• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Portage

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
For those of you how like to paddle (canoe or kayak), and like to hike, I was wondering what has been your longest portage with your vessel? Make sure you list vessel type, water bodies, distance traveled, and how you carried.

The longest portage was with my father in Quebec near Kipiwa about 25 years ago. We had to portage due to rapids, and we had to walk about a mile each way. First the canoe, 20' Grumman, then two or three more trips for the rest of the gear. I need to look up the river as I can not remember it.

bigbog

portages from hell....

Hey JSM,
Well...wayyy back in my pre-teens...was introduced to remote, spring-fed, trout-laden bog expeditions;-)...with quite a few portages of ~2mi in length. Not seriously long in comparison to the monsters in various parts of North America...but the 17' wood/canvas thing...:-o Wood and Canvas :lol:..and we're NOT talking of the canadian Prospector masterpieces! We're talking the old, heavy American monsters.. Over time I would try doing the honors of haulin it while granddad carried everything else...including a big smile.....NEVER AGAIN!!!
The composites are soooo nice....and even the thin wood hulls are a pleasure in comparison to the old relics....let em' die! ;-)
God love my late granddad, introduced me to the Maine woods...and just let me have my own time there, but holy christ...that 17 footer..without the comfortable yokes of today!..;-)

Steve

Last edited: