• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

Wavewheeler

Is that a metal spike coming off the side of your vehicle? That's some Mad Max sh!t

You mean the tow hook on the front bumper? All Jeep Wranglers have those. They are attachment point for tow straps to get yourself or someone else unstuck when offroad

The last pic is of the deer hair on the front bumper. It didn't hit the side at all. I got it with my tire, front bumper and passenger side fender.

MadMadWorld

You mean the tow hook on the front bumper? All Jeep Wranglers have those. They are attachment point for tow straps to get yourself or someone else unstuck when offroad

I know the last pic just looked funny. Glad your okay. I had a deer run into the side of my car while I was on the highway it's scary. Glad all of the humans are okay. Someone should tie a "Get Well Soon" balloon to the deers hoof

Wavewheeler

I don't think it's getting well anytime soon. It didn't die right away either. Not pretty. Fortunately I did see it and was able to slow down and didn't hit at 55 mph. I was doing about 20 mph. I tried to swerve around it but it seemed determined to get hit. I've had squirrels do that and come close to hitting deer but this one surprised me. Fortunately I was fine and the Jeep just suffered cosmetic damage. That's what insurance is for.

Cornhead

Venison Spiedies, yum!:D How'd you like Platty?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Wavewheeler

Shame no one wanted that deer. I asked the guy with the plow who pushed the deer off the road if he wanted it but he declined. I like venison but I had no way of carting it home. I can barely fit my skis in the back of the Jeep!

I liked Platty a lot. That's one ski resort I'd actually go to on a weekend.:thumbup: It's a throwback to a different era. I felt Gore was like that but this was even more so. It was really cool! I'll def be going back.

A great day despite the deer. At least it happened after I skied, not before

BenedictGomez

Last weekend on my way to Platty there was a VERY frozen deer on the side of 28. They must like playing chicken out there.

BenedictGomez

On Platty's website, the entire condition report says MGPP/PP for every single trail.

Did they really groom the entire mountain or is it a case of the web person not knowing WTH they're talking about? It would be very unusual for Platty to do that, it's a skiers mountain and they normally leave a ton of terrain natural.

abc

Sad.

I was able to avoid about 5-6 of them crossing Rt 30, at 30 second intervals!

Saw the first 2 or 3 from a long ways away. Then one as I got closer so I slowed down. Then saw another, so my brain finally engaged and I stepped on the break. Missed one more who jumped out 10 feet in front of my by then stopped car. I sat there for another half a minute, just when I was ready to move, one more jumped out where the previous one crossed...

abc

On Platty's website, the entire condition report says MGPP/PP for every single trail.

Did they really groom the entire mountain or is it a case of the web person not knowing WTH they're talking about? It would be very unusual for Platty to do that, it's a skiers mountain and they normally leave a ton of terrain natural.
No, they didn't groom much on the double side. Well, not with the machine groomer anyway. I'd called some of the trails "skier groomed"!

Wavewheeler

Quite the opposite when it comes to grooming, at least yesterday. Except for the greens and one blue (Sundown) everything was left natural. I don't know if this was because it had just snowed more than a foot of snow though. Maybe on a "regular day" they do? First time I went there was yesterday.

Wavewheeler

Sad.

I was able to avoid about 5-6 of them crossing Rt 30, at 30 second intervals!

Saw the first 2 or 3 from a long ways away. Then one as I got closer so I slowed down. Then saw another, so my brain finally engaged and I stepped on the break. Missed one more who jumped out 10 feet in front of my by then stopped car. I sat there for another half a minute, just when I was ready to move, one more jumped out where the previous one crossed...

Deer often travel in herds. If you see one run cross the road you can be sure a few more will follow so you have to make sure you stop and wait for all of them to cross. I see it all the time...One will run across and then a few seconds a bunch more follow.

I didn't see any deer on the way there. On the ride home I saw some in the woods coming up on the road. I honked the horn and they ran back into the woods. I was driving on Route 30 and out of the corner of my eye I saw it come up from the right side of the road..I think there might have been two. One ran back down into the ditch, the other was stupid enough to keep coming. I swerved to avoid it but it literally ran into my Jeep. Fortunately I slowed down so I hit at about 30 mph. It might've been a lot worse if I'd been doing 55 mph as I had been a few seconds earlier.

We have a lot of deer where I live and it's much more populated then the area around Roxbury. It happened a few miles south of Roxbury on Rte 30.

BenedictGomez

Quite the opposite when it comes to grooming, at least yesterday. Except for the greens and one blue (Sundown) everything was left natural.

That's normally what they do after snow. Why the website says MGPP on every trail I dont know.

We have a lot of deer where I live and it's much more populated then the area around Roxbury.

They're like gnats here too. If you go 3 days without seeing a deer where I live, that would be unusual.

Wavewheeler

The deer wander around in herds in places like Colts Neck. This is Monmouth County, not exactly farm country. More like McMansions and strip malls.

I don't know why the Platty website is like that. I saw that the night before and figured that it can't be accurate. What I got was exactly what I expected, it being a small skier's mountain. Heck, they didn't even have the pathways in and out of the lodge to the lifts shoveled! We're talking minimalist here! :lol: I had no expectation that anything would be groomed, especially the blacks. It was fine by me.

I got the impression that they know exactly who comes there to ski and what they want and acres of groomed corduroy isn't it.

I can't imagine anyone who knows about Platty going there expecting a smaller version of Hunter. It's like comparing oranges vs apples.

abc

Deer often travel in herds. If you see one run cross the road you can be sure a few more will follow so you have to make sure you stop and wait for all of them to cross. I see it all the time...One will run across and then a few seconds a bunch more follow.
I too, see herds crossing roads. But this was different, they were very far apart. The first couple I saw I was so far away the deer looked as small as dogs. It wasn't until I was close enough to see the next couple as deer!

The last one came out was really struggling to clear the snow bank. Maybe that's why they were so far apart, the smaller ones had trouble keeping up with the herd in the deep snow.

Jersey Skier

I got the impression that they know exactly who comes there to ski and what they want and acres of groomed corduroy isn't it.

I can't imagine anyone who knows about Platty going there expecting a smaller version of Hunter. It's like comparing oranges vs apples.

Yesterday, some of the blacks were 1/2 groomed in the AM. By afternoon they were bumped up too. If you can learn to at least enjoy the challenge of trying to ski crud you will always have empty slopes to yourself at Platty.

ScottySkis

Today Sun. last day of winter lifts at Platty hopefullly somemake it. i hear Harvey Road will be their. Moguls snow on most of trails good base sun babes wet jeans fun times enjoy .i did this winter thanks for the fun times several vreT snow days more then ave it was fanastice. fun times at other hills to enjoy whi ever gets out today.

ScottySkis

On Platty website facebook if they seell 100 tickets for $20 each for this coming Sunday they eill reopen. if they seell the dont tickets they will refund 9ney.

WHY NOT! Up for 1 MORE DAY of skiing and riding?
If we can pre-sell 100 tix for $20 by Friday for this Sunday, we'll open! If not, we'll refund your money and call it a season! https://plattekill.ltibooking.com/product?product_id=54&start_date=2014-04-13

Last edited:

ScottySkis

It's official...time to get out the golf clubs and the yard rakes, we're calling it a season! HUGE thank you to all who supported the idea of opening Sunday, but we just didn't make the numbers. We've got LOTS of new improvements coming next winter -- stay tuned! Thanks to ALL our Platty fans for AN AWESOME SEASON!!!!!!!!!

Platty will not open this Sunday