need to get back..its been a few years.

ta&idaho

A few other Plattekill observations:

-The new snowmaking is noticeable. They've clearly expanded their capactiy, and they seem to be using it to maximum advantage. Its no Hunter, but it looks like they'll be able to blow significant snow on Northface (which had large whales built up top-to-bottom) and the Face, plus use portable guns to fill in bare spots (yesterday they were setting up to blow under the double lift, at the bottom of Plunge). Although snowmaking trails will never be their thing, I'm guessing this should increase the number of days that they have a decent base upon which all the lake effect powdery goodness may land (and improve the consistency of lesson programs, race programs, etc.).

-The mountain is run for serious skiers and riders. Some runs are groomed, but many aren't (and the wider groomed runs, like the Face, leave a large swath of ungroomed down the side). Everything that is even remotely skiable is open, despite rocks, stumps, cliffs aplenty.

Just an awesome place, all around.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Of all the areas in the Catskills, Plattekill is the one I've always been most interested in. Looks awesome

kingslug

Hunter 1/11/09

Well they must have had a grooming party as the whole place is pretty much...groomed. Racers, Clairs, cliff, hell everything but the usual bumpers, x over, lower K. Clairs was pretty slick up top but better as it went on. It's getting pretty skied off as they haven't gotten anything new or blew anything new. Cliff to Racers was the run of the day. Some bumps on 42nd street to play around on without too much sliding.

ta&idaho

bumps on blockbuster yet or not enough base / skiers?

thanks

As of Saturday, bumps were still in the formative stages on more trafficked runs. Probably the most advanced on Plunge, followed by Freefall, followed by Blockbuster. One comment about Blockbuster: they seemed to have mowed down the brush that poked through before.

dmc

As of Saturday, bumps were still in the formative stages on more trafficked runs. Probably the most advanced on Plunge, followed by Freefall, followed by Blockbuster. One comment about Blockbuster: they seemed to have mowed down the brush that poked through before.

So they don't seed bums at Plat? cool... :)