• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poland Trip

ctenidae

Bought the tickets for a week in Poland last night. Nov 22-30th. Ski areas better be open when I get back.

My wife's uncle is a ski/sports distributor in Poland. Any ideas on good Euro-only equipment I ought to be keeping an eye out for? May try to take a few "leftovers" off his hands for him.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
ctenidae said:
Bought the tickets for a week in Poland last night. Nov 22-30th. Ski areas better be open when I get back.

My wife's uncle is a ski/sports distributor in Poland. Any ideas on good Euro-only equipment I ought to be keeping an eye out for? May try to take a few "leftovers" off his hands for him.

Can't answer your questions. What part are you going to? I was there last year for Christmas and New Year's interesting country, enjoy!

ctenidae

We'll be in Lodz for a couple of days (in-law's house), Warsaw for the weekend (in-law's bar), and probably Kracow for a couple days (wife's friends). Wanted to try to get in a day or two of skiing at Katowice, but I don't think it'll happen. Maybe, though.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
ctenidae said:
We'll be in Lodz for a couple of days (in-law's house), Warsaw for the weekend (in-law's bar), and probably Kracow for a couple days (wife's friends). Wanted to try to get in a day or two of skiing at Katowice, but I don't think it'll happen. Maybe, though.

I have relatives in the Plock area, which is 50-60 miles north of Warsaw and a brother-in-law in Warsaw. Kracow looks really intereseting and Warsaw was a lot of fun. Hope you enjoy your trip.

ctenidae

Kracow is great- old school, college town with a ton of history and character. Really cool place, I think. Warsaw is great, too- the mix between Soviet-era "new" and 1500's old is neat to ssee, as is the evidence of change. I don't expect to get a lot out of Lodz, since its an industrial town more than anything else. Warsaw ought to be fun, though- this is my father-in-law's bar: www.barbiebar.pl Ought to be rocking over teh weekend.

Heh- the only European country that doesn't produce any skis is Poland.

jaja111

I think I may have nightmares from that link. And that little techno tune will be popping into my head at the WRONG times.

ctenidae

I turned the volume up to hear what song they had going. At just the wrong time. Nice lyrics.

Apparently the bar keeps going until about 6am. That's so far past my bedtime, there's no way I'm going to make it. Fortunately, they have an apartment upstairs from the bar. I'll be asleep by 10 pm.

Opening that bar was a stroke of brilliance, I think. There are no gay bars in Warsaw (or, there weren't), and that place has gotten so popular it's really more of a "gay friendly" bar now. All the loans were paid off in less than two years, and the beer distributors are fighting each other to be the supplier. Z's a consummate businessman- he really doesn't care what the business is, as long as it's making money. Some distributors are even wanting to finance him opening a few more bars in Warsaw and in Kracow.