• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Results Are IN!! Condorcet Poll Best Ski Resorts in NY, ME, NH & VT

Mullen

I'm surprised MRG is #4. I expected possibly #2, with the lowest being #3 due to all the hype on this board. I think the only thing it's got going against it is that there are such long wait times on big pow days

Tough to be any higher than that when you only allow one way of snow sliding to ride the lifts, and rely on natural snow so much.

Last edited:

skiersleft

Tough to be any higher than that when you only allow one way of snow sliding to ride the lifts, and rely on natural snow so much.

I'm pretty sure the skiers only policy only adds to MRG's allure in the eyes of most AZoners. Including me, FWIW.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I speculate it's only because this is a board of mostly expert skiers, who are heavily weighting tree skiing disproportionately to other ski factors in their decision-making process. That would lead to a "Jay bias" in the poll.
I am aware of the board's bias but I was still surprised. This board doesn't seem to have a lot of folks that ski Jay very often. It always seems more like there are a few people that are really into Jay and it doesn't get talked about much by the vast majority. The board used to be really slanted towards Sugarbush. And overall Stowe is a superior mountain (actually, I am not sure if I put Jay over Mansfield or not... like I said before, for me it depends on the day and whether the ridge is skiable or not).

BenedictGomez

Bolton Valley beat Okemo so all is right in the world.

I think Bolton Valley is much better than most people realize. The truth is, not many people as a function of the whole have skied there, and probably many that have have only done so once.

And overall Stowe is a superior mountain (actually, I am not sure if I put Jay over Mansfield or not... like I said before, for me it depends on the day and whether the ridge is skiable or not).

I think Stowe is substantially better than Jay Peak as an overall mountain. On map tree skiing is about the only criteria where I'd rank Jay higher. And if you include apres-ski and/or an "off ski" day into the mix the disparity grows.

Tin

After seeing this I have to get to Magic and Burke this year. Was surprised to see both so high up and over a place like Stratton or on par with K.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
After seeing this I have to get to Magic and Burke this year. Was surprised to see both so high up and over a place like Stratton or on par with K.
If you like natural snow, trees, and an old school vibe, both definitely are better (and cheaper) than Stratton and Killington.

ScottySkis

I think Bolton Valley is much better than most people realize. The truth is, not many people as a function of the whole have skied there, and probably many that have have only done so once.

I think Stowe is substantially better than Jay Peak as an overall mountain. On map tree skiing is about the only criteria where I'd rank Jay higher. And if you include apres-ski and/or an "off ski" day into the mix the disparity grows.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I skiied Bolton like in maybe 2001 when we had a lot of snow that year and ended up in some sick steep awesome glades.

Cannonball

I'm pretty sure the skiers only policy only adds to MRG's allure in the eyes of most AZoners. Including me, FWIW.

I completely understand how a non-competitive business would target a niche market to survive versus getting buried by superior local products. Especially when they have deep pockets willing to pay to support it. That's low-end savvy. Like a pimped-out Hyundai...clever. But adding to the allure of most "AZoners"? hardly.

skiersleft

I completely understand how a non-competitive business would target a niche market to survive versus getting buried by superior local products. Especially when they have deep pockets willing to pay to support it. That's low-end savvy. Like a pimped-out Hyundai...clever. But adding to the allure of most "AZoners"? hardly.

I'm pretty sure it adds to the allure of most skiers here. Just like Alta's policy does. Most non-park skiers will like skiing without boarders. Some just will not admit it. But they do. I just hope more of the "I like skiers only policies" would come out of the closet.

ScottySkis

What are you basing that on? Your own personal market research? I would say most skiers couldn't possibly care less. But what do I know, I ski and ride so I'm not fit to have a biased, jaded perspective.

I don't care what a person does to enjoy their time on the slopes. My uncle who only skis once or twice a season is really scared of snowboarders crashing in to him, hopefully he will realize that is the person and not what they use to get down the hill.

Smellytele

What are you basing that on? Your own personal market research? I would say most skiers couldn't possibly care less. But what do I know, I ski and ride so I'm not fit to have a biased, jaded perspective.

I know I am going to sound old but to me it is more an age thing. While there are more younger boarders than older ones, I do have friends that board and have no problem with older boarders. Younger skiers are just as reckless as young boarders. This leads to the perception that snowboarders are the issue when in fact it is just an age thing. No I am not saying all young skiers and riders are reckless but they tend to be more so than older ones.

skiersleft

I don't care what a person does to enjoy their time on the slopes. My uncle who only skis once or twice a season is really scared of snowboarders crashing in to him, hopefully he will realize that is the person and not what they use to get down the hill.

What the person uses to get down the hill is a good proxy for whether the person is reckless. As a general rule, someone who straps on a board or who clicks in to park skis is more reckless than the average skier. This is obvious to anyone looking at what's going on at most hills.

There's a reason that explains why boarders and park skiers are generally more reckless than average skiers. The average age of boarders and park skiers is much less than the average age of skiers. And the younger the person, the more reckless she is.

What this also means is that once boarders and park skiers get older, they become less reckless. It's the natural process of maturing. Once they are older and more cognizant of the stupid things that they used to do, they become more considerate. And then those more mature boarders and park skiers behave roughly as average skiers.

So, no, there's nothing magical about snowboards or park skis that makes the person using them more reckless. But there is a demographic truth that can't be denied. The truth is that boarders and park skiers are a younger demographic. And the younger a group is, the more reckless they are. And, for those reasons, the odds are in favor that that reckless youngster who was doing some stupid thing was likely a snowboarder or a park skier.

Cannonball

What the person uses to get down the hill is a good proxy for whether the person is reckless. As a general rule, someone who straps on a board or who clicks in to park skis is more reckless than the average skier. This is obvious to anyone looking at what's going on at most hills.

There's a reason that explains why boarders and park skiers are generally more reckless than average skiers. The average age of boarders and park skiers is much less than the average age of skiers. And the younger the person, the more reckless she is.

What this also means is that once boarders and park skiers get older, they become less reckless. It's the natural process of maturing. Once they are older and more cognizant of the stupid things that they used to do, they become more considerate. And then those more mature boarders and park skiers behave roughly as average skiers.

So, no, there's nothing magical about snowboards or park skis that makes the person using them more reckless. But there is a demographic truth that can't be denied. The truth is that boarders and park skiers are a younger demographic. And the younger a group is, the more reckless they are. And, for those reasons, the odds are in favor that that reckless youngster who was doing some stupid thing was likely a snowboarder or a park skier.

As a 43 year old boarder/skier, frankly I think this is BS.

Cannonball

I'm pretty sure it adds to the allure of most skiers here. Just like Alta's policy does. Most non-park skiers will like skiing without boarders. Some just will not admit it. But they do. I just hope more of the "I like skiers only policies" would come out of the closet.

I know I am going to sound old but to me it is more an age thing. While there are more younger boarders than older ones, I do have friends that board and have no problem with older boarders. Younger skiers are just as reckless as young boarders. This leads to the perception that snowboarders are the issue when in fact it is just an age thing. No I am not saying all young skiers and riders are reckless but they tend to be more so than older ones.

So what you are really saying is that there should be "age bans" not "snowboarder bans"

Smellytele

So what you are really saying is that there should be "age bans" not "snowboarder bans"

No. It is up to every ski area on their own. If they want to ban by age have at it. If they want to ban by length of hair have at it. If they want to ban for length of t-shirt go for it. If they want to ban for income oh well.