• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pop-up campers...any advice?

hammer

Have my eye on this one. Unfortunately I don't know what to look for as far as price and quality.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/rvs/1686987743.html
I didn't know either, which means I probably paid too much.

Biggest thing I looked for was evidence of mildew damage and major problems with the structure or canvas. I purchased through a dealer so they warrantied the appliances for one season.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
One other thing to learn is how to back up to the pop-up hitch without a spotter...:roll:
Has to be more fun than with a spotter. All these years later, the fights my parents had trying to get their camp trailer parked on campsites still remain with me. :eek:

MommaBear

Not sure if anyone gave you this advice but the key to backing up anything on a hitch is to steer with one hand and place it in the 6:00 position. You then move your hand in the direction that you want to trailer to go.

Hell of a lot easier explained than what I do in my head - left to go right, right to go left! lol! Thanks for the tip (thou not intended for me).

High school parking lot is where I practiced.

@ Severine - "fond" memories myself of my parents "working together" to get our camper into sites and then back in the family driveway. Swore I'd never do that to my kids. Yet, here I am - "can't see you!" "what does THAT hand signal mean" (my son does this pointing thing with his finger...at least its not the middle one.) Guess they will have the same fond memories we all grew up with. :-?

hammer

@ Severine - "fond" memories myself of my parents "working together" to get our camper into sites and then back in the family driveway. Swore I'd never do that to my kids. Yet, here I am - "can't see you!" "what does THAT hand signal mean" (my son does this pointing thing with his finger...at least its not the middle one.) Guess they will have the same fond memories we all grew up with. :-?
Whenever my son hears us discussing things like this (what does "that way" mean? :wink:) he reminds me of this part of Family Guy Blue Harvest:

Hawkshot99

gorgonzola

well.....?

it's been a busy summer with home/yard stuff, grad party and an island vacation so i'm just rolling ours out for the first time this afternoon - of course it's raining for the first time in three weeks!
how'd the new mobile digs working out?

hammer

well.....?

it's been a busy summer with home/yard stuff, grad party and an island vacation so i'm just rolling ours out for the first time this afternoon - of course it's raining for the first time in three weeks!
how'd the new mobile digs working out?
Will be taking the third trip this weekend...staying 3 nights in Franconia.

Realized that while our tow vehicle (2001 Toyota Highlander) is rated at 3500 lb, it's at/near its limit with a fully loaded pop-up and family of 4 plus small dog (empty weight of the pop-up is just over 1900 lb). Making sure the tires are properly inflated on the camper and vehicle is a must...didn't check on the first trip and it ended up being a bit of a white-knuckle experience.

Set-up is definitely more involved, but we're getting used to it. Being up off the ground is great, especially when it's raining out. Don't miss the tent and air mattress.

We hope to get at least one additional trip in the fall.