• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poll - Do you thank the liftie???

Do you thank the liftie??

• Always

Votes: 58 64.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • Never

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Only sarcastically after getting hit in the back of the leg!

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Telemechanic

I voted "always" but then I realized I really only say "thanks" to the fixed grip lifties after the "bump". If an attendant at a detachable is paying attention I'll say "hello" or something equivalent.

This too is the pattern I remember from the days when I was a liftie

jaywbigred

Yeah, I say hello to detachable guys if they are paying attention, and I always say thank you to the fixie guys if they at least attempt to help load. Some of them (e.g. Camelback this weekend) don't even touch the chair, so I don't say anything to them in that case. Thus, I voted sometimes, though I would have voted "usually" or "almost always" if they had been options.

4aprice

Some of them (e.g. Camelback this weekend) don't even touch the chair, so I don't say anything to them in that case. Thus, I voted sometimes, though I would have voted "usually" or "almost always" if they had been options.

I always say hi to the HSQ operators, especially the cute red head at the Sullivan Quad. They are really just there to make sure 5 people don't try to load onto a 4 person chair. (it happens more then you can imagine). On a fixed grip I always say thank you.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

MrsG

Good thread - actually thought about this the other day:) Always for me, also do the grab for the chair regardless . . . a thank you to the ticket checker too, even though I find it irritating at times . . . and a nod to the HS peeps:)

mondeo

I just sit down a little early rather than grab the chair. Except with the Jamaican guy at Bear. Best liftie ever.

MrsG

He is the best - evah:) . . . and, the Jamaican ticket-checker at the SQuad is great . . . a little shy, especially compared to Fitz, but nice nonetheless:) . . . they have great attitudes!!!

Swamp Dog

I always do. Looks like it's time for some home made cookies to make their way to the lift as well. If we don't get some fresh snow soon, it's lights out.

Yesterday I skied with a friend who knew the lifties at the HSQ. EVERY time we came thru they slowed for her. It was pretty funny.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I give a Hi, how are ya, pretty much always.

Perhaps I should give a thanks though. Last month at Mad River I got damaged on the Single. Maybe the spring was worn on the particular chair I was about to get on, but the safety gate wasn't wide open, it was angled in. I took the butt of the safety bar poll straight in the square of the back, decked me right to the ground, lift stopped while the line was a good half hour :oops:. I got a good bruise out of the ordeal, but I could have really been hurt. People close in line were like dayum! and fully expected me to stay down, vicious blow.

Part of me wanted to deck the liftie, but I kept a cool head and laughed it off saying I bet that's not the first time you've seen this. His response? Actually it is, first day on the job. The more experienced guys spent the rest of the afternoon showing him how it's done right.

next lift I ride, I'll say thanks.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I always do. Looks like it's time for some home made cookies to make their way to the lift as well. If we don't get some fresh snow soon, it's lights out.
It's gotten to the point where some of the lifties and ticket scanners recognize me; if I don't have baked goods on the mountain when I'm there, they think their boss is holding out on them. :lol: I usually make it a point to bring something in once a week for them. :D

Euler

Always.

Also...skiing parent tip: when skiing with a small child, stand 6 inches or so BEHIND the line your kid is standing on so if a calf whack occurs, the chair hits the grown ups calfs, not the kids.

BackLoafRiver

I always say thanks, especially if it is a powder day. At Sugarloaf, there are a couple female lifties who are uber cute so, their "thank you" might be a little more enthusiastic. :)

SkiDork

to those who've been a fixed grip liftie: How strenuous is that job? I imagine you've gotta be in pretty good shape heaving those heavy chairs like that over and over...