• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

R.I.P. Pontiac: 1926-2010

ComeBackMudPuddles

I've driven quite a few Pontiacs in my life, and have been a huge fan of the 1960s GTO since I was a wee little boy....Even though it seemed inevitable, I'm sad to see the end has come today. :cry:

R.I.P.

Couldn't resist including a few pictures, including two good recent models (Solstice Coupe and G8 ), the great KITT of the 1980s, Burt Reynold's ride from the 70s and two great GTOs.

0803_03a+2009_pontiac_solstice_coupe+side_view.jpg

9-2008-pontiac-g8.jpg

knight_rider_iso.jpg

121_1291802404454788e6eda0a.jpg

1969-pontiac-archives.jpg

hppp_0704_1967_pontiac_gto_1280x768.jpg

Out of respect for the dead, let's not talk too much about these Pontiacs....:oops:

2009-Pontiac-G3-001.jpg

4pontiac_aztec.jpg

PontiacTransSport-01.jpg

58124811_dd2744e295.jpg

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I owned a 1982 Pontiac Firebird 5 speed. Something was always breaking on it but man could I rip some turns in it. Coincidentally, I owned this during my non-skiing years, so I'm not that attached to that period of my life.

1984PontiacTransAmMattW.jpg

gmcunni

i had a 77 firebird for a long time. wasn't as nice looking at the 77 trans am above but i liked it. only had a 305 though :-(

Glenn

It's a bummer when these brands go under. While GM does a lot of "platform sharing", each brand did have some unique models. It's tough to see something with a lot of history just fade away.

Warp Daddy

Drove some nice Pontiacs in my day they were HOT in the 60's

But alas ---------GM SUX - corporate greed , shoddy workmanship and absolutely clueless product plannin and development --

SnowFaction

I'll just blame the unions that pay out full health benefits to retirees even if the company isn't doing well anymore. It really should be a percentage based on company performance. This is one reason why you see a lot of foreign companies doing a bit better.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It is ashame. My first car was a 1969 Grand Prix Model J. 428 (yes that's 7.0 ltrs) with a 4-barrel carb.

When you opened her up, to this day, I have never experienced torque like when those extra 2 barrels opened up on that carb.

Here's a pic of a sweet one I found. Mine never looked this good....but I kept her running really smoothly.....

Edd

I'll just blame the unions that pay out full health benefits to retirees even if the company isn't doing well anymore. It really should be a percentage based on company performance. This is one reason why you see a lot of foreign companies doing a bit better.

Ah, now there's an idea. It works well at my company.

o3jeff

Sad to see them go down, but until there are some drastic changes, they might not be the last.

And don't forget when GM closes down for the 9 weeks this summer the employees will collect almost their full wages. They get unemployment plus GM will pay the rest to get them to their regular wages per their union contract, how can a company succeed?

campgottagopee

Let's not forget the Fiero. Was pretty cool toolin' down the highway watching those babys burst into flames. :-o

campgottagopee

Yes as more then 21,000 more americans will lose their jobs i do think it sucks.
More layoffs will come for more americans in the future so maybe you guys should have a big ol party in celebration.
Think of all the canadians who will be losing their jobs as well. You guys must be so happy. :beer:

I hear Nissan, Toyota, Subaru and Honda are hiring---maybe they'll bring your lame ass on

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So good for america to shut down detoit and go with toyota motor city.
I have just researched an ancient spell that i will now hex you with.
thginot peels uoy sa daeh ruoy no eep dna sugarapsa fo tola tae god ruoy yaM
Is it just me, or was this post just a little bizarre-o?

campgottagopee

So good for america to shut down detoit and go with toyota motor city.
I have just researched an ancient spell that i will now hex you with.
thginot peels uoy sa daeh ruoy no eep dna sugarapsa fo tola tae god ruoy yaM

the "shut down" will be good in the long run-----a total re-structure of the Big 3 has been long over due and I'm sick an tired of people getting fat for sub-par performances.

As for your hex, you are a child.